SAU Community

Oil Pickup Modification Rb30/rb26

leeroy_25

I have tried searching on this and cannot get any matches..

I am building a RB30 with RB26 head and 4WD sump.. I know I need to mod the oil pickup pipe to suit but was after some advice on this.. Which is the easier pickup pipe to start the mod with? The RB26 one or the RB30 one? When fitted to their associated block are they both picking up oil from the same point in space? If so then I guess the RB30 is easier to Mod as it shoul donly need extending in height to cater for the adapter plate?

Otherwise I figure I need to extend it in length so it's in the correct point in the sump well and then increase the depth of it by the thickness of the sump adapter? Is that about the size of it?

Thank you

Lee

Lee,

Neither. It's not a "simple fab job" that's for sure, I had a customer from England point me to your thread on the UK forum. You need to get a block, fit the plate, fit a sump with the bottom removed and fabricate a pickup that will fit in the space left. You will need at least one very tight radius mandrel bend coming from the flange and still have a way to get a bolt under it to be able to mount the pickup to the block and be able to tighten the bolt. Would probably be easy to do if you didn't want to retain the same ID on the pickup pipe but that's not a good option.

Just as an indication, it takes longer to make our pickup than it does to machine the plate and sort and pack the fasteners.

Cheers,

Greg

P.S. Are you the Lee from the UK that was emailing me a while back asking for the CAD file for our crank collars?

lol im guessing you got a chuckle from that email? I would think it isnt polite to ask for someone elses CAD drawings. Especially of something they machine and sell.

Lee you could just buy one from say....proengines perhaps? Oil pickups are finicky!

Edited by r33_racer

Hey guys'

Yes I am the same guy.. I wasn't actually intending to sell them at the time and as I pointed out in my ad I can only get very few done.

In life you don't ask.. you don't get.

How much is an oil pickup then? I am going to run a std 4wd sump with additional baffling.

Cheers

Lee

Is the internal pickup reliable, can anyone who has done the RB30 bottom end with this shed some light on there personnel experiences are there any benefits from going to an external, or is it just a cost decision.

Lee, we don't sell the pickups as a separate part, only as part of the full kit. We might do them in the future but currently have trouble keeping enough done to go with the kits. For a one of job it's probably simpler to run an external pickup.

Hi guys'

External is another option I was considering.. When I have it at that stage I will look a little closer.

I was planning to make a jig off my RB26 block and oil pickup to get the pickup end in the correct position and then create the necessary pipe work between that to reach the RB30 block. if I run into problems I will explore the external route..

I like a challenge and I can hopefully stand back proud at the end of the day knowing I did it myself. Assuming it doesn't go bang off course! Shouldn't really joke!

Lee

i did it with an 8mm plate and it was a bitch. took me a long time.

I chopped up 2x rb30 pickups and also one that came with a trust extended sump.

i had to use an oxy set to tweak it a little and it was still a nightmare