SAU Community

Changing Tail Light Bulb For Led: Red Or White?

cobrAA

remember that LED's emit a brighter and more direct white light so you may end up getting a bit of a pink glow from your tail lights. I put one in mine that i had lying around and it didnt make much different. That is in a 33 GTST but.

remember that LED's emit a brighter and more direct white light so you may end up getting a bit of a pink glow from your tail lights. I put one in mine that i had lying around and it didnt make much different. That is in a 33 GTST but.

That why I was wondering if I should go red or white but while I was browsing on ebay, a seller said to not use red led if the cover is red..

I was gonna say the exact same thing. Get red or they will turn out pink like the faded VN commodore brake lights you always see

may sound silly but do you think because red leds emit "red" light obviously when it passes through the red cover something happens to the light say it gets filtered maybe?? probably the reason why the seller says not to use red leds in under red tail light covers??

i dunno but ive seen some strange things happen when you pass coloured light through coloured filters.

I know it gets filtered and only lets the red part of the light through etc etc. Just thought it might look a nicer deeper red with red led's but maybe not. Take some photos when you get them in anyway.

And whats this funny thing that happens when coloured light passes through coloured filters?

opps i forgot to say in my post that i used a red multi LED bulb not a white one. I had the LED in one and a normalin in the one next to it and couldnt really tell the difference. The LED one was slightly reder i think.....

But yeah remember a normal globe works much different to an LED. a normal globe will emit a duller light but emits it over a wider area, The LED is concentrated light so if you can get a multi-directional one it would be better. And def get a red one... Ive seen white LED's in some that look pink as said above. Red will do fine, worked in my old VL just wasnt that visible in the daylight, is much better in the skyline tail lights

is it just me or are there some LED haters on this thread.

Its not like fitting 20" chromies which decrease performance and look ghey, leds are actually brighter and use less electrical energy which is why they are used in new cars.

I admit its up to the individual and is alot of coin for a largely aesthetic mod.

I like them cause they match the ADR LED high stop light mounted in the rear window.

Also i find silver or clear tail light surrounds -like on the new WRX look shit so dont get clear.

You want Red, but in my opinion of all the brake light LEDs I've tested, I'm yet to find a drop in solution that is brighter than the original bulb.....that's my I don't sell them.

The only thing I have found that are any good are some 3W T20 indicator lamps that are actually bright in daylight and do the job.