SAU Community

Targa Tasmania

Godcla

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad for a $170K car 'built to a price' mixing it up with $500K cars in outright performance :banana:

Martin...don't talk like that you might anger the R32 Gods and they shall rise from their garages in Punchbowl and smite thee with their 24 inch bling wheels.

"However...it is perfectly clear that the r35 was built to a price and is not the beautifully over-engineered car that the r32 was"

Dazmo...I think it is here that you will find the bitching about price.

The R32 was and is a piece of engineering beauty, it is hardcore and was so easily tuned to be a monster. The latest Wheels has a beautiful comparison of the Richards/Scaife R32 versus the new R35. The 92' R32 would have qualified 5th on todays V8 supercar grid....bloody impressive, however it is very easy to sit back after 17 years of further development on the car and say how much better it is as a track car. The R32 was built to a purpose...that purpose was a Group A track car, the R35 was built to beat the Twin Turbo 911.

From early track work and results the R35 is proving to be a very formitable force, give it anoth 12 months of race development and you will start seeing more of its potential.

If we are comparing apples with apples and taking an R32 straight from the showroom floor in stock mode and then do the same with an R35, I think that the R35 is an exceptional piece of engineering.

Lets have this conversation when the R35 has had the time to get a similar amount of race track testing and modification as the R32. The potential of the R35 is well documented, it is now that the perfecting of these modifications and finding the cars limits begins.

Next years Targa would be a test of 12 month development.

Anyway...we may not have to wait 12 months to see it wins it first...Go Quinn.

Kevin Weeks ( Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera) has Crashed out (Taken to Hospital but nothing Critical)....

Quinn (GTR R35) now leading by over 3 min to 2nd place White ( Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera)......

Am I reading it incorrectly or do Q/T now have a massive lead on the pack? Weeks has slowed right down and now it looks like Quinn is taking it easy and just trying to finish/saving the car.

For a while they were in a heated battle and left the field behind. That seems to have taken it's toll on the Lambo.

Fingers + Toes crossed for the Quinn win!

Am I reading it incorrectly or do Q/T now have a massive lead on the pack? Weeks has slowed right down and now it looks like Quinn is taking it easy and just trying to finish/saving the car.

For a while they were in a heated battle and left the field behind. That seems to have taken it's toll on the Lambo.

Fingers + Toes crossed for the Quinn win!

Yep......Quinn should now have a good buffer to 2nd car......Also being AWD the 2 Lambos put up a great fight......

" 1:08pm - Jason White is reporting brake problems in his Lamborghini, and has no confidence in them, even at a reduced speed. He is only four seconds in front of Jamie Vandenberg, with just the 6.60km Risdon Brook stage left to run."

Looks like Quinn and the R35GTR has it :)

Go you under-engineered, overweight, fragile, over priced, ugly, good thing! :P;)

" Queenslander Tony Quinn, driving a Nissan GTR, has run out a comfortable six-minute winner of the modern section of Targa Tasmania ....."

;);):banana:

" Quinn, a former Targa New Zealand winner, threw down the gauntlet on the first stage just outside Strahan, beating Weeks by 11 seconds to reclaim the lead.

Weeks set off in pursuit, but he and co-driver, Bec Crunkhorn, crashed their Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera into trees near the end of the Queenstown stage.

Medical crew were quickly on the scene to assist Weeks and Crunkhorn. Both were conscious and talking to the rescuers before being airlifted to Hobart General Hospital for further medical assessment; their dream of a first Targa title in tatters.

Quinn’s lead was then out to nearly four minutes and, with the Lamborghini of Jason White behind him experiencing major brake problems, he was able to cruise in to Hobart to collect the spoils of victory.

“Our strategy was always to keep up with the others and if we got the wet weather over the last day or two, just to have a lunge for it,” Quinn said. "

I wonder how long it will be before we see a stripped out factory version of the R35 without the safety gremlins built in. Almost every other manufacturer including Nissan has made at some time a track special that can legally be registered on road. Does anybody know the entry weight of Quinn's car ?

I wonder how long it will be before we see a stripped out factory version of the R35 without the safety gremlins built in. Almost every other manufacturer including Nissan has made at some time a track special that can legally be registered on road. Does anybody know the entry weight of Quinn's car ?

Quoted saying he was 400kg more .......then GT2's...or and Lambos...?

Worked out OK for him....can't ask much more then a 6min Win....

Edited by Godcla

LOL, yes it probably has aftermarket rotors with race pas, A few coolers here and there. An exhaust and ECU opening up some more power and some pricey shocks :P

Next year will be like a one make series at Targa

Does anyone know what modifications were done to this car. ie brakes, suspension, engine mods??????

I'm curious about this also.

I know that the weight is near stock (!), wheels and tires (RFTs !!!) also definitely stock. The suspension

was stock at previous events but not sure about this one.

Brakes can't possibly be stock, can they??? Speed limiter obviously removed.

The exhaust is definitely not stock, at Rally Tas it sounded like some sort of giant monster

was trolling the Tassy woods, it's roars echoing through their valleys.