SAU Community

R33 Hesitation!

hi people, i know some will tell me to search and stuff and ive been searching for a while and had no luck but there is so many threads

Anyway i have a r33 series 1 stock, beside fmic, pod, 3 inch cat back, stock boost.. which ive been having a few problems with.

The car first started playing up a while ago and havent had time to source out the problem until now.

The car used to boost fine all day every day until one day i gave it a bit and it hesitated and than all of a sudden pulled through to redline. Was like this for a while until all of a sudden was driving it and i couldn't come onto boost at all and the car started splattering around 3 grand and couldn't get any higher revs or see boost at all.

Anyway it only plays up when its warm. will drive and boost fine when its cold thou. My brother had the same problem on his series 2 engine and it was the coils.

I have replaced the coils with second hand ones that were working fine and now i can boost the car again til around 4 - 4.5 grand and it splatters and pulls to redline once again.

I than thought of plugs so i went to the local shop and got a set of bcpr6es-11's after i searched on here about plugs. I put them in without gapping em down because im still running stock boost but didn't help.

The plugs that were in it were the hks s40i ones that i searched for and they are a heat rating of 8 while the new ones i put in arn't, could this be a problem.

Has anyone got any ideas?? Any ideas or help will be appreciated

Next will be, AFM im guessing but i dont know heaps about the lines??

Thanks

check the AFM. can u try and isolate which cynlinder if u rev in the garage or does it only hesitate in gear and underload? things that i did, change or swap afm with your brother (isolate problem), change ignitor with S1, check coils, check air flow meter and solder connnections.

it went back 2day to what it was doing b4 at 3000rpm and is only under load.

the tune hasn't been checked but does smell fuely sometimes on idle. and wanna elinimate the hesitation b4 it goes onto a dyno. i pulled the plugs off the coils while running and each time idle changed so im assuming coils are fine, and the cars runs on 6 cylinders!

will get some air flow meter spray and give it a clean and that k&n stuff for the pod and will get a new fuel filter while im at it as i haven't done that in a while.

any way to test the igniter without swapping one over ??

should i try reset my comp to see if that helps ??

hmmmm, well its not coil packs, because once they start going they arnt going to catch up at higher revs,

changed spark plugs,

what boost are you running? i know you said stock, but where are you reading this from? if your boost is spiking up a bit, then there is every chance it could be R&R, because it smells fuely aswell, that also makes me believe this,

your getting enough fuel, so its not that, your spark will be fine, igniter, well normally when a igniter goes it drops cylinders so it wont be that, wont be your ecu either,

might be worth testing the o2 sensor, but im sticking with R&R specially with you saying it hesitates,

way to fix, get a FCD or a aftermarket ecu

autometre boost gauge lets me know. I just checked out my old coils and couldnt see any cracks but they had like a blue burn type mark on most of them, il have to pull the other ones out and go over them again to make sure.

sorry if i have confused you but when i put the other coils in it only hesitated for a second at 4-4.5 but now it does it again around 3000rpm it just splatters and cant see boost....

Edited by FAT_3L

update.. i changed those coils with the siliconed ones an made no diff, stil there. I went on a 1000km drive over easter and still getting 450kms per tank highway driving, sound bout normal??

cruises good, but stutters when i put my foot down and go to overtake.

can only think bout the afm but haven't had a decent look yet!! any other opinions??

• 2 weeks later...

this is really frustrating me now, i have a afm lined up just gotta purchase it but unsure if it actually ok.

cars normal when cold, but once warm just dont go anywhere (no boost) idles perfect and everything else is fine. happens round 2500- 3000rpm. can the afm play up like this only once warm? car will go on to dyno to search for the fault (fuel related) if afm cant fix and there arnt any other opinions.

but does anyone else have any more ideas, fuel pump wouldnt do like this surely?

• 2 weeks later...

Gap your plugs down.

Take them down to about 0.6mm.

If the issue goes away,

go and buy some fresh plugs, gap them to 0.8mm AND buy some BRAND NEW split fire coil packs

ok, i gapped them down with no success, so i gaped them back again. i wil be speaking to a local tuner to run it on the dyne to check if is R&R. there no much else incan think of unless you have other suggestions...