SAU Community

Questions From A Potential Buyer....

Hi comrades,

Been considering a luxury sports coupe for a while now.

Saw a V35 350GT in white the other day...and after doing a wee bit of reseach, I'm hooked....seems like a whole lotta car for the money.

However, I'm a middle aged, DIY clutz !!! I like the easy life and really don't wanna buy myself a bucket of trouble, pain and frustration !!

So, before I do my usual thing, which is to rush out, buy what I want, and suffer later. I thought I'd ask a few questions from those who have been there before..

I've read a whole bunch of posts about things to watch out for when buying (thanks to those who posted this stuff) but these are still things on my mind:

1. Servicing and Repairs.

Where would I get the car serviced, and should anything break, repaired. I'm completely anal when it comes to servicing and maintenace so would want to be certain that the job was done properly. Would my local Nissan dealer be able (and willing) to do this?

2. Insurance.

Are there problems with getting an import insured? I'm currently insured with AAMI, and being in my mid 40's, insurance is pretty reasonable. Am I waving bye-bye to reasonably priced insurance by buying one of these beauties?

3. Cruise Control.

I like cruise control. I reckon that it's saved from any number of speeding tickets! I notice that these don't come with cruise control as standard (how odd!). How would I go about having CC fitted and how much would it set me back?

(Actually I noticed that the US, Infinity ones do seem to have cruise. But I don't really want one with Infinity written on the back !!)

Thanks guys. This is a great forum.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi comrades,

Been considering a luxury sports coupe for a while now.

Saw a V35 350GT in white the other day...and after doing a wee bit of reseach, I'm hooked....seems like a whole lotta car for the money.

However, I'm a middle aged, DIY clutz !!! I like the easy life and really don't wanna buy myself a bucket of trouble, pain and frustration !!

So, before I do my usual thing, which is to rush out, buy what I want, and suffer later. I thought I'd ask a few questions from those who have been there before..

I've read a whole bunch of posts about things to watch out for when buying (thanks to those who posted this stuff) but these are still things on my mind:

I guess my answers will be most relevant to you as I am middle aged too...

1. Servicing and Repairs.

Where would I get the car serviced, and should anything break, repaired. I'm completely anal when it comes to servicing and maintenace so would want to be certain that the job was done properly. Would my local Nissan dealer be able (and willing) to do this?

not sure where you are, but if in Melbourne I heard Nissan in Nunawading/Blackburn has been quite familiar with imports.

I took mine to City Nissan in North Melbourne, they look like know what to do anyhow, and even though my Chassis is V35, they put my chassis as Z33 (350Z)

as the engine, drivetrain, brakes and most suspension parts that needs regular servicing are the same as local 350Z items. (In exception if you buy a V35 350GT-8 sedan

with 8-sp CVT auto, in which the transmission is totally different to the CVT they fitted into local Maxima and Murano)

2. Insurance.

Are there problems with getting an import insured? I'm currently insured with AAMI, and being in my mid 40's, insurance is pretty reasonable. Am I waving bye-bye to reasonably priced insurance by buying one of these beauties?

Just Car Insurance. $900-1100 a year for market cover in a considered quite high risk Melbourne suburb. I think it's not bad considering the price, as I basically paid around the same when I had my R33 Gtst with only 1/3 to 1/2 the value of current V35

NOTE This is for over 30yo Rating 1 driver with pretty much spotless driving history. If you have bad driving history (fines, conviction,etc) or younger than 30 (but you're middle age so age is not a problem) then expect the figure to jump a lot than that.

3. Cruise Control.

I like cruise control. I reckon that it's saved from any number of speeding tickets! I notice that these don't come with cruise control as standard (how odd!). How would I go about having CC fitted and how much would it set me back?

(Actually I noticed that the US, Infinity ones do seem to have cruise. But I don't really want one with Infinity written on the back !!)

most JDM don't need CC because the nature of the traffic in Japan (traffic jam!) are not worth to fork the extra $ for cruise control.

You can either contact Chris Rogers (that's his ID) here in the forum to get you hooked up with some cruise control system with factory CC buttons,

or just get your local CC to fit a custom one, some came with indicator stalk-type control so it will look kind of OEM anyhow...

Thanks guys. This is a great forum.

you're welcome

It is...

I'm yet to take possesion of mine but from what I've been told Shannons would be a good choice as:

1) many insurance companies won't insure grey imports.

2) their premiums are reasonable for us ol' folk.

