SAU Community

RB25DE NEO Engine Ticking Sound

Have had a sort of ticking noise coming from my engine for a while, hasn’t gotten any worse/louder but just trying to figure out what it is? Originally thought lifters but now possibly injectors? If anyone has anymore info let me know!!
I have an RB25DE Neo, sound seems like it’s coming from more of the front end.

Thank you!

Edited by Murfyy
added more videos of the noise/engine

Wow. 3 decent videos of the actual noise! That's a rarity on here these days.

A few points.

1. It's not the injectors. Or, if it is, then there is something really badly wrong!
  2. The 1st video's noise is from the front of the motor and it sounds like it is cam/lifter related. But....
  3. The 2nd video shows a lot of mechanical noise from the rear of the head. Louder and deeper than the noise from the front, and....
  4. The 3rd video makes me think of a cable tie being slapped by the engine fan.

So maybe the higher pitched ticking at the front is a furphy and you should look for something stupid, like a misplaced cable tie tail. The noise from the rear sounds concerning. 'twere I you, I would be using a long screwdriver as a solid stethoscope to try to locate where on the cam cover the noise is loudest. At the very least, a piece of garden hose works  as a decent stethoscope to localise the source of the noise.

• Thanks 1

I originally thought lifters too but had my neighbour who knows a hit more about cars than me just say it is the typical skyline engine and the injectors. 

when I listened to it aswell it was defiantly coming primarily from the front of the engine bay, sounding like it was the fan. However the ticking noise didn’t start until the car was warmed up. When it was cold there was no ticking. Only started once the car had actually warmed up so that’s making me think it’s not the fan. I’ll try the screwdriver/garden hose trick and see if I can locate it or something like that.

1 minute ago, GTSBoy said:

Wow. 3 decent videos of the actual noise! That's a rarity on here these days.

A few points.

1. It's not the injectors. Or, if it is, then there is something really badly wrong!
  2. The 1st video's noise is from the front of the motor and it sounds like it is cam/lifter related. But....
  3. The 2nd video shows a lot of mechanical noise from the rear of the head. Louder and deeper than the noise from the front, and....
  4. The 3rd video makes me think of a cable tie being slapped by the engine fan.

So maybe the higher pitched ticking at the front is a furphy and you should look for something stupid, like a misplaced cable tie tail. The noise from the rear sounds concerning. 'twere I you, I would be using a long screwdriver as a solid stethoscope to try to locate where on the cam cover the noise is loudest. At the very least, a piece of garden hose works  as a decent stethoscope to localise the source of the noise.

It's only once the engine is hot that the fan's clutch starts to lock and drive the fan. Sure, before that it spins, but it's much slower than the engine. So, fan related noises do become much more apparent as the engine warms up.

Neos have solid lifters, so if they do ever wear (which is rare, but could happen as a result of poor oil change history, etc) then they get noisy. The cams lobes slap down on them like a pimp hand.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It's only once the engine is hot that the fan's clutch starts to lock and drive the fan. Sure, before that it spins, but it's much slower than the engine. So, fan related noises do become much more apparent as the engine warms up.

Neos have solid lifters, so if they do ever wear (which is rare, but could happen as a result of poor oil change history, etc) then they get noisy. The cams lobes slap down on them like a pimp hand.

Thanks for all your help, I’ll have a bit of a play around within the next few days to try figure out what the actual issue/s are. Thanks again for all your help, will keep you updated!

Update: had another look through the engine and realised that my radiator fan is cracked. Ordered a gk tech one to replace it (bit cheaper than oem + apparently helps with temps). Will get it replaced once the fan arrives and if the issue is still there continue to try and figure it out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfyy said:

Ordered a gk tech one to replace it (bit cheaper than oem + apparently helps with temps)

Nononononononono. The GKTech fan is intended for SR motors. It is actually intended to be a better match for them that the OEM fan, but....when put on an RB, they just don't work well.

Brand new OEM fan. Do eeeet!

• Like 2