SAU Community

Hard Cold Start

Excess

im having cold start issues (first start in the morning) , i need to give it a tag of throttle to prevent it stalling.

ive recently changed my spark plugs, filters and engine oil from a 10w-50 to a 10w-40.

Thanks

problem been discussed a lot on sau, its common on all r32's to need a blip of the throttle to stop it stalling.

Unfortunately no one has found a solution to this problem :D

When i put in a brand new heavy duty battery it would crank and idle with no throttle, but over the weeks it went back to its stalling.

A possibly solution is to clean the cold air regulator which lets in more air on cold starts. Perhaps this could be getting stuck and causing the stalling;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ai...amp;hl=cold+air

Also doesnt hurt to clean the AAC valve too;

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...html&hl=aac

Let us know how it goes ;)

ok after cleaning the afm and aac, i still get hard cold start but better.

what i want is the crack and let it idle without hesitation oh and without using the throttle.

so the air regulator you rkn ?

ive cleaned the AAC and AFM , there is a noticeable difference after cleaning it. if you haven't do so , i highly suggest you to do that first.

wanna do mine? <3 :)

How is your battery? You might have a weak battery, try recharging overnight and see how it goes.

When i put in a brand new battery it cranked once and jumped to life, but now its gone away :)

Also, when i first purchased the car it had no cold-start issues, it gradually happened after driving the car, so something must have worn out/clogged up during that time..

wanna do mine? <3 :)

How is your battery? You might have a weak battery, try recharging overnight and see how it goes.

When i put in a brand new battery it cranked once and jumped to life, but now its gone away :)

Also, when i first purchased the car it had no cold-start issues, it gradually happened after driving the car, so something must have worn out/clogged up during that time..

is yours RB20?

hmm battery seems fine , then again it came with the car ,ill check that next.

and yea it gradually happened

notice something funny, if i prime the fuel pump before cracking the engine, it most likely gonna have a hard cold start (rev below 700rpm)

HOWEVER, if i start the key straight away without waiting, the car actually starts at first go (rev stays at 7-800rpm bout 1-2 sec and its back to normal 1100-1200 rpm)

but still a tiny bit hesitation but no where near as bad as before.

Mine starts strangely in the morning also, turn the key and it fires up nicely. Revs drop to almost a stall, tap the throttle and up it goes to about 2 grand for a while. Strange yes! Done anything about it, no! :D

Here's a video of my starting which i recorded over a year ago. Sounds similar to yours AdMan

I always have to blip the throttle when starting or it stalls, i tend to blip the throttle into any other car i jump into because of this haha

Im putting in cleaned gtr injectors soon and getting a tune, will see if it will fix the problem.

Also, not sure if it helps, but after i installed a gtr fuel pump, the cold start actually got worse..ho hum

Definately clean your cold air regulator. It's a bit of a bitch to get to but it worked for me.

Had the same cold start problem as you. Turns out the regulator was stuck open, pulled it out and cleaned it and now it starts nicely - no throttle needed.

Hi there, I have had this issue for years now, I had the injectors cleaned, new temp sensor, cleaned the AAC valve and really didn't see that much of difference. One thing I did change which helped a lot was one of the Fuses that goes to the ECU, this made the most noticeable difference but didn't cure the issue. Does anyone have pics of what the Cold Air Reg looks like on a 33? Just want to have a look because it might be worth a crack.

Hi there, I have had this issue for years now, I had the injectors cleaned, new temp sensor, cleaned the AAC valve and really didn't see that much of difference. One thing I did change which helped a lot was one of the Fuses that goes to the ECU, this made the most noticeable difference but didn't cure the issue. Does anyone have pics of what the Cold Air Reg looks like on a 33? Just want to have a look because it might be worth a crack.

^^what he said..

which fuse are you referring to?

Check out this thread for some pics of the cold air reg: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Fi...ob-t174735.html

Seems like it's even harder to get at than in the RB20...