SAU Community

Think Im Gettin Constant Boost

hey guys

ive had really bad fuel milage (approx 280kms a tank)

anywho i was thinking it was the o2 sensor, but when driving home from work i watched the stock boost guage closely.

at normal cruising, it sits close to -6 but once a bit of throttle is put on (below 2.3-3000 revs) it moves up to 1/4 mark and somtimes 0.

am i getting constant boost? i know a turbo works on exhaust gases but i dont know much about the factory boost guage.

your only getting boost when the gauge starts going above 0 into the positive area, sounds normal to me.

try new plugs, fuel filter, clean out you throttle and AFM and swap your O2 sensor, should get you out of trouble

yeah it is, running stock boost too i think so 5psi or whatever it is.

just wanna know why i got such bad fuel consumption, i know skylines are a performance car but 280kms out of a full tank still?

and thats not floggin it every time either

^ exactly - the list is long.

The answers are plenty however - please do a search.

Its been covered pretty well as you could probably imagine... being fuel economy is a reasonably big problem for most people

sounds like the turbo is spooling up but, even when under the 0 in the negative side

yeah my car does the same thing, but its just the pod filter sucking air in, you can tell the difference between the induction and ur actual turbo spooling

alright so what would my first move be?

inside my exhaust at the rear of the car is quite black (as in rub your finger and its covered)

so should i replace the o2 sensors first off?

haha na yeah i havent, only had car 2ish weeks

heard the el falcon one fits, does it do same job as genuine?

dont wanna fork out more money for somthing that does the same job

Do all your regular maintenance as per the many threads covering this article, don't bother trying to work anything out until it's fully serviced then go from there.

An important thing to note is cold and hot starts as was mentioned above. All cars use more fuel when running cold so if you;re ot trips your fuel economy will suffer badly.

Get used to high fuel consumption. 280km is low for sure but your never going to get fantastic results. I went from a 3L v6 magna to the skyline and the magna despite being 500cc more drank SO much less fuel.

Also given that you have had the car for such a short period of time, is it possible that you have just been enjoying it quite a bit, ie giving it a bit more throttle than normal, going for short cruises around the block etc? When I first got mine the whole turbo thing was awesome fun but led to driving in a way that was very harmfull to the consumption.

as mentioned before ^^^

just give your car a decent service, change all the fluids, spark plugs, give the afm a decent clean....warm it up and then go for a nice drive....dont thrash it just drive it normally and let things smooth out.....you might notice a bit of a difference in consumption....