SAU Community

bugger... failed EPA test by 4db

GiJOr33

Yeah, not too happy about it, and i would certainly not say my exhaust is loud!!!!

I've got a HKS Hiper sitting in the garage to go on once i've got my new engine built, so it's gonna cost me a few $$$ to get the car sorted.

I don't know if i should get an extra muffler with flanges put into this current exhaust so that i can then take it out and fit a straight pipe. Which then means when my Hiper goes on i run the risk of having to get another muffler put on. OR should i have the extra muffler fitted to the Hiper and have that fitted to the car now? I'm gonna have flanges put on so that i can take it out and fit a straight pipe for the track :D

It's a pain in the ass. Do i fit the hiper and have the muffler fitted to that? or do i have the muffler fitted to this exhaust and have it tested with that?

Andrew

yeah i have a single can, a resonator, a cat, and some tricky pipe splitting thing... i was sure i'd be under.

I'll just chuck the silencer in to get it tested and take it out once i've passed. Keep it so that next time i get done i know i'll pass.

My new exhaust is 3.5inches straight through so it's gonna be loud too

Pred666,

Mate I've been done 4 being too loud 'bout 3 times now and mine has the std exhaust system from engine to just before the rear axle (incl std cat, std resonator etc etc) with an aftermarket barrel muffler at the end. Got tested at 95dB......

oh you champion!!! how much to rent it?

the only bitch would be fitting it as i'm tipping it's not a simple task to fit an exhaust unless you have a hoist. And how would you go matching the flanges of the 3" cat to the stock exhaust?

GiJOr33:

Wouldn't rent it to you mate... you can borrow it though :)

I know the guy at Mr Muffler here in Epping, might see if we could scab his, car... lifting... thing, for a few minutes one saturday and change it over then or something...

As for the 3" Cat, I dont know... I have a stocker on my car right now, guess worst case scenario we take of my Cat back pipes, throw my cat on your car, and the 3" on mine (So I can use my car in the mean time) or something. I've also got one of those 'Straight thru' Cats (Whick is really just a straight piece of pipe the size of a Cat convertor), but that doesn't really help us here :) . I dunno, maybe someone else has a spare stock cat and could save us the trouble?

I know what it's like to be done for this stuff, so I don't mind helping out one bit. I guess when it comes down to it this is the sort of thing people join car clubs for in the first place... to help like minded people, or something. :)

Cheers

Mad... that would be crazy! :(

I've got another cat that came with the car, don't really know what it is as i haven't checked it out. But i have to have it done by next wednesday... so if ya free on saturday or sunday, i'm in! I tried to get a 2 week extension but they would only give me one. I'm on holidays from friday so i got plenty of time!

Thanks again

Andrew

I dont think they'll pass the car if it has a silencer in it. Ive heard that it has to be completely welded in, and not just bolted or tack welded. Only then will they pass the car with a silencer.

absolutely correct xRHETTx. You can't put in your silencer and get it tested... it has to be wielded otherwise the EPA testers will not, can not do the test. Those exhaust with the switch button silencers are not allowed also. If you got a straight through 3" from turbo back and want to quiet down the noise to exactly 90db, go down to Daalder Exhaust in BoxHill. They have created some 'Special Resonator' which will make your entire exhaust system to exact 90db. I know this doesnt sound rite as all cars are diff.. but hey hhehehe works for me :D

FYI

Mine just got tested yesterday and passed 85dB :)

I got cat back HKS Super Dragger, it has 1 small muffler and 1 resonator in the middle pipe.

However I have to change my blitz bov to std bov before the exhaust test done, as the tester said that after market bov will not pass EPA noise test.

geez... i thought the dragger was a loud exhaust too!!!

i was very suprised that i didn't pass... mine is hardly loud unless you are on full boost and almost in the red, in which case it really opens up and gives a good roar!. But under 5000rpm it's fine. And he revved my car to 4800rpm (apparently that's what the RB25 is to be tested at).

Also where did you get it tested at?