SAU Community

Aftermarket Coil Help Needed!

Hey all, can anybody tell me a company that can provide me with new coils for my 1998 N/A r34, its one of the twin cam 2.5 liter ones...ive got the typical primary ignition fault 21 code and at least one of the factory coils are on their way out, would really like upgraded ones instead of the factory replacements...thanks!

Splitfire, Superspark or JustJap JJR.

I would highly recommend the Splitfires.

I haven't had experience with Superspark or JJR coilpacks, however, my tuner advised against them and to put my dollars into splitfires. Worth noting also that my tuner wasn't selling me the coilpacks either.

Check out the sponsors for pricing. The Japanese Yen isn't in our favour like it once was so expect to pay over $600 for a set.

I think I recall seeing a new coilpack on the market too, it's a yellow colour... once again I have no idea about these ones either.

I have half a set of OEM ~110,000km Coilpacks... 3 of them died in one night like dominoes mainly cause of the GReddy eDamage before I done the zener diode fix lol I just keep them as spares now.

The Splitfires are much stronger and are the most recommended coilpack for Skylines. R34's are known for coilpack failure once they reach a certain age, and are known to keep dying one by one after that. So do yourself a favour, do it once do it right, go the splitfires :D

If you really get stuck, R33 Series 2 coilpacks will work but the bolt holes don't line up, but if you can easily get hold of one they can be "made to fit" for a temporary fix till you can get hold of new ones... just ask my tuner :( Drove around like that for a while after the first coilpack fried, then thought meh I'll wait it out, and then lost the 3 in one night, car struggled to get onto the tilt-tray! Probably a god thing that I fixed the eDamage before getting splitfires though

thanks for the help , expensive little buggers arent they! would you be interrested in selling your OEM ones, miss r34? but sumhow i feel like im just putting a bandaid on a bigger problem by not replacing the factory ones! i found sum superspark ones for sale individually on trade me....does anyone know if it would be bad to run one or two new ones mixed with the factory ones?!

I have half a set of OEM ~110,000km Coilpacks... 3 of them died in one night like dominoes mainly cause of the GReddy eDamage before I done the zener diode fix lol I just keep them as spares now.

The Splitfires are much stronger and are the most recommended coilpack for Skylines. R34's are known for coilpack failure once they reach a certain age, and are known to keep dying one by one after that. So do yourself a favour, do it once do it right, go the splitfires :D

If you really get stuck, R33 Series 2 coilpacks will work but the bolt holes don't line up, but if you can easily get hold of one they can be "made to fit" for a temporary fix till you can get hold of new ones... just ask my tuner :( Drove around like that for a while after the first coilpack fried, then thought meh I'll wait it out, and then lost the 3 in one night, car struggled to get onto the tilt-tray! Probably a god thing that I fixed the eDamage before getting splitfires though

Yeah sweet, thanks for the advice, looks like my exhaust upgrade will have wait a bit longer now! might as well replace all 6 and be done with it

thanks for the help , expensive little buggers arent they! would you be interrested in selling your OEM ones, miss r34? but sumhow i feel like im just putting a bandaid on a bigger problem by not replacing the factory ones! i found sum superspark ones for sale individually on trade me....does anyone know if it would be bad to run one or two new ones mixed with the factory ones?!

pm sent.

pm sent.

hey thanks but ive been having a think about it and i think ill just upgrade the whole set to spitfire or super spark, ive been looking for ways to increase power anyways and might soon exceed the limits of the factory ones !

whatever you get, make sure you the seller/shop provides 12 months warranty.

cause each brand has had sets break down whether it be spltifire, superspark or jjr direct ignition ones.

depends where you buy from then nate.

eg: superspark doesn't provide it?

i know jjr direct ignition comes with 12 month warranty (which you cant beat for $399 + postage [on ebay for $399 with free delivery on special])

some local dealers of splitfire provide warranty also.