SAU Community

diff gone or tailshaft?

sky^rkt

ok just wanting people opinions. ive got a hr31 4 door pillarless turbo, and ive got a problem, when the car looses traction it seems to shudder/thump abit (makes the bak end jumpy)(its abit hard to explain) and when i change gears as i let go of the clutch it tends to thump a little as it goes into gear. i cheked my tailshaft a day ago, didnt fuly take it off but the rubber part in the middle seems to be very brittle and falling apart. what culd it be? my tailshaft gone? my diff? my clutch? my gearbox?

opinions please

thanx =]

sounds like the centre bearing is gone. as this is a two piece tailshaft, there is a CV joint in the middle which has a bearing which supports it. This is surrounded by rubber. When they wear, you get a shudder/vibration through the car at certain speeds. The clunk could be stuffed Uni-joints too. While you are under there check out the play in the tailshaft by twisting it (in gear) and see how much play there is in it. and if it makes that clunking sound, this will be worn uni's. Also if you get a shakey gearstick, then you also have problems with a broken gearbox mount and worn engine mounts.

Hope that helps.