SAU Community

Car Shuts Off While Driving

R32_R34

Hi

Last week I was driving my car It shut off, all the light came on on the dash I.e. Battery and HICAS etc and i had no power assisted brakes or Steering.

I came to a stop, put the car in neutral and it started again, I drove around the corner and the same thing happened i managed to push it into a driveway.

It started fine again (in Park) and as soon as i put it in drive it stopped again.

Suspecting the AFM I had a look at it and wiggled some wires and as a precaution I turned off the A/C.

I Started it again and managed to get home.

I just want to know if it was the AFM or is it another common issue and I Fixed it by chance.

Also It seemed to happen when i was doing 60 the car shut off and turned on again though?

BTW It seems to happen when the engine is cold.

Any Ideas?

Thank in advance

Edited by R32_R34

i am assuming you mean ur '32? if so i am not sure but i dont think the AFM will cause the car to stop it just wont let it rev past about 2300. thats what happened to mine when the afm was playing up so i just un plugged it and drove home.

have you considered it could be ur alarm cutting the engine?

fuel pump cutting out?

also check all the electrical connectors to all your sensors one could be loose and making your car play up. get into them with some CRC or similar.

let us know any progress mate

Hi

Sorry about that i should have said it was the R32.

You could be on to something with the Alarm, It has circuits on the Fuel pump and starter solenoid,

the problem is all the wiring is black and hidden.

Im gonna get someone to follow me round the block to see if it happens again.

Could this problem be related to difficult starting the motor? My old holden 202 starts better than it?

I'll Check it out today

Thanks

Edited by R32_R34

afm.

my r32 did this... it would cut out and stutter and screw around.. sometimes not let past 2500, sometimes just cut out randomly... usually when pulling out or overtaking.

got a brand new one and havent had prob since.

• 3 weeks later...

Guy's It happening again

I cleaned the plug contacts and it worked fine for a while, but yesterday the engine stopped and after i pulled over i couldn't restart it so i unplugged the afm and plugged it back in again and drove home.

Should I upgrade to a Z32 and use a S-AFC Neo to tune it? Would that work, or is the best option to get a new R32 AFM

sounds like exactly what my R33 is doing atm engine cutting out randomly then comming back after a split second, random stalling(happned once), hasnt happned for a few days thou, sounds like the same problem as yourself

• 5 months later...

UPDATE

Last Week i bought a AFM of a SAU member hooked it all up last night and it solved all my problems, Stalling, loosing power.

Just cant believe how long i left it, wish i had bought it earlier and eased all the Stress involved

cheers Ben