SAU Community

Busted Gearbox.

Hey how u guyz doing?

Last nite my freind busted 2nd gear. Its a GTi-R n was wondering if anyone could help with any info about the options he has.

We haven't taken it anywhere to get it pulled out yet, coz well todays sunday and and it was only last night that it happened.

But as we were driving home, 1st gear couldn't go in coz the shifter just wouldn't move left. but it did later, and of coz 2nd wasnt there.

So what are his options and the price for parts + labour for each option? we were thinkin of repair and strenghten, 2nd hand aftermarket, or just a 2nd hand factory box then take it easy from then on.

Any help would be great. Thanks

If you can find a second hand factory box, this will be the cheapest and easiest option.

(Odds are) You won't find an aftermarket box, and it won't be cheap. PAR make dogboxes, I think prices are around $3K (might just be the gearset though)

yea, gearbox gettin put in today & tomorrow.

we found out aftermarket gear set was 5K, forgot which brand.

but yea found a 2nd hand box for $1k.....

just wondering what happens when a gear box goes for a rebuild? coz the guy who is puttin it in for him said something like, it can't be repair or something. maybe he was talkin about the GTiR boxes or someshit i dunno...

so yea, how do ppl usually rebuild them coz i've heard of ppl gettin thier boxes strengthend n stuff.

We used to have a TX3 4WD Laser that had gearbox issues. Short of getting an aftermarket gearset the most that could be done was strengthening the standard case and modifying the syncros. We also found that rally teams had the most experience with modifying 4WD boxes on the cheap :P

it really depends on how much power your friend whats from the car? anything crazy, then it'll be best to get the gearbox repairs>strengthened... that will cost big $$$!!

but the best alternative is to find a good condition factory box...

(make sure you use good gearbox oil when you fitted the new box)

i'd recommend Redline gearbox oil @ Croydon Motorsports

:D