SAU Community

Permits For Mods

Blinky101

Hi Everyone.

Starting the planning phase of an R33 upgrade, and need to know some legalities. How do permits get obtained, what permits are required and how closely to the cops look at permits. I am looking to build a serious drive car but don't want to be yellowed every time I head down the road.

Let me know of your experiences or share your knowledge in this area please.

Cheers Blinky

More info?

What kind of mods?

Basic mods, just download an app form off the DPI website or ring up/go into centre and get one.

Bigger mods require a Light (Commercial) Vehicle Modification Application or whatever they're called, which needs approval before mods can begin, from there, you need to download additional 'VSB14' sheets, and fill out appropriate forms relevant to the modifications, taking them with you to the pits along with engineering documents to get them passed. (This only applies for big shit like engine swaps, chassis/body modifications, etc).

Once you get your mods passed, thats it, cops don't really have ground for a sticker.

VSB14 also covers what IS and ISNT legal, nothing specific, but it denotes legal power-to-weight ratio's, types of swaps you can do, outlines the limits of chassis mods, defines what brakes, suspension, steering, etc are required when modifying, etc.

Edited by Nic_A31

Looks like I have a bit of paper work to do then. I am looking at either a dirty 30 or RB26 swap to replace the current RB25.

Thats the only mod I think I would need a permit for, the rest is cosmetic, ie, boot, bigger rims etc...

Upgradding a R33 to R33 GTR is easier, because that counts as installing "optional engine", "optional transmission", etc, bascially its the same car with all the fruit, but again, go the whole nine yards and be safe.

An RB30 is a different story, the power to weight ratio will be different on your R33, and R31 brakes wont pass over the pits, so you'll need something bad-ass, ring the guys at the DPI for more info on that.

Crossmembers can be fabricated for about $500 each w/ certs, at the most (no, anyone who tells you otherwise is a tosser who can't do homework) and just have them made to use the stock mounts so you dont need to use customs.

The rest should be all sweet, rims have their limits, and unless you want a huge 40 inch Suburu style bonnet, you're fine.

VSB 1 through 14

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...etin/index.aspx

Modification Application (Light (Production) Vehicles)

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_modform_prodveh.pdf

Edited by Nic_A31

Ok

I checked out the DPI web site and then the link you gave me. To be honest it doesnt look that complicated.

Work out what I want to do, apply for the approval and get it, do the work, have it inspected and passed, drive with permits to flash at cops.

Sound about right???

Alot easier than people tell you it will be, but easier said that done.

Plan it

Apply

The app comes back, telling you exactly what you need to do, take it to any fabricators if neccesary, or go ahead with the work, take it over the pits, and yeah, you should go all good hopefully.

With the application, dont be scared of "out there" idea's, they dont judge it by "thats going to be an idiots car" or "yes thats fine", if they can see you know your shit and you put safety before moron performance, they'll give you a green light.

Alot of people told me applying for a J30 Maxima RWD conversion would never be approved by the DPI, but hey, I proved that to be wrong, not that I've taken that idea any further.

Try for an RB30 if you want, just focus on making it afe, reliable, and do a proper job and take your time, then the DPI guys should be easy on ya.

dont go to the pits until you get stickered.

and then cry when you get stickered for things that you have permits for because cops Dont give a rats ar** about them

dont goto the pits until you get stickered.

extremely good advice.

plus some cops will just say 'you replaced the part that you got the permit for with an illegal one' and sticker you anyway.

if you dont want to be stickered buy a volvo.

If you dont want to be stickered then simply dont make the car illegal... sorry to say but i have never once had to pop my bonnet and neither has my brother and his is carbon fibre...

if your car looks straight and is not excessively loud and your not doing the wrong thing you will not have a problem...

By fitting a 26 or a 30, they will ask you for an emissions test = decent $$$ now. Plan this one well in advance if you want to go through with it.

dont goto the pits until you get stickered.

Why? Really you are supposed to apply for the modifications before beginning them, as their reply would only be a pre-approval which is then subject to an inspection where they will either permit it, or not. By having a sticker & going through the pits if it's not removed you will have to try again x number of times, while if you have the pre-approval & they don't allow it, at least you don't have a defect notice on your car to go with it.

It's valid for 2 years so you have the time to get it done, but really when it comes down to it if everything is done properly, chances are there won't be too much of an issue.

extremely good advice.

plus some cops will just say 'you replaced the part that you got the permit for with an illegal one' and sticker you anyway.

if you dont want to be stickered buy a volvo.

Not good advice, as going over with a sticker & there is something/s they say you need a permit for, at best you will get an extension to that yellow sticker & then get to play the waiting game to hear back from the tech section about it, which could take weeks. *above comment here too*

If those cops were to say that to me I would be taking their details for an official complaint. The brand name is also listed on the permit, so if they were going to sticker me for having a Garrett turbo when my permit lists it as a Garrett turbocharger fitted, I wouldn't exactly be taking it on the chin :P