SAU Community

Took The V35 To The Drags

Well I decided that I had nothing better to do tonight so I took the V35 to the drags

best pass was a 14.546 @ 97.4 MPH with a .789 reaction and a 2.32 60ft time

outside temp according to the car was 31deg

I discovered that traction control sucks and = a 15 sec time

I also discovered that sequential shift works best for quick runs and that even though my red line is 6500 its happy to go to 7000 and still not hit the limiter ... :S didn’t rev it out that far again since I dont want to do any damage

I thought my car being an auto had an open diff, turns out its happy to spin both wheels

Car still managed to spin some of 1st gear with 275 35 r 19s on the back

All in all im pretty happy with a 14.5 considering the car is a comfy leather arm chair compared to my old 180sx

Car was loaded with a 3/4 full petrol tank, spare wheel, jack and all the other stuff normaly in the car

From what I can tell car is stock apart from the Nismo cat back

i think if you can have the stock Tyres with good Tyres on it you should be able to go quicker. I remember my friend about 4 years ago with a stock 350z Touring auto manage to break the 14 sec mark in Calder Dragway.

as for references that i took from 350z-tech:

my friend:

Lionking (auto, stock):

Four fastest runs:

- 13.816 @ 162.2kph (60' = 2.095)

- 13.850 @ 163.8kph (60' = 2.120)

- 13.867 @ 163.9kph (60' = 2.114)

- 13.914 @ 159.3kph (60' = 2.059) - fully automatic mode

Notes:

- I was getting some awesome launches. Out of 9 or 10 runs - did so many I lost track - and a couple of slips, 60-70% were near perfect launches. The auto was making this very easy compared to the manual guys. They were struggling to get traction. I just powered up with the brakes on and dumped the brake on the yellow. The traction on the start was just right for my car.

- What rpm where you launching at? Not sure exactly but it is around 2,200 - 2,500 I think.

- I was tryin to hold the gears to 7000. These were my fastest runs. It's quite tricky on the auto though because if you nip the limiter the car will "hang" there for a second or two before shifting.

- I was running 25psi cold in the tyres.

other autos:

Perth 350Z (Auto, stock):

- 14.368sec @ 156.57kph (60' = 2.287)

- 14.463sec @ 157.24kph (60' = 2.333)

Notes:

- I left it on full auto for all my runs.

as for references that i took from 350z-tech:

my friend:

Lionking (auto, stock):

Four fastest runs:

- 13.816 @ 162.2kph (60' = 2.095)

- 13.850 @ 163.8kph (60' = 2.120)

- 13.867 @ 163.9kph (60' = 2.114)

- 13.914 @ 159.3kph (60' = 2.059) - fully automatic mode

Notes:

- I was getting some awesome launches. Out of 9 or 10 runs - did so many I lost track - and a couple of slips, 60-70% were near perfect launches. The auto was making this very easy compared to the manual guys. They were struggling to get traction. I just powered up with the brakes on and dumped the brake on the yellow. The traction on the start was just right for my car.

- What rpm where you launching at? Not sure exactly but it is around 2,200 - 2,500 I think.

- I was tryin to hold the gears to 7000. These were my fastest runs. It's quite tricky on the auto though because if you nip the limiter the car will "hang" there for a second or two before shifting.

- I was running 25psi cold in the tyres.

other autos:

Perth 350Z (Auto, stock):

- 14.368sec @ 156.57kph (60' = 2.287)

- 14.463sec @ 157.24kph (60' = 2.333)

Notes:

- I left it on full auto for all my runs.

THIS IS A FANTASIC THREAD YOU GUYS!....VERY PRACTICAL AND INFORMATIVE!...

THANKYOU FOR SHARING THIS!...I've often wondered what these things can do stock!.

Cheers!

Take note that regardless 350Z sharing the same engine & gearbox with V35 Skyline, the 350Z are always quicker from the factory, as they're a tad lighter.

gotchya!!....all things considered!

So....Are there any mech/tronic differences at all b/w the 2?

So how much lighter is an auto 350z? I thought auto V35s would be around 1600kgs particularly premium models with all the extra bells and wistles

I haven't seen any spec that detailed difference in weight between manual V35 and auto V35. However, based on experiences from other cars, the auto V35 should be heavier (not lighter) and should be slower than a manual one. I believe it's either 1590kg or 1690kg.

For the average driver, auto could be faster down the quarter mile as it's only a few milliseconds of each gear shift, compared to the usual foot clutch in, hand change gear, foot clutch out action that will take longer to do. unless of course you're a seasoned drag pro with superman like reflexes, or you have a sequential dog gearbox.

gearbox are the same between V35 and 350Z I believe, that goes for both auto / tiptronic and manual (with the exception of the 350GT-8 sedan's CVT 8 speed auto that are not found in any aust-delivered Nissan - different to Murano's CVT). So more reasons not to fear buying/importing a V35 in my opinion, as suspension, engine, brakes, springs, air filter, air box, oil filter, gearbox, are interchangeable. Not to mention some electricals are quite identical, power window motors, exhaust (with extended 10cm pipe), are surprisingly can be swap between the 2 cars. They're basically built on the same chassis layout, it's just the 350Z has a bit shorter wheelbase.

L8RSXY saw your car in hot4s. looked fkn nuts. looked like u had spent some serious coin on it too $$$$$$. i was interested to see how quick it would go down the quarter you squeezed 207 kw in n/a form very impressive. i wonder would you have spent less on the engine if you had gone straight for a s/c or turbo instead of n/a mods and probably a quicker 1/4 time too? is forced induction next on the menu?

Well I decided that I had nothing better to do tonight so I took the V35 to the drags

best pass was a 14.546 @ 97.4 MPH with a .789 reaction and a 2.32 60ft time

outside temp according to the car was 31deg

I discovered that traction control sucks and = a 15 sec time

I also discovered that sequential shift works best for quick runs and that even though my red line is 6500 its happy to go to 7000 and still not hit the limiter ... :S didn't rev it out that far again since I dont want to do any damage

I thought my car being an auto had an open diff, turns out its happy to spin both wheels

Car still managed to spin some of 1st gear with 275 35 r 19s on the back

All in all im pretty happy with a 14.5 considering the car is a comfy leather arm chair compared to my old 180sx

Car was loaded with a 3/4 full petrol tank, spare wheel, jack and all the other stuff normaly in the car

From what I can tell car is stock apart from the Nismo cat back

'Hey Wanabe' I thought all V35 coupe auto's ran non LSD's, :) how did you get both hoop's to spin on a straight launch! I've done a bit of reseach on this and only the manuals are fitted with LSD's, maybe yours is fitted with a aftermarket Diff, sounds like it! Has anyone on our forum got any info on this subject, or maybe I've been given bum steer. Thanks GT350. :)

maybe because those petrol nutheads are too fanatical to admit anything other than mechanical lsd as lsd.

viscous lsd is the one usually standard.

even with open diff if both side traction are identical, both wheels will spin. only exception is if one wheel on ice or wet road and other side on dry tarmac.

Nice times mate.

ive managed a 14.3 with the open diff and 6mt, going back tomorrow night, with a cusco diff, kinetix plenum and a few other new goodies with a fresh tune, should be interesting.

Drew, he's already got a HKS S/C kit... forced induction is served on the plate already.

i think he has ditched the SC and gone with a twin turbo or big single turbo setup now?

i cant keep up with karem lol