SAU Community

Clutch upgrades

[ABU53]

I'm not sure if this was just a one off 'freak' occurance or not but it is something for any of you who have aftermarket or heavy duty clutches to think about.

Quite a while ago I had an aftermarket heavy duty clutch installed. It worked fine for about 5 months then I began having troubles with it. At first I thought I had killed it already, then I thought perhaps it was either the master or slave cylinders......but it wasn't.

Turns out the whole clutch pedal assembly had torn itself away from the firewall slowly over time untill it became a limp dangling mess. The soloutin? have it removed and new brackets welded into place.

Maybe it was due to the age of the car (being a 1992 R32) and the fact that the actual pedal assembly not being designed with that extra weight in mind, either way, if you find you are having troubles with it this may be the problem.

Yeah a problem I am begining to hear about more often. But how heavy is your clutch to be shearing the metal mounting bracket? that is some serious pedal power right there. Had a seriously hard clutch in the silvia but came from japan like that could have had a custom frabricated bracket already in it, because I have felt other clutches that were not as hard as mine but the owners have had to replace brackets before. Maybe a switch to a twin plate clutch is the go? Have one in the skyline not too much pedal pressure and no chance of it slipping, hard to navigate speed bumps and people driveways though.

It is apperently a common problem with 32's, it happened to a mate of mine a couple months back, he has a tripple plate, very heavy. Anyway when the bracket was rewelded it was heavily reinforced to avoid it happening again. So maybe anybody with a heavy clutch mite want to consider reinforcing it to avoid having your pedal snap off while in heavy traffic or wherever.