SAU Community

Strange Noises From 26

I've noticed two strange noises coming from the 26 so i just wanted to know what are your thoughts.

The first happens when i give it a quick rev to about 2000rpm as soon as i let go an it starts to drop off u hear like noisy tappets sort of noise from the head (clack clack clack very quickly) and it stops even before it reaches back to idle.

Its the kind of noise you'd get from using thin oil but i'm using Redline 20w50, with absolutely no strange noises on cold starts or idling otherwise.

Oil pressure is good also - 88psi cold and 24psi hot at idle.

It just doesn't seem normal.

The second happens only when the car warms up. It's the kind of noise u get when u over tighten a timing belt, but i'm not sure if its coming from the timing belt area.

It sounds like its coming from the exhaust valve cover around the no.2 area, so i took it off and everything looked ok.... ie. no scratch marks on the cam lobes and everything looked lubed up.

Not sure if my mind is playing games on me but its hard to pin point this one.

Is there any thing that can be bad, or going bad to make this sort of groaning noise?

As i said....only happens when the car is warmed up.

When i bought the engine from the importers it already had the water pump and timing belt changed, i dont know if the tensioner and idler pullies were changed and i don't know the milage on the engine (R33)

Thanks.

I've noticed two strange noises coming from the 26 so i just wanted to know what are your thoughts.

The first happens when i give it a quick rev to about 2000rpm as soon as i let go an it starts to drop off u hear like noisy tappets sort of noise from the head (clack clack clack very quickly) and it stops even before it reaches back to idle.

Its the kind of noise you'd get from using thin oil but i'm using Redline 20w50, with absolutely no strange noises on cold starts or idling otherwise.

Oil pressure is good also - 88psi cold and 24psi hot at idle.

It just doesn't seem normal.

The second happens only when the car warms up. It's the kind of noise u get when u over tighten a timing belt, but i'm not sure if its coming from the timing belt area.

It sounds like its coming from the exhaust valve cover around the no.2 area, so i took it off and everything looked ok.... ie. no scratch marks on the cam lobes and everything looked lubed up.

Not sure if my mind is playing games on me but its hard to pin point this one.

Is there any thing that can be bad, or going bad to make this sort of groaning noise?

As i said....only happens when the car is warmed up.

When i bought the engine from the importers it already had the water pump and timing belt changed, i dont know if the tensioner and idler pullies were changed and i don't know the milage on the engine (R33)

Thanks.

Try checking the turbo's wastegate actuator

The noise you get from revving to 2000 quickly and backing off might not be the best and is usually associated with bearings as it occurs when you snap the throttle shut.

Your thicker oil could contribute to it - when you rev the engine the oil that moves to the head may not be able to get back to the bearings in time as its too thick... Just a guess.

The timing belt noise is hard to say - have you tried listening to the cam cover using a screwdriver to get a better idea of where the noise is coming from?

it's injectors. what happens is when you rev they are running. as you quickly step off the throttle for a split second they all shut and are quiet for a moment, then as the revs fall and return to idle they start again. GTR 440cc injectors are very noisy. I have to lol at the number of people who have told me they have noisy tappets etc when it was just normal RB26 injector noise. tappa tappa tappa.

i have no idea what the second noise is. get it checked out. but without hearing the car, what you described first is the injectors.

I guess when u rev that's when they start to make noise because there isn't any noise on idle.?!?

And in that case if i hold the throttle open at a constant rpm, i'm supposed to hear this noise continuously then?!?

yep they are noisy at idle too. the only time the noise will stop (if it's injector noise) is that brief moment when you rev the engine up to say 3,000rpm then quickly get off the throttle. as soon as you get off the throttle the noise will stop for a second as the revs fall, then start again as it hits idle rpm. so if it's not making this noise at idle, the sadly it's most likely something else. GTR injectors are very noisy though and that noise is often mistaken for other things by those not used to what RB26 sounds like.

When my old man had his R34 GTR we had a concern over a noisy tappet type sound but was told by multiple workshops it was just the solid lifters that the GTR has but GTS-T's don't, and that it was completely normal.

I must say the RB26 even in R34 guise did not seem to be a particularly refined engine but all is forgiven when the driving experience is considered.

Edited by Swink33

Try recording the sound and post it on youtube or somthing, since its hard to describe a sound in words.

Also, why 20w50? is this for track or street? Nissan's specification is 7.5w30 or somthing for street.

most these rb's have done a fair few km's 20w-50 wont be the issue. i would not run 7.5w-30 in any gtr other than a new engine. 10w-40 at the least.

i reckon the noise in this case will be the injectors like beer baron has posted, we get countless gtr owners complaining with the same issue.

I thought he said the noise only came on decel, then went away at idle.

"The first happens when i give it a quick rev to about 2000rpm as soon as i let go an it starts to drop off u hear like noisy tappets sort of noise from the head (clack clack clack very quickly) and it stops even before it reaches back to idle."

Injectors are going to be noisy at idle, not on decel.

well its definitely not the injectors.

When listening i could hear the injectors operating on idle, and when revved quickly, on decel u could here when they cut out 4 a split second and then come back on, but that is not the noise i am talking about

It comes from the cam covers for sure.

Like i said "noisy tappets" kinda noise

Just sounds strange as the 25 never did it