SAU Community

Luxon Monoblock Amp Running 2x 12inch Mtx 5500

Kujotk

Ive had this set up for 5 years and its done me very well.

2x12inch mtx 5500's, in sealed box, one luxon monoblock amp (from strathfield) only 8 guage wireing (wire from battery terminal to amp is only 30cm long). Inline 2 farrad capacitor, running on a pioneer head deck.

i took outmy subbs for a few weeks and left everything else in theboot still connected.

when i reconnect the subbs they move inwards asif i have connected the positive and negaative speaker wires the wrong way around (but ive checked this 100000000 times).

Does it sound like the amp is rooted???? what elsecould it be?

cheers

Incorrect, how ever you would have been correct if his subs were out oh phase with the rest of his system and changing the setting on the head unit from normal to reverse would have fixed the problem along with reversing the polarity of the subs or RCA leads but to me it sounds like your amp is sending DC power to you subs.

This is why the cones on subs are going all the way in and staying there. It is a problem with your amp and it is highly possible that its died. There isnt really a whole lot that can cause this sort of thing apart from a fried amp.however double check over the power connections to the amp,make sure its grounded correctly etc. Try the amp in another car to rule out the rest of your system.

Just read you have a cap in the system too,try removing it or bypassing it to see if that is introducing the problem,its a very slim chance that it is but its something to try.

Jack

you definately do NOT need that 2 farad capacitor for starters... I run 3000WRMS without any capacitors... if you have a decent battery, they're like the spinners of the audio world...

are you saying they move in on the first beat instead of out? or that they move in once powered and stay there??

you definately do NOT need that 2 farad capacitor for starters... I run 3000WRMS without any capacitors... if you have a decent battery, they're like the spinners of the audio world...

are you saying they move in on the first beat instead of out? or that they move in once powered and stay there??

nope definately need the capacitor. with out it my front speakers get distorted and are quiter every time a deep beat is punched. also the headlights dim witout the cap. happend in my old car and in the skyline aswell (although it wasnt as bad in the skyline). Mind you i am running a shit supercheap autos battery, and dont know how well the alternator is running.

changed amps and now i'm blowing the fuses behind the amp. What wires would be shorting to make the fuses blow. everything from the battery/capacitor/amp/subs is wired correctly...... also i by passed the capacitor to see if that was the prob, no change.

is there anything else from the headunit that could cause the amp to short its fuses? its the only thing i'm missing because its a mess behind my headunit and when i installed it i only twisted the wires and electrical taped them up, i'm thinking that mabey the electrical tape has melted (the glue) and it's shorting to something there. but i can't workout why this would happen? there not related at all. got the rca's that plug front and back, and got the remote wire. they are the only wires that connect the headunit and the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Easiest is to take amp out and down to audio joint and ask em to test it, its usually free or maybe $20 or something, they will let you know straight away.

Ooops didnt read whole post. which fuses are blowing? your subs might be killing the fuse because its too small, you may need a larger fuse inbetween the power wire to your amp.

And yeah the cap is a bit over-kill :P I have one amp running at 1x4200rwms @ 2ohm and another 2x800wrms @ 4ohm without cap and just an odyssey battery!

Edited by cactus

You misunderstand me man, I mean to say that if you set the stereo up the right way, then you will NEVER need a capacitor... If you do need one, then there's something that you can improve on...

Are you blowing the wedge fuses IN the amp, or the inline fuse for the power going TO the amp??

actually fixed thr problem today.....

anyway I had no sound through the subs with my original amp.... bought a shitty Boss amp, the boss kept blowing the amp fuses (all 4 of them at a time),,,, couldnt work out why it kept blowing..... took it to a mate who used to install them professionally,,,, he went over the whole car and checked the vital stats, all was good.... threw in the boss amp again and it still blew all the amps, at this point my mate says the amp is rooted, take it back and exchange,,,, went back this morning and threw another boss one in, atleast this amp turned on ad didnt blow fuses. Still no sound from the subs, then got a big mo fo MTX thunder series mono block, hooked it up (boy was the mtx a rolls royce compared to boss), didnt work.... the amp was on but subs didnt work. then i slammed my r33 drivers door shut and the subs came to life, i opend the door and they stopped, did this 5 times lol.... i was so confused. Then i ran upstairs and grabbed myself some new rca's and threw them in, then it started hammering, the tunder MTX mono block suited my mtx 5500's perfectly even though it wasn't tuned, never heard my subs so smooth and loud before...

then i took the old rca's out and had a look and oneof them was shorting as the insulation was cut... put some decent sony rca's (yes the sony rca's arnt as bad as the rest of their car audio stuff). Then i had a choice of spending $400 on an new mtx amp or see if my old one would work now....

long story short is i bought new amp fuses, threw them in my original luxon amp and it still worked, not as good as the mtx amp but good enough. This bloody Luxon amp just keeps on going, looks like it will out last me.

But now i know what i'm missing out on, the clarity from the MTX amp was amazing, my 4 year old subs became brand new again.

now i wanna sell my reliable Luxon amp and put the money towards the MTX. Anyone interested in a proven reliable 600rms luxon mono block????