SAU Community

Gtr T618z Kit ... Go-no Go?

520 wkw is an awfull lot for 700cc injectors... hmmm.

they are setup as secondary injectors with the emanage.... its what happens when marketing get involved with technical stuff... :D

would you believe it was running an e-manage blue too ? ive got the tune here somewhere as i used it for tech seminars :P

Edited by URAS

I upgraded my T517z to a T618Z a while back.

I lost a bit of bottom end and gained a lot more at top end as expected.

It's on a 3L so it's not laggy at all.

I would love to know how these compare to the HKS GTRS though.

on a 3l they would be quite fun, whats done up top? what sort of power? and at what boost? Ive never used them on a 3litre.

When do you start making usable boost with the 3lt? What was the diffrence in respose roughly? 300-500 rpm???

Don't suppose you have a dyno sheet?

Cheers

J.

I was hoping that I can compare the difference on the dyno. However my tuner upgraded his dyno between the turbo change over. We compared my setup with a few other 2.6 with T517z. It's been a while but from memory, the T618Z's on the 3L comes on boost quicker and has more top end power than the 2.6 + T517 setup.

I am not a real fan of dyno number. The car made somewhere around 420rwkw with boost 98 in South Australia then made 600rwhp on a dyno in QLD. Changed to a vipec ecu and e85 fuel and only made 580hp at another dyno in QLD :P

The car is going through a few changes in the garage at the moment. The funny thing is that I made all of that power with a 100mm HKS copy intercooler :P I did not realise it until I took the intercooler off :)

Trent, the head is slightly high flowed with 272 and big lift.

Do they get restrictive/start running out of puff in the top end on the 3lt? Whats your rev limmit?

Cheers

J.

I was hoping that I can compare the difference on the dyno. However my tuner upgraded his dyno between the turbo change over. We compared my setup with a few other 2.6 with T517z. It's been a while but from memory, the T618Z's on the 3L comes on boost quicker and has more top end power than the 2.6 + T517 setup.

I am not a real fan of dyno number. The car made somewhere around 420rwkw with boost 98 in South Australia then made 600rwhp on a dyno in QLD. Changed to a vipec ecu and e85 fuel and only made 580hp at another dyno in QLD :D

The car is going through a few changes in the garage at the moment. The funny thing is that I made all of that power with a 100mm HKS copy intercooler :) I did not realise it until I took the intercooler off :)

Trent, the head is slightly high flowed with 272 and big lift.

Xrated, you can see on the dyno that the torque falls off a bit but it doesn't feel like it on the road. The T517z definitely was restrictive at top end, but the midrange was phenomenal. If my car is a dedicated circuit car I would of kept them.

how do the T618Z's compare to the GTRS's in terms of dimensions (housing etc) & what are they rated at each?

T618Z's and GT-RS are rated at 400ps

Comp specs;

IN 50.5mm OUT 68mm

Exh Specs;

IN 55.3mm OUT 65mm

HKS GT-RS

Comp specs;

IN 51mm OUT 71.1mm

Exh Specs;

IN 47mm OUT 63mm

Edited by URAS

interesting that the comp specs of the GTRS is larger yet the exh specs of the T618Z is larger.

which of the 2 determines more power even though they are equal in ps?

are the trust turbines bush & not bearing?

interesting that the comp specs of the GTRS is larger yet the exh specs of the T618Z is larger.

which of the 2 determines more power even though they are equal in ps?

are the trust turbines bush & not bearing?

two different methods to achieve the same results. all trust turbos are bush (something i prefer even though i use more bb, due to brainwashed ppl)

i cant honestly compare back to back as the only pair of turbos yet to grace my shop are the GT-RS :)

Edited by URAS

You are amazing Uras and thanks for the info.

That info is very hard to get!

I looked everywhere for that info before I ordered the T618Z and had to speculate the wheels sizes from the TD06 and another turbo.

You wouldn't have a compressor map for the T618z handy do you?

honestly bearing type has about as much impact on the turbo power and response as the colour of the box it came in.

the myth that if a turbo is ball bearing it's more responsive than any bush bearing is just that. a myth.

the things that dictate power and response of a turbo is the sizing of the housings, their A/R, the matching of compressor size to turbine size, wheel trim, wheel size and many others. bearing type is at the bottom of the list. the main reason many companies went ball bearing was to increase service life. it's more a reliability thing than a response thing. a decent high performance 270 or 360 degree thurst bearing is fine. when running the shaft is floating on a layer of oil and not touching any metal. sure there should be some friction gain in ball bearing but it's hardly the deciding factor.\

trust make some great high performance aftermarket turbos but often get shunned cause they are not ball bearing. big deal. bush bearing are also easier and cheaper to rebuild the core. ball bearing s require a new bearing pack/core assembley which is up to $1000 for some models.

good point beer baron - my brother & i had this conversation where he is of the opinion that trust build great bush turbo's which almost sounds like old technology doesn't it...at the time i thought this is ridiculous BUT the above info makes sense

when i used to race r.c. cars bush electric motors & wheels were cheap & nasty - then u had the all mighty full race bearing version :action-smiley-069: the myth has been drummed in my head ever since

won't be too much help.. I've got 2 mates each running the set-ups mentioned above on stock capacity 26's with small head work, ported + cams.

Both car's are laggy, GTRS's won't start moving till 4500rpm and will push you into the seat hard 500rpm later. Will keep making power all the way to 8000rpm.. On the other hand the t618z car will be some 500rpm laggier as it builds up to 1.5 bar very late on the band. Massive top end on it well past 8000rpm on the 26. Unless your throwing it on a 30 I wouldn't bother as it is very laggy on the 26. 1st gear is pretty much useless topping 1 bar, then making a full 1.5 in 2nd.

Very brief description I know but thought id add something in.

Cheers mate... Thats the sort of info I'm trying to gather

won't be too much help.. I've got 2 mates each running the set-ups mentioned above on stock capacity 26's with small head work, ported + cams.

Both car's are laggy, GTRS's won't start moving till 4500rpm and will push you into the seat hard 500rpm later. Will keep making power all the way to 8000rpm.. On the other hand the t618z car will be some 500rpm laggier as it builds up to 1.5 bar very late on the band. Massive top end on it well past 8000rpm on the 26. Unless your throwing it on a 30 I wouldn't bother as it is very laggy on the 26. 1st gear is pretty much useless topping 1 bar, then making a full 1.5 in 2nd.

Very brief description I know but thought id add something in.

Has anyone got a real world dyno sheet for these T618Z's on a 26 or a 28??

J

i have the original dyno graphs from the TRUST car somewhere, but it is a bosch dyno graph.