SAU Community

Turbo(s) Upgrade

Hey Ash how do the -5's compare to the Trust T517Z 8cms? I know ball bearing is the way to go but wondering if the difference is worth the cash outlay? The -5's would probably come on earlier and make more power hey?

Yep, have had both, and the -5's were more responsive, a lot more....

517's made good peak power though.

Congrats on the buy, you got yourself a very clean and nicely modded GT-R...

Speak to Ben, he will tell you if it's worth changing turbos or not....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, have had both, and the -5's were more responsive, a lot more....

517's made good peak power though.

Congrats on the buy, you got yourself a very clean and nicely modded GT-R...

Speak to Ben, he will tell you if it's worth changing turbos or not....

Thanks Jack, yep very happy with it :)

I won't be changing anything for the time being, its not like the car is super laggy, it still has a pretty brutal 4,000rpm powerband... just food for thought... the little surge of torque that ball bearing turbos have as they're coming on boost is nice

*SIGH*

Will you please stop posting up rubbish and factually incorrect information?

500hp is near enough to 300rwkw. 300rwkw is doable. You have that power yourself - go look @ your own dyno sheet.

Next time... Read the posts clearly and ensure you understand before posting.

It clearly says HP. Not rwhp.

/*SIGH*

Sorry maybe i should have stated 250 awkw

and that aim is for power at wheels not motor, i indeed did just put hp which i understand is not specific.

Thanks for all feedback,

I Think most people would lean towards -5's but of course everyone has different preferences

much appreciated feedback from a question most of you would have answered many times.

250awkw is in the realm of stock turbo's dude, if you get the -9s you wont be disappointed.

You wont be near the limits of them if thats all you are after. -5s are if you are looking for 350rwkw-400rwkw or there abouts.

Remember GTR's are 50/50 fulltime 4WD, the loss isn't the same

if it helps, mine with GTSS's yesterday evening did a 12.3 @ 110mph, with only 15psi boost, and 18 inch re-01's and a 1.805 60'. Oh and the track temp was 38 degrees and into a 13 knot head wind too.

A little more boost, a better launch (ie a 1.6ish 60') and 17 inch tyres should see well into the 11's!

Edited by R33GTRKid

A little more boost, a better launch (ie a 1.6ish 60') and 17 inch tyres should see well into the 11's!

Guess my 19's are slowing me down a fair bit then,

I Curently run a safe 1bar which is 14psi??

would it be unsafe to raise to 18?? until i install new turbos, don't want to damage my engine for tiny power increase.

if it helps, mine with GTSS's yesterday evening did a 12.3 @ 110mph, with only 15psi boost, and 18 inch re-01's and a 1.805 60'. Oh and the track temp was 38 degrees and into a 13 knot head wind too.

110mph would indicate you only have about 220rwkw, 230rwkw at the absolute most.

With over 1bar, that does not sound right at all. It should be closer to 115-116mph

I was running 110-111mph with 215-220rwkw for about 6 months and over 50 passes.

Ash, you seem to live in fairy land:

http://www.tunercalcs.com/

My car stock dry is 1530, add 50kilos (full tank) add 110 fat bastard in driver seat = 1690 kilograms (3718 pounds), plus 380 horsepower @ wheels gives a rough 12.459, which almost spot on to my 12.346 odd, maybe I overestimated my fuel weight, or lighter parts from stock or whatever.

If you then select the estimated horsepower from trap speed http://www.tunercalcs.com/hp-from-quarter-...trap-speed.html and put in 3718 pounds and 110 MPH you get 386 hp or 288rwkw, Xspeed says I have 380 rwhp

If you were getting 110 mph with 220 rwkw, your car's gross weight must of weighed 2850 pounds or about 1300 kilograms which is pretty light

Edited by R33GTRKid

110mph and ur dreaming of 11's...

to be realisitic in a gtr without drag radials ur looking at least at 117mph

My car comes in at 1400 without me in it, so nearly 1500 heavy and 200kg's more than your website assisted guess.

I don't live in fairly land, you are. Your going off some website. I used to hit the 1/4mile once a week for about 4 months, you know, real life.

There is no way you have 280rwkw with a trap of 110km/h unless you are backing off before the end or whatever else.

I'll revise my estimate to say, 250rwkw, just to give you the benefit of the doubt ok?.

But as you'll see... not near 280, no way.

Example #1 - 12.62 @ 109.3mph - lucky to have 240rwkw @ 12psi, stock turbos (R33 GTR)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4175753

Example #2 - 12.4 @ 112mph - 315rwHP (admittedly thats a R32 GTR, but the weight isn't significant enough to get too excited)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=2165896

Example #3 - ET:12.254 MPH:114.53.

248rwkw at 1bar (admittedly another R32 GTR, but its not THAT much weight to eat up 30-40rwkw when the MPH is higher to boot.)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=2081953

Proof is in the pudding, or should i say... on the 1/4 mile

Dyno1.pdf

whatever, there is the proof of power

timeslip___5.2.09.pdf

there is timeslip, no did not back off anywhere.

Also interesting to note that F6 ute with 300rwkw doing 12.6's, another member with 290rwkw in his R32 GTR was getting 12.5's at 107MPH, a R34 GTR (the blue one from overeast bought from the dude off the forum) is next to me on the time slip and was getting consisten 110ish MPH the whole time and he reportedly has 450rwhp??? he was not backing off either.....

And I checked 4 different website calculators and they all pretty much came back with 110MPH being spot on for a 1690 car and 380 rwhp but of course you must be right :)

Could be that motorplex is just shite track, was heading into a 13 knot head wind, and track was 38 degrees but all I can say is what happened and what my car has.

Edited by R33GTRKid

MPH backs up dyno results, not the other way around.

So (in case you dont get what im saying) dyno sheet = doesnt mean a thing as MPH never lies.

You've run the MPH and its told the real truth. Easy as that really.

The plex is one of the best facilities in the country, ive been there.

So its not the tracks problem