SAU Community

Should i install a lightened flywheel

Guest darrinspencer

Guest darrinspencer

I have a 33 rb25det and i am installing a new clutch next week.

Should I install a lightened flywheel at the same time when i have the gearbox out

Are there any disadvantages with installing one for street use.

A good upgrade, cost about $200 to drop a gearbox so it would be worth while doing it at the same time.

the reduction of weight will give you an improved midrange torque and improve engine responsiveness. Cant really think of any downsides.

I got myself a Ogura lightened flywheel for my R33gtst about 2 months ago. I had the clutch replaced at the same time anyway.

There is vibration at low revs about < 2000rpm, and and you can can hear it too.

Was told that this is OK, and not unusual for such a light flywheel.

Comments?

Vibration would have me thinking out of balance - doesnt sound right to me. I have been passenger in cars with lightened flywheel and never noticed any vibrations or noises. My car has a lightened flywheel but its part of a twinplate clutch setup - so I suppose that doesnt really count.

I would have thought that any performance flywheel would have been balanced (or at least checked for balance) as part of quality control?

Wouldn't this come under "The Phantom"s thoery that the heavier weight of the std item abosrbs more or the vibrations. Like how he said the OS GIKEN(?) crankshafts for the rb30 they make is "Overbalanced" rather than lightened to abosrb....?

the only downside to a lightened flywheel is for uphill momentum, since the flywheel is direct onto the engine, a higher weight one will maintain momemtum easier but reduce response, lightened will lose momentum but respond better!!! it's about response more than power.

i have the super light from UAS, pretty good! have noticed it easier to stall for people who havent driven these cars before as it is added to the strong clutch rate too!!

Guest darrinspencer

This is my car i did in July

Same colour

lucky i live in Brisbane, otherwise i would have to re-paint

got next week of work. Pulling the motor out and painting the engine bay.

mine use to be wime red.