SAU Community

Nm35 Sat/nav

Nick Bailey

The day I bought mine, reversed out of the driveway with the handbrake on "Something, something, something, handbrakeo" (Lady in japanese, obviously) thought it was hilarious.

LOL

My RS doesn't talk to me, but my mate's RS greets him every time he turns the key.

(he hates it because he doesn't know what she is saying - and it is just too funny not to tell him it is only a greeting)

• 2 weeks later...

Think I found some-one on the Gold Coast who can re-write the firmware on the NM35 for sat/nav. he has done it on a 2 x 350gt's. Am waiting for him to call me back, will know towards the end of next week.

Think I found some-one on the Gold Coast who can re-write the firmware on the NM35 for sat/nav. he has done it on a 2 x 350gt's. Am waiting for him to call me back, will know towards the end of next week.

I gather you are implying he can fix the maps up so they are australian?

I think a few people have looked at this avenue with no luck, however if it can be done I would very much be interested :action-smiley-069: I would even take a road trip to come up and get it done if the price was right.

+1.There's a lot of people on here keen.

I'm not sure the Nav and maps will ever work though as the system fundamentally is Japanese. It'd be huge work to flash the firmware to get it to use a whole new nav system with aussie maps, effectively this is redoing the whole thing! But it shouldn't be a lot of work to flash for english language on things at the least, menus etc. Lots of us would be happy with just that I reckon.

Why doesn't mine talk? I've never heard it took in any language, not even when I drive with the driver's door open lol

Do you have to do anything special to activate it?

:action-smiley-069:

do you have the jap navi disc? if so press the top left button. OR run out of fuel. then it will talk.

I would like to know this as well. that would save everyone the hassle of the russian hack.

in saying this , it will only be the menu's that will be corrected. the mapping system is like nothing else that is commercially available here.

if he gets win CE5 running on this thing then the maps will be a no brainer. otherwise its just menus. 70% of those are of no use to anyone here.the ETC and VICS parts do not work here and 90% of th cars do not have the VICS radio (external box) in place anyway.

bise bee,

see above comment.

+1.There's a lot of people on here keen.

I'm not sure the Nav and maps will ever work though as the system fundamentally is Japanese. It'd be huge work to flash the firmware to get it to use a whole new nav system with aussie maps, effectively this is redoing the whole thing! But it shouldn't be a lot of work to flash for english language on things at the least, menus etc. Lots of us would be happy with just that I reckon.

After my first conversation with him, my understanding is that he re-writes the whole thing and gets rid of all the stuff we don't need.

This was always my logic on it, it is simply a computer which will do what ever you programme it to do. The screen is just a screen and the dash buttons are triggers, which are programmable.

He apparently is contacting a friend in Japan regarding the NM35 system. Could all be a waste of time, just have to wait and see.

Even if this guy isn't the man, I do believe re-writing is the solution.

ok so the only things left on this will be the service menus,fuel economy,compass and warning system.

I agree with you on your logic. if he knows what processor is in the thing then he's one step up on everyone else. to date I have yet to find a schematic on the thing.

actually if he's that good see if he can rewrite the code and add a bit of hardware to take a IR based digital TV tuner. that would solve most of what you guys want.

a contact number would be good as well. I would like to speak to him. (actually is this guy an american)

do you have the jap navi disc? if so press the top left button. OR run out of fuel. then it will talk.

Let's clarify, I gather you want me to put the disc into the sat nav drive and then press the top left button on the control panel under the screen? sorry if I'm being dense :blink:

the ETC and VICS parts do not work here and 90% of th cars do not have the VICS radio (external box) in place anyway.

Mine has both ETC and VICS, what can I do with the VICS? :action-smiley-069: I just assumed it was something Japanese that was useless here, please tell me I'm wrong because then it's another thing I can tell Iain I have that he doesn't :( lol

ETC - that part you will see. VICS you wont. its a hidden box that hangs off the back of the TV tuner.

only real way of knowing it's there is the beacon on the dash. if thats there (it will have a vics logo on it.) then you have the system.

as for what it is - see suna traffic system. same idea.

as for the talking - yep pop the disc in and let it load. one loaded and the maps are up then press the top button. it will talk.

Edited by Chris Rogers

Chris

You seem to be the most informed on this subject, could you please e-mail me at [email protected] with whatever info you have, the main problems and anything else you feel may assist when I speak with my guy. When I talk to him I will ask if I can give you his number. I am still sceptical myself until I see it work, I want to take a drive to the coast next week and look at his 350gt and clarify the exact extent of his conversion and what does and doesn't work.

as for the talking - yep pop the disc in and let it load. one loaded and the maps are up then press the top button. it will talk.

Did it, it works: Japanese Lady says something in bad tinny audio. Funny.

Did it, it works: Japanese Lady says something in bad tinny audio. Funny.

I havn't got in my Stag since Chris told me so I havn't tried it yet!!

Does she talk all the time now? Like if you drive with your driver's door open? lol