SAU Community

Going To Do A Oil Change On Tuesday

I did a search on SAU and the oil filter that came up was a Z445 (3.5 L)

If i remember right thats the same filter used on a SR20

I also did a quick search on google and there seem to be a few different answers with people saying that some filters were crap cus they were made of cardboard etc and other ones were better?

peoples thoughts?

I'm also going to use synthetic Nulon 5w-30 or 10w-40 depending on what I can get the better price on

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also did a quick search on google and there seem to be a few different answers with people saying that some filters were crap cus they were made of cardboard etc and other ones were better?

peoples thoughts?

I'm also going to use synthetic Nulon 5w-30 or 10w-40 depending on what I can get the better price on

well...I won't comment on the first part, other than to say that changing your filter more often is better than buying something that's unnecessarily overpriced.....

....but I will on the second....

Don't skimp on using the wrong oil viscosity based on price!!

Get the correct spec'd oil for your VQ!!!....it really demands it.....

Don't skimp on using the wrong oil viscosity based on price!!

Get the correct spec'd oil for your VQ!!!....it really demands it.....

I asked a q about what oil to use when I first got my V and the correct oil is 5 w 30 apparently however because I live up in Townsville where the weather is anywhere between 5 to 40 deg I should also be able to run the 10w 40

interesting enough on the nulon.com.au website i put in 350z and it listed the oils they stocked from 1 to 5 and the 10 w 40 was 2nd on their list after 5 w 30

peoples thoughts?

Yes the oil filter you should be using is a Z445.

I currently use the K&N oil filter. Any autobarn should be able to get it for you. Otherwise, look at an Amsoil efficiency oil filter, I have used them as well and it was quite good.

Prefer the K&N though...

Nissan themselves use a 7.5W30 (mineral) oil in their servicing so you should be right with that.

I am using Motul 300v Chrono (10W40) at the moment, and it is a bloody good oil.

The car goes much better on this than when I used Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, Syn, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Motul 8100 or Nulon.

It is even better than the 10W40 Amsoil that I also tried.

My advice (if you want it)? Spend the extra $$ and get the Motul 300V (either 5W30 or 10W40) and get the K&N filter.

Change every 10,000km's (maybe more in an N/A?).

You won't regret it.

so whats wrong with using a nissan filter??

im not asking to be a smart ass. i know they are $20 a pop, but when it comes to engine lubrication why would you put an $8 filter on?? id only be using a ryco or even cheaper brand if the factory wasnt stocking them anymore.....

im a fan of Castol Edge 5W30 FWIW

last time i bought a nissan filter for my 180sx "took z445 not a z442 cus of the engine re-build" the filter nissan gave me was smaller in size than the ryco one. Now one would think that larger surface area = better filtering for longer. Ill check out auto barn see if they have the K&N one. I will also look into this Motul 300V

I am using Motul 300v Chrono (10W40) at the moment, and it is a bloody good oil.

The car goes much better on this than when I used Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, Syn, Castrol Edge, Royal Purple, Motul 8100 or Nulon.

It is even better than the 10W40 Amsoil that I also tried.

My advice (if you want it)? Spend the extra $ and get the Motul 300V (either 5W30 or 10W40) and get the K&N filter.

Change every 10,000km's (maybe more in an N/A?).

You won't regret it.

How can you tell the difference between the oils? I've only ever changed the oil once in my V35 but I used a few on my R33. I could not see any difference in performance/smoothness. Especially if you compare good oils against each other. Im due for a service again for the V so im interested in this topic too. I tend to also use the cheapest oil filter there is.

PS. i started using Pennzoil synthetic blend 10W40 in the R33 because there was a Pennzoil R33 in the JGTC LOL. and it was selling at good price.

so whats wrong with using a nissan filter??

im not asking to be a smart ass. i know they are $20 a pop, but when it comes to engine lubrication why would you put an $8 filter on?? id only be using a ryco or even cheaper brand if the factory wasnt stocking them anymore.....

im a fan of Castol Edge 5W30 FWIW

Who's putting an $8 filter on? I used to use Ryco filters years ago when I didn't know any better.

I would give the Veruspeed filter a go, but at $29 + shipping, why would I stray from K&N or Amsoil (~$20)?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx - Amsoil filter #EAO12

http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm - can't remember filter number, sorry

How can you tell the difference between the oils? I've only ever changed the oil once in my V35 but I used a few on my R33. I could not see any difference in performance/smoothness. Especially if you compare good oils against each other. Im due for a service again for the V so im interested in this topic too. I tend to also use the cheapest oil filter there is.

PS. i started using Pennzoil synthetic blend 10W40 in the R33 because there was a Pennzoil R33 in the JGTC LOL. and it was selling at good price.

Well, you should be able to notice a change in how the car runs... For example;

Mobil 1 - car "felt" and sounded quite loose and did not have that "get up and go"

Motul 8100 Excess - "felt" like it was not lubricating completely, took it out after ~850kms (1 week), smelt burnt and left a "mass" behind that came out when I put the Amsoil engine cleaner through it... will never touch that sh*t again.

Amsoil 10W40 - Felt much better than the Mobil 1 and 8100. Car seemed to want to rev. No complaints.

Penrite Syn - Car felt "smothered". Engine seemed to have ALOT of difficulty getting the revs up. I have been told that it is a thick oil, but that was ridiculous! Came out after 1500kms.

