SAU Community

boot install pics

hippy

evil that is a great install .. congrats .. i think i will do something similar to that ... do u think u can give us the dimensions of that box?? or was it just as easy to draw it up on cardboard?? try it out then build it?? do u find that it fits nicely?? ie how do u mount it to the ground?? stop the box from rattling??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by halz

i dont think > 15 is about sq anymore, its about how much you can rattle your bones to pieces.. ehehe

2 x 12's will always be more tighter than a 15 for sq!

nice thread. im planning on building my sub box soon. i want to leave my boot free for future items. so as i dont want rear seats im going to build the box to fit in there. will end up a bit heavy but having two 12's in the back sounds amazing. ill post pics of it once i finish. the problem i have atm is where to place the amps.

your right Nav2k. I guy has a 32 in clarion in a mitsubishi challenger up here in rockhampton. the box take up most of the cargo area. The clarion ute had two in the back of it, but form memory i think they have been taken out and replaced by 6 12 inch subs. The guy up here just fried the 32 inch as well, so i dont want his postage bill when he has to send it back :D

Originally posted by hippy

evil that is a great install .. congrats .. i think i will do something similar to that ... do u think u can give us the dimensions of that box?? or was it just as easy to draw it up on cardboard?? try it out then build it?? do u find that it fits nicely?? ie how do u mount it to the ground?? stop the box from rattling??

Hippy, I'll measure the box tonight but they will be only basic dimensions. It is quite easy to make a template with cardboard and a good way to start is to pull out the bottom carpet which is perfect to use as a stencil for the bottom of the box. As for holding the box in place, there is nothing holding it. I made it a very tight squeeze (I can't even get it out!) but with a thin metal cable connected to the metal on the side in case it moves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest INASNT
Originally posted by hippy

don't those amps move around in the car??

Thats called a floating installation, it looks like the amps aint bolted down but they are.

Fhrx, nice use of carbon fibre!!!

was that built straight onto the body of the car with the resin or did you put some plastic/material behind it so it can be removed?

Originally posted by Craved

was that built straight onto the body of the car with the resin or did you put some plastic/material behind it so it can be removed?

Certainly not permanent! No way I'd damage someones car like that dude. We first mask up the entire boot area before we put the resin and Kevlar it. That way you can pop the entire enclosure out if you need to do something that requires the entire boot. :D

Carbon Kevlar-- expensive!! but good stuff :)

did you use kevlar over carbon to save the amount of layers, hence increase volume? just curious cause stuff like this interests me, wish i thought of it before i started my boot install ;)