SAU Community

Tick Tick Tick.......booom?

C_DawG

Checked your oil and made sure the pump is working? We were cruising around in a friends car and it started ticking pretty loudly, we thought nothing of it, then 5 minute later we had a seized engine.

Not meant to scare you, but better to be safe than sorry!

did it all of a sudden come on or has it been a gradual sort of noise over the months/years... It could be a noisy lifter so maybe u should give it an oil flush when changing oils, otherwise maybe it could be the oil pump? Either way i'd check it out asap as rebuilds aren't cool.

I'm also getting a noticable ticking sound from the engine (under idle), just replaced the oil so it mightn't be the lifters, how loud should the ticking be for it to be abnormal? Since the injectors usually make a small ticking sound.

i reckon lifters 25det, when the oil is cold and has had time to settle to the bottom the lifters make a bit of noise but once operating temp is reached and the oil is pumped thru the engine the lifter will be fully lubricated and stop tapping. Just my thought.

Guys,

try the old screwdriver test. What you do is get a long/large screwdriver, with the engine running, CAREFULLY place the blade of the screwdriver against various parts of the engine or on the components bolted to the engine and then place your ear against the butt end of the screwdriver and listen for excessive noises. If you're unsure how loud the noise should be check the same spot on a mates car. Good way to isolate a noise to a certain area.

JUST BE CAREFULL !!!

The NVCS solenoid on my car goes spastic every now and again. Makes a great clicking sound, sounds similar to a popcorn machine at full tilt. Just by holding the back of the solenoid where the plug goes into it stops it, just too lazy to fix this on a more permanent basis.

Originally posted by DoughBoy

just too lazy to fix this on a more permanent basis.

hahahaha i like ur style:D

the ticking whilst cold , as said above is the lack of oil in the top end so lifters will tick.

not too sure with skylines but in the vl , hydraulic lifters always after years of use seem to tick , and take a while to "pump up" when cold.

a water pump most likely wont make noise at idle , it is more a load thing , hold it at 3k revs , in neutral , and listen for a definate clunky noise , more evident than a tick noise.

sounds similar to a thrown big end bearing.

injectors make a constant tick tick tick , be it hot or cold , day or night.

injectors/lifters tick (probably a dupe but i cbf reading all the posts :()

mine does that fairly audible on idle with bonnet popped and head in engine bay, but if its from in the car whilst accelerating, more than likely u got a missing exhaust manifold bolt like me, dont worry about it unless it starts getting worse or the cars feeeling crap/doing something crappily noticeable :)