SAU Community

Importing A Car From Japan

n/a_r34GT

hey

im chasing a r34 gt coupe the non turbo cause im on p's or will be in a few weeks. i have about 15grand saved up from my apprenticeship.

i only have lil knowledge of the process. i relise there are another hundred posts on here reguarding this question. but what are the top sites to look at?,what are the steps in the process? how much could i be expecting this type of car to be at an auction in japan? how much should i expect to pay for shipping, compliance etc. and will the 15k be enough for what im after? i have seen this exact car i want on ebay for 17 grand which already has rego and compliance etc. but i was hoping i could get a bit cheaper if not cheaper than 15 in total...any help will be appreciated. cheers luke

• 2 weeks later...

Can't Say to much about the specifics but I imported a car using Iron Chef and the process was quick and easy. Got exactly what I wanted too :cheers:.

So shop around and find the right importer for you.

Really prefer to avoid importers

They dont provide any warranty on cars and are not legally licenced to sell or trade cars

I suppose any idiot who has a contact in Japan can do the job :D no offence but its reality

Really prefer to avoid importers

They dont provide any warranty on cars and are not legally licenced to sell or trade cars

I suppose any idiot who has a contact in Japan can do the job :yes: no offence but its reality

Anyone can import a car - it's knowing the car will 1) actually make it here and 2) be in a good enough condition to comply that is the reason why brokers are worth their money, which is always going to be cheaper than the margins from a dealer.

If you want to buy from a dealer, then good luck to you - I often send people to dealers, people who aren't able to trust someone to buy a car for them overseas, and would rather see the car in the metal. Dealers use their own money to bring in stock, and have to provide all sorts of warranties to their customers, that's why they charge more than a broker will (and have every right to do so - they're not running a charity).

Two different target markets, as far as I'm concerned. Either way, don't slag brokers and expect it to go unanswered ;)

Edited by Iron Chef

Fair enough bud

I work in the justice system and what brokers all over australia are doing is illegal

If you are engaging in trade plus advertising cars plus selling cars and broking cars

you must be a car dealer; not some internet business

If consumer affairs licencing division comes across brokers they will all get shafted big time :D

peace

For someone who works in the justice system, you seem to have a hard time telling the difference between a seller and a broker. If advertising someone else's cars is illegal, then carsales.com.au is gonna be in plenty of trouble.

I've already been investigated by Consumer Affairs regarding my business (I'd love to know who the sook was who gave the "anonymous tip-off"), and have a letter in my filing cabinet from them that I'm clear enough on my website that people visiting aren't going to get me mixed up with a dealer, and that I'm free to continue trading.

Fair enough bud

I work in the justice system and what brokers all over australia are doing is illegal

If you are engaging in trade plus advertising cars plus selling cars and broking cars

you must be a car dealer; not some internet business

If consumer affairs licencing division comes across brokers they will all get shafted big time :)

peace

big-cup-backgrnd.jpg

Bud you take things 2 personal

i dont need your life story if u been investigated

fact is fact

whether it is you or other broker what is done and being done is illegal

Consume Affairs is one party ; licencing division is another;

I recommend you go home and read about the legislation " the new legislation" passed last week :)

Just for your sake bud or anyone else's Id be buying from a licenced dealer in OZ

matter of fact bud Prestige Motor sport is a licenced car dealer

The business is involved in the motor trade

The business legally sells and does the importer job

Thats a thumbs up

All other back yard importers best to do it legally unless you want hefty fines :)

parallel concept- I geuss that tars me with the same brush then as I work from home, have a website and sell things nationwide and worldwide.

even though I do not have a physical retail area. (I have a workshop.)

for the record I do work for prestige and chef. both are reputable people and both work DAMN hard for their income. they are FULLY aware of their licences for their state and what needs to be held to trade publicly.

next I'll have you telling me I cannot have a sign on my workshop because its in a residential area.

let the original poster get his question answered and for everyones sake- piss off!