SAU Community

Air Con Dramas.

burkey22

Hello all.

When I went to start my car today it was sluggish to start. Like my battery was a little flat. But it did start and once it was running I could hear a belt squealing. I didn't really think anything of it even though this was the first time it had happened. My old wagon used to do it all the time.

But then I could smell burning belts. I turned off the aircon and it stopped. Then turned it back on and the revs dropped about 200revs and the squealing started again. I hopped out and had a look under the bonnet and everything looked as it should then sure enough when I turned the aircon back on the belt was slipping. It was barely turning.

Even when I was driving at 100kmh I tried it and I could hear squealing and my revs dropped abit.

Obviously theres something wrong with the compressor but Im just wondering if anyone might know what exactly. It the pump seized or does the clutch on the pump need adjusting or something? Other than this the aircon worked fine although I did notice it wouldnt get anywhere near as cold as my brothers R34 Gt-t and on hot days it really struggled.

Are compressor motors easy to come by and roughly how much? They look like theyd be a pain to replace. Is this so?

Sorry about the long winded post.

Any help would be great.

Edited by burkey22

First of all it's not ur condenser... it's a compressor, condenser is the radiator looking thing at the front of the car...

I say ur compressor is seized, you can not change it... it's against the law... u need a refrigerant handling license to work on an A/C...

U'll need a mechanic to do it for u...

Yep. I got the squeeling from my air con belt. For a long time thought it was the alt belt. Mechanic is coming neat week for service. Will let you know.

On the other squeaking banshee, hope to get the dreaded front end squeak fixed too.