I looked at Shannon's quoting system, it seems that grey imports is not in the system and unable to quote on the web.

Is that mean the car will be insured as 'something else' e.g. a Maxima sedan or 350Z which potentially could lead to denial of payout in the event of accident as the actual car is different from what is covered?

Shannons advertise they cover the enthusiast. Best to speak to a human at Shannons, not get an on-line quote as they couldn't possibly cover the demographic they are supposed to cater for. in a pull down menu

The person I'm purchasing mine from uses Shannons for the reasons stated above, his premium is less than what I'm paying for my Calais, i found that interesting for a start :banana:

Edited by mosoto

I can answer the cruise question. RS73 is right they didnt come with cruise as they didnt need it. I do one in kit form(and RS73 has it) that looks and feels OE with the buttons in the OE spot and its also DBW.

parts, O/S or nissan for the driveline. odd's sods like window motors, lock motors,dash panels I tend to keep.

not to rain on Chris' parade but I believe it is possible to install on manual, what you need is a clutch switch in addition to brake (to prevent engine revving to redline when clutching in). I had an old Mitsubishi Galant manual with factory CC installed.

what's DBW, by the way Chris?

Oh wait - DBW = Drive By Wire...

I thought mine is the vacuum unit, not DBW? as I can feel the throttle grab, and when it's oscilating/hunting for the right cruise speed even on flat road...

I would have thought a DBW unit would solve all those vacuum unit issues....

i have mine insured with shannons and its stated on the policy as a v35 nissan skyline and its $1202.50 as my wife has had an accident in my r33 and we are both in our 40s i have had quote from just cars and they where dearer than shannons at the time

Have you ever fitted one to a Manual Chris? it's predominantly an option on Auto's isn't it?

nope. have done both and have a dedicated harness for both. there are a couple of 6 spd sedans running around with my system on them.

rianto - yes yours is vac based. that was the last of them before I perfected the DBW setup.( which when yours ws done it was 6 weeks away from being right.)

good that u guys can get shannon's insurance, coz they doesnt insure under 25.. but basically it's AAMI, and same shxt as Justcar.. same company..

ONLY insurer that accepts me = Justcar.. *sadly

comprehensive $1.6k, accident access $2k :banana:

Thanks guys.

Great posts....I'm now way better informed.

Should have said that I'm in Sydney.......can anyone comment on resources local to me? It'd be nice to locate a Sydney Nissan service center that's cosher with a V35.

Also for CC, looks like Chris Rogers is Brisbane based. Bit of a hike from Syd! @Chris - know of anyone doin' DBW CC in Sydney?

Better call my insurance company (AAMI) for a quote.....and start hunting for "my" car...

Happy Easter...hope that the bunny visited your place..

:P

good that u guys can get shannon's insurance, coz they doesnt insure under 25.. but basically it's AAMI, and same shxt as Justcar.. same company..

ONLY insurer that accepts me = Justcar.. *sadly

comprehensive $1.6k, accident access $2k :P

AAMI = Australian Associated Motor Insurers Limited. Justcars is underwritten by AAMI. But AAMI & JustCar is not Shannons, not the same company.

I think you got a bit confused there, at www.shannons.com.au the fine print stated that it is underwritten by Australian Alliance Insurance Company Limited (AAI) - which brands their insurance products through APIA (Aust Pensioner's Insurance Agency), Shannons, and InsureMyRide (for motorbikes) - see www.aai.com.au

nope. have done both and have a dedicated harness for both. there are a couple of 6 spd sedans running around with my system on them.

rianto - yes yours is vac based. that was the last of them before I perfected the DBW setup.( which when yours ws done it was 6 weeks away from being right.)

damn - so that's 2 being not right now :P - the tiny volume of GVN52 & the vac CC....

is there a way I can adjust the vac CC settings so it doesn't hunt so big? maybe we should start another thread as this is going off topic

Thanks guys.

Great posts....I'm now way better informed.

Should have said that I'm in Sydney.......can anyone comment on resources local to me? It'd be nice to locate a Sydney Nissan service center that's cosher with a V35.

Also for CC, looks like Chris Rogers is Brisbane based. Bit of a hike from Syd! @Chris - know of anyone doin' DBW CC in Sydney?

Better call my insurance company (AAMI) for a quote.....and start hunting for "my" car...

Happy Easter...hope that the bunny visited your place..

:P

I have guys there that can fit the kit I supply.