SAU Community

260rs S1 Suspension/coliovers What To Get?

chef_stagea

my suspension in my new stag is a little bouncy and clunky... nothing thats much of an issue but just trying to get an idea of what suspension mods are out there for them??? ive been told that 33gtr does NOT fit.... due to the rears being very long...

also a mate is in need of sum1 to fix/replace/service his ones in his s1 autech... cheers guys

my suspension in my new stag is a little bouncy and clunky... nothing thats much of an issue but just trying to get an idea of what suspension mods are out there for them??? ive been told that 33gtr does NOT fit.... due to the rears being very long...

also a mate is in need of sum1 to fix/replace/service his ones in his s1 autech... cheers guys

Read the first few pages of the suspension thread to get some idea. Main conclusion Bilsteins for everyone, tailored for max handling or ride, rear sway bar upgrade will improve cornering with no detriment to ride comfort and springs are a matter of choice Eibach come from the people who brought you Bilsteins, Teins can be fierce, low mileage cars try keeping your stock springs with new Bilsteins.

I've read pages and pages on them and still can't come to a definate conclusion as a lot of thing contradict what someone else says.

From what I can gather;

R33 GTR front - to handle the 4WD

R33 Gtst rear shocks will fit but need custom springs. There's also factors between eye or fork rears and the shape of the top mounts. Also apparently S15 rear shocks fit too.

Can't find too much on coilovers. I have Apexi's under mine but I can't match the part number on my rears to anything on the net.

Edited by choco

I've read pages and pages on them and still can't come to a definate conclusion as a lot of thing contradict what someone else says.

From what I can gather;

R33 Gtst rear shocks will fit but need custom springs. There's also factors between eye or fork rears and the shape of the top mounts. Also apparently S15 rear shocks fit too.

Can't find too much on coilovers. I have Apexi's under mine but I can't match the part number on my rears to anything on the net.

interesting... its just early days and as i said im in no hurry... sway bars what fits and where to start looking???

i no the rear cradle on the 260 is larger than my old s2 stag :huh:

can any one give a deffenite answer??

I struggled to find coilovers for my stag (Type S same suspension setup as RS260) so i fitted a set of R33 GTR Greddy Type S Coilovers. The only required modification was to the rear strut tops as in the Stagea they are oval instead of round. This is because they have tried to keep them from intruding into the boot being a wagon so they made the strut top mounts smaller. Its a minor job for any good suspension shop to machine these down.

The ride was OK but it was a little soft in the back for my liking as the rear coils were progressive so I swapped the back coils out for a set of linear off the shelf Eibach items. 6.8kg from memory. Handles great now, everything is fully adjustable too which I like e.g. Spring seats, bottom mounts, damping and so on. From everything I have read on here I think the SK Bilstein kits are Standard R32 GTR front shocks and Standard R33 GTST rear shocks (Although I may be wrong) with 2 choices of spring e.g. Whiteline or Eibach.

If you have an RS260 and want coilovers I would suggest any R33 GTR coilover would fit with a slight modification to the rear strut top. Also some companies offer a choice of coils so I would suggest getting linear rate springs front and rear and either match the rates or keep them reasonably similar front to rear. My rates are quite high but i like my car firm 8kg front and 6.8 kg rears. I think the springs in the Group buy are around half that rate e.g. 4kg front and 3.2 rear. It also depends on where you live and the state of your roads, I am in melbourne and spend the majority of my time driving on city roads which although not perfect aren't too bad. I could imagine if you live in a rural area with really bumpy roads you may like to try a more compliant setup with softer springs and dampers.

From what I can gather;

R32 GTR FRONT for extra travel...

tein should make coilovers or maybe see if you can test fit some 32GTR rears then get a set re-valved if they fit

group buy is closer too 3.2front 3.8rear i THINK

interesting... its just early days and as i said im in no hurry... sway bars what fits and where to start looking???

i no the rear cradle on the 260 is larger than my old s2 stag :huh:

can any one give a deffenite answer??

