SAU Community

Redline vs Motul for engine/gearbox ??

JH32

Which oil is better for your engine and gearbox?

I've heard good reports about both :confused:

Is the Motul 300V good for the gearbox? Any better than the Redline?

Reason I ask is because Motoquipe in Perth have just started stocking Motul and it's a lot cheaper than Redline.

Cheers :D

sorry to whore yur thread jimih, but was wondering if anyone knows how well shell helix synthetic gear oil rates?

it says its suitable for manual gear boxes under high performance and turbos...

i got 5L sitting in the garage and need to change oil... was thinking of using...

coz motul and redline and even castrol vmx, is highly expensive...

im using motul 4100 turbolite 15w40 for my engine, after previously using mobil 1 synth 5w50. i ran extremely low oil pressures with mobil 1, and even with motul im finding low oil pressures but not as bad as with mobil 1.

never tried redline due to price.

Guest RedLineGTR

okay motul 300V & Redline use the best synthetic process avaliable only the 300v(there are other ones avalable but not to this high quality) range of motul is the highest possible quality which is compairable to redline...cant say which one is the better out of the two but both are close to each other.

In my opinion i would use Redline gearbox oil shockproof etc for the gearbox and others items like diffs and what not.

Would use Motul for engine the model number 8100 5-40w this model of motul not to expensive but as far as genuine systhetics go it is the best for the price. Mobil 1...yes yes all the hype about it the adds the campains..etc it all costs money and i believe it is overpriced for what it is. Motul oill is used in japan for nissan/nismo track cars etc too.

While doing a couple of hours research there are synthetic oil that a created differently not to the best quality as motul and redline thats why the price is up. Castrol is on the bar with mobil for the way they create/manifacture the oil, which is below or close to motuls and redline royal purple and other expensive brands.

Guest RedLineGTR

Currently i am running Shell Helix Ultra 5-40w in my engine...as far as i can tell it runs fine. I dont have a oil temp gauge so cant tell the difference but looking at the radiator coolant temp gauge it falls cooler/lower than using it with motul, it wasent tested fully but for now i am happy with Shell until the next oil change. I will be giving Motul 5-40w ago again just for the full 5000km-4000km to see how it goes with temperatures.

Skyline onwers change thier oil frequently so any reasonably priced oil should be good. Checking my oil weekly and after hard fangs the oil colour darkens with the higher revs after fanging i guess this is because of more wear and high rpms which makes sence. Remember also the Radiator coolant is a important aspect of keeping everything cool and running at the appropriate temp.

Guest RedLineGTR

Also recently at a drag day...with oils found a comparision with mobil 1 and some italian brand oil for like $30-$40 bucks compaired to $65 for mobil 1 the italian branded oil ran about 5-7deg © less than mobil 1?? :D the mobil 1 car also had in FMIC and also running stock boost which i assume would leave temps lower than a boosted car at 10psi with a stock r34gtt cooler.

Motul 300V & redline oils are very good for track use and racing thats what they are deisgned for. Other oils like MOtul 5-40w etc are a good all rounder not saying it wont do the job of 300V or redline but it wont hold up as long nor keep the best protection for your engine under those super high stresses engines have with turbos and racing/trackwork..My 2 cents :D

Cheers for the replies RedLineGTR :D

I checked out their website and they've got a lot of decent products by the looks of things! I might try out their 300V oil if I can get hold of it (didn't see it in the shop though I'm sure they could get it in). Also might try their Gear 300 stuff for the gearbox, and perhaps the PA90 or whatever its called for the diffs :D

Guest RedLineGTR

also when ya go into one of the shops that sell motul oil thier usally is a booklet hangin around abuot motul how they make certain oil types etc. Worth abit of a read not to much info but yah