Castrol Edge - See Mobil 1 without the "loose" feeling

Shell Helix Ultra - See Castrol Edge

Royal Purple - See Amsoil

Motul 300v Chrono - Only negative is price. Car LOVES to rev, is very responsive and has more "get up and go" than the other oils. Engine runs very smoothly. Just "feels" good overall. Have been using it for the last 35,000kms. Looking at trying 300v Power Racing due to it being 5W30 - much closer to Nissan's 7.5W30 mineral oil (I won't use Mineral oil).

Hope that helps you understand why I spend a bit extra on my oil (change every 10,000kms since putting in 300v).

I also like the theory behind the Amsoil oil filter and the K&N filter just seemed like a high quality unit (just pick one up, you will know what I mean).

Remember, you are trusting a filter to remove the crap that can get into and possibly damage your engine so why not spend the extra $12 on a high quality filter?

Oh, and no, I cannot "feel" the difference between oil filters. :P

Edited by iamhe77

I use Ryco fuel filters and oil filters every oil change (~4000kms)

might look at the K&N one, but isnt a filter just a filter - or is it like "oils aint oils"

Castrol Edge feels ok in the car, better feel than Motul 4100, Martini racing oil feels the best so far though

mmmm......how confusing it all can be.....

I'll stick with Helix Ultra, but that's just based on me never having a problem with an engine in the 8-9 years of using it.

But, have you guys ever used one of those MAGNETIC SUMP PLUGS?....I had them on my Silvia's and 33's over the years.....going to find one for the V35.

Admittedly, I never saw anything metallic 'hanging' off the sump plug on my oil changes, not in the macroscopic sense anyway...(and that's a good thing I reckon!)

Like I said, I've never had an engine issue (yep, heaps of other issues..lol)...my motor's have always appeared healthy and smoke free, and I drive them pretty hard.

I guess when you're on a good thing, stick to it?...(I'm a little worried when it comes to lubrication experimentation!)

I use Ryco fuel filters and oil filters every oil change (~4000kms)

might look at the K&N one, but isnt a filter just a filter - or is it like "oils aint oils"

Correct! "Filters ain't Filters".

They can vary by the filter element surface area, whether they have anti-drain back valves, construction quality and materials, magnetic walls and, probably more importantly, construction material of the filter element and flow rate.

A few of the better filters are starting to implement a nano molecular structured filter element which filters as well as cellulose but allows more oil to flow through.

See the Amsoil site (above) for a good explanation... Also look at their air filters ( http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx ). I put one in my car and it now revs right through redline without running out of puff. :P

ok well iv picked up my oil pic-Full_Synthetic_5W-30_Long_Life_Diesel_and_Petrol_Engine_Oil.jpg paid $65 for it, noticed i could have gone the castrol edge 5w 30 for $55

picked up a Z445, no one in Townsville keeps stock of the K&N oil filter for the VQ35 although autobarn can order me one in so maybe next oil change ill give that a go

picked up some jack stands

letting the car cool down for a hour before I start to work on it

Edited by 180 wanabe

all done, all good

car sounds normal @ idel no new noises or anything

hardest part of the service was undoing all the bolts that hold on the plastic undertray cover on, noticed that im missing about 3 of them

Got to love oil filters dont dont have drain back valves... the "Auto Land" one that was on the car must have been on when it came over from japan

Only thing i forgot to do was buy a new copper crush washer so I reused the old one....

so far so good going to go for a strap now :D

you didn't use the wheel off method??

Or do we not have a choice when doing the filter media?

well from what i could see you could probably do an oil change by just jacking up the car, because there is acess to the sump nut through the under tray, as well as there being a cut out section for the oil to drain out of. As for the wheel off method you could probably do this if you wanted to but you would have to push the under tray around a bit to get access to the filter not to mention the extra difficulty of trying to undo it if its on tight.

I was happy enough to pull the under tray off so I could have a good look under the engine for any leaks or problems

Car was pretty easy to jack up, took some hints from the guy who posted how to jack up the coupe on youtube

basicaly just used the Nissan jack in the boot to jack the car up from the front left jacking point until i could get my floor jack under enough to start jacking the car up from the front jacking point in the middle. Then just jacked it up till i was happy and put jack stands down under the left and right front jacking point as insurance to stop me getting crushed if my main jack fails

after taking the car for a quick spirited drive everything seems good I cant tell much difference but seems nice and responsive like it always has been. I’m just glad that its got fresh synthetic oil in it now as Iv got no idea how old or what kind of oil was in it before or even if it was changed when it came into australia.... considoring the jap filter on the car im thinking not

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm - can't remember filter number, sorry

is the part numer HP-1008???

Correct me if i am wrong....because getting one in 2 days time for my first service~ :D

Motul 300v Chrono - Only negative is price. Car LOVES to rev, is very responsive and has more "get up and go" than the other oils. Engine runs very smoothly. Just "feels" good overall. Have been using it for the last 35,000kms. Looking at trying 300v Power Racing due to it being 5W30 - much closer to Nissan's 7.5W30 mineral oil (I won't use Mineral oil).

Where to get this? I've been looking at autobarn, repco and supercheap auto none of them got this.....or prob I am blind ;)