Hi Adam, just ducked out to the shed to check some numbers on Whiteline boxes, I bought SK's complete package for my S1 260. The numbers on the swaybar shipping boxes & therefore on my wagon are; SBS24=JAMAC (front), SBS22=JAMAC (rear) These are adjustable, 24mm solid front, 22mm solid rear. Get hold of Gary or Matt, there is a heavier swaybar setup available from them I think, 27mm front, 24mm rear (maybe)

JAMAC was Gary's business name at the time I got my gear, suspension parts being made up for JAMAC by Whiteline on consignment?

Cheers GW

I have the full SK package under mine, and am more than happy with it: height is good: low, but still practical (although with a '260, the front bar is lower than my Dayz bar, I'd think), and the ride is firm, but not uncomfortable. Can I also suggest a rear strut brace? It made the single most significant difference to handling: absolutely essential IMO...

I think some people confuse the terms "coilovers" and "coil springs". Stageas have seperate shock absorbers (dampers) and coil springs.

A change to unitary coilovers (google the term) in NZ at least, requres certification and is anyway not recommended unless you have the need (for regular adjustment -say beteen different tracks and normal road use) and the money -cheap coilovers tend to be nasty and good ones will be quite expensive.

I have the full SK package under mine, and am more than happy with it: height is good: low, but still practical (although with a '260, the front bar is lower than my Dayz bar, I'd think), and the ride is firm, but not uncomfortable. Can I also suggest a rear strut brace? It made the single most significant difference to handling: absolutely essential IMO...

What sort of rear strut brace do you have? I have noticed some Greddy ones come up on here a couple of times. I think Cusco also do them. Does it have much of an impact on your boot space? Also how does it make the car handling feel better? (Give me a really good answer please so I can justify it to the missus) :huh:

I think some people confuse the terms "coilovers" and "coil springs". Stageas have seperate shock absorbers (dampers) and coil springs.

A change to unitary coilovers (google the term) in NZ at least, requres certification and is anyway not recommended unless you have the need (for regular adjustment -say beteen different tracks and normal road use) and the money -cheap coilovers tend to be nasty and good ones will be quite expensive.

I am not quite sure what you mean here KiwiRS4T? Stageas come standard with Coilovers e.g. a Spring or Coil over a shock absorber. The only difference between your standard springs and shock absorbers and a set of aftermarket matched shocks and springs is often these come with adjustable settings e.g. spring seat height and damping.

Here is a link to all the information you could ever want regarding suspension http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/coilovers/Part_1/

So where did we end up?

33 gtr front and rear with some mods to rear?

Or 32 gtr front and 33 gts-t rear?

what sway bars?

Im interested as well as sus mods are next on my list so i can tear up the wrecks and evo's at the track.

What sort of rear strut brace do you have? I have noticed some Greddy ones come up on here a couple of times. I think Cusco also do them. Does it have much of an impact on your boot space? Also how does it make the car handling feel better? (Give me a really good answer please so I can justify it to the missus) :)

make me justify it too myself haha :)

yeah ok... so any gtr with mods will fit really???

im not after any thing to out there... i had gab wagon adjustable SHOCKS on my rs4 previous to this one... looked and felt good but still very practical!

what swaybars are you all rocking??

i have a cusco strut brace on the rear and it sits below the pricacy blind if you have one... doesnt change bootspace much at all but if you had the seats down it may... but its a 17mm socket and an allen key and the center bar comes out... well designed IMO...

b4 when i reversed slowly out the drive way or bumps etc u can hear stuff crecking n stuff... not as much of that

How much $$ are you planning to spend on the coilovers? If abt 2ks i think you are better off getting the SK's setup with the Eibach springs. The best of the best. And you can rebuild blistein shocks.

My spring rates are listed in my signature. They are nice and firm but not hard.