SAU Community

Folding@home

R31Nismoid

Hi all, having just worked all this out, C setup a Folding team a while ago... Lets get on it! There are a few members already, lets get some more!

In an attempt to give more back to the greater community from SAU, I have created a Folding@Home team.

Folding@Home is a system designed to allow you to use your idle cpu to perform protein folds and other calculations to assist with research into disease treatment and other causes like that.

SAU Team Page

Please download and install the client (available for all platforms) - using the username you choose and the SAU team number 122553.

Download HERE!!!!

Please read instructions for the download, as you can also get a GPU (graphics card) client which is much faster!

Once you have registered and installed the client, add your Folding@Home username to your profile.

Lets help out for medical research, we all have PC's doing nothing during the day, and i never turn mine off so this will put it to good use!

Thanks all!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye that's what I'm doing... I'm already climbing the SAU rankings ladder fast and ive only been going 2 days hehe :(

My media PC will turn into my "folding" PC as it'll just be downloads/TV 24x7 so i can give my $$$ PC a bit of a break

For people that do leave PC's on and stuff, i see no reason not to do this when your not around.

More help for this kinda thing the better!

• 1 month later...

ive only got a laptop at the moment and it can't handle folding :) Overheats and the laptop dies for 20 minutes.

But I have my media PC waiting for me at the new apartment, so once im up and running there I will set it up again.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This sounds great, I would love to get back into Folding@Home.

I've installed the Systray client, it appears to be working.. It's not really using up as much CPU as I would like.

Anyone have idea's on how to optimise this? I've got three idle Intel Quad Cores ready to contribute.

My name is account name is qeel3120

Edited by Alinys

haha, I just was installing the GPU client before checking this thread again. I'll probably run both and download the SMP client and run that too. =)

EDIT: Holy crap that's one massive protein my vid card is folding right now!! Heaps bigger than what I used to fold when I OC'ed with my ol' P4 2.8GHz Northy. Good to see that the highly advanced GPU's can be more useful than just rendering entertainment..

EDIT2: Now Running F@H SMP Client and GPU2 Client. :D

Computer still is extremely responsive, great improvements in the programming it only uses the CPU/GPU cycles that are idle as soon as you need your CPU it's all yours, instantly!

Everyone be running F@H now, there's really no, or very little pitfall, simply pause it for games if you are a gamer! Not to mention, having an overclocked computer running full blast for a long time with a nice amount of airflow acts as a pretty nice heater using less electricity! :laugh:

Edited by Alinys

I'm now running the SMP client and GPU2 client on my PC (Q9400 & 9800GT) and another SMP client on another spare Q6600 I have.

The SMP client seems to be folding much faster than the GPU2 client on my PC. But we'll see after about a day or two..

How many iterations per second are you guys getting on your GPU's?

I'd be happy to help anyone out trying to install the SMP client or do a write up, it took a little bit of fiddling on Windows 7 x64 but it's working now and the process is easy.

Getting KiloWatts out of your car is one thing, contributing to saving millions of peoples lives is another.

Edited by Alinys

• 4 weeks later...

No office, but Folding@Home & SETI@Home have always seemed like a completely waste of CPU cycles to me (which means electricity and ultimately money...).

Ok Installed.

Did what was told.. no idea what it is really doing, but my pc is on 24/7.

Whatever it is doing as long as my pc doesn't crash, i'll leave it :P

• 3 weeks later...
No office, but Folding@Home & SETI@Home have always seemed like a completely waste of CPU cycles to me (which means electricity and ultimately money...).

The better we understand ultimately how proteins fold the closer we get to actually understanding why (specifically genetic) diseases like Huntingtons, Alzheimers, and even some Cancers are what they are, and how they "work" in killing us. Knowing this we get so much closer to actually developing a cure for these diseases. That is important, and if anyone doesn't think so, I can't help but label them an insensitive bastard.

It does use up CPU cycles, which ultimately means using up more power and therefore money. However, many people have their computers on 24/7, the amount of extra power your CPU pulls at 100% usage compared to idle is negligible now a days. Screens use a lot of power in a desktop system (newer ones are getting much better.) modern CPU's not so much any more, so I won't lie and say your statement is incorrect because indeed it is.

Also, I won't lie and say it isn't stressful to your computer hardware, if you're running stock speeds it shouldn't be too bad (again negligible) but if you're overclocking expect significantly decreased hardware life, more so than what you already would expect after pushing your hardware past its limits. I change my computer hardware fairly infrequently compared to normal consumers, I normally buy the best money can get and change it after about 5 years without bothering about upgrades in the way and never have had a problem (in the past when I was folding AND overclocking as well using hardware that was a lot less reliable). But it is definitely another thing that should be known.

It really is up to you in the end if you want to do it or not, but it is definitely not a "complete waste" of CPU Cycles, it's not in anyway even a waste of CPU Cycles.

Still, the final decision is up to you - it's probably one of the cheapest charitable things to help humanity you can do! And it sure would be great to say SAU enjoys supporting Genetic Disease research. :P

If you guys have any other questions about the Science, I'll be happy to shed as much light as I can on it.

And just for the record, as for Seti@Home - it's a lot more broad in its research, some are plain silly (in my opinion) like calculating the largest prime number, but with that said there usually is a good point for research. Even tho I don't know what might be the point of knowing what the largest prime number is considering our number system goes up to infinity... Like running to find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow... BUT you can select what you want to process, so it's not all silly.

What I like about Folding@Home is that it is directly helping real people, our brothers and sisters per say..

P.S. Don't forget to input "122553" without quotes as your team number to fold for the SAU Team!

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Whats the bandwidth use?

negligible.. 10mb here and there if i remember right.

i used to run folding@home on my ps3, but ever since it broke and i had to fix it, the console seems to have a limited lifespan before it dies again so i dont run it these days so i can maximize usage between repairs

• 1 month later...

used to fold a few years ago for a overclocking forum i was on... is anyone on here still folding?? i might get back into it

what the hell... last wu was completed on the 6-12-2007.... ill start it up again..

Edited by BrynDETT

• 3 weeks later...

so who are the very few ppl folding on the team? there is only 3 of us active in the top 10...

I'm in.. I don't have a super computer but every little bit helps :)