SAU Community

Extractors

got to the stage where im keen for a set of extractors. after reading the thread about the DKNEs, they seem to be alright, but are a fair bit more pricey as opposed to the cobys. not sure if theres any gain in spending the extra cash on the DKNEs. noticed also that the DKNEs dont have the harsh drop off that the cobys do. which is better for scavenging?

im willing to spend the money, just dont know which direction to go. anyone else who has installed extractors of either brand, or even another brand if there is any, let us know in this thread. looking to squeeze as much power out of my 25 as i can without going the turbo route again (been there, done that, very expensive)

im in the same position. Looking for exactors and ive herd alot of good things bout COBY

so im intestered in other's thoughs to

i got a set of cobys on my 33, didn't really notice much of a power gain but the response is a lot better than standard! + lighter as well, can't comment on DKNE since i've never had them but I do see them all over ebay lol.

PS. selling my coby extractors soon! going turbo

I have Coby extractors on my R32

They use oversized welds on the header plate and ya have to modify there welds by grinding them so that you can bolt them on properly ...

Too much stuffing about

DKNE ones are probably allot better and from the design I have seen also offer a bit better ground clearance as the Coby ones angle down at the front and ya tend to hit them on things gutters , driveways etc ...

I've got DKNE extractors that are HPC coated. I thought if I'm spending the money anyway might aswell spend a few more hundred on the HPC coating to stop rust and keep the heat despenced to a minimum. I've only had them a short time so I don't know about any problems I may encounter if any, although the guys at DKNE are really good service, arrived 2 days after payment with no hassles or anything. Extremely happy with them in general.

i went the coby route and yes the shop had to grind the welds down, so now i have to 'touch-up' my HPC coating, lucky for me i saved alot of $$$ and painted my extractors with flat black heat proof wood stove paint!! but the extractors look gr8 and give good power thru a broad range

well im in talks with the guys at partsco now. gonna cost around $700 NZD (around 500~ AUD) for the headers + HPC coating. so not too bad. and coby have been made aware of having to grind the welds down so hopefully they have been remanufactured...gonna start investigating with DKNE tho

I'm with DKNE as well. Haven't got them on the car at the moment because im waiting for a Kakimoto catback aswell, but i had them looked at by 2 mechanics because they thought $800 was really cheap for NA extractors and they were shocked. They said the quality is the same as the 1500 ones.

I was in the extractor market for N/A's a while ago and we had some difficulty in organsing a group buy for Coby's. Whilst you guys have mentioned you are interested in getting the DKNE's, the price difference is substantial. I havn't heard anything about the DKNE ones, they could be fantastic, but they are very expensive including the HPC relative to Coby's via a group buy. Maybe a possibility for those currently in the market for some? DKNE has the big advantage that it's local.

yeah, there was a failed group buy for cobys just recently, i know theres been a DKNE one tho. all reports iv heard say that the DKNE ones are as good if not better constructed than the cobys...its a tough decision :P

My personal experience with the COBY's has been horrid

They leak at the header late

due to oversize welds that stop ya bolting them on properly

They also increase exhaust noise by 7 decibels

my exhaust was 91 just over legal and very borderline and they pushed it up to 98 db which is way over the limit and I got defected for it too

Edited by hr32gts

Quick question about extractors.

Are they difficult to install? I've just purchased some and am looking to get a full mandrel bent system right back to the muffler.

Should I go to your basic fastfit mechanic, or should I hunt down a more reputable one to handle it?

Cheers.

all its a matter of doing is unbolting your old headers and bolting the extractors on in their place. should just bolt straight onto the existing cat...im not sure if supras are any different to skylines but yeah.

as long as youv got some muscles and a bit of time on your hands you could do it yourself, provided of course you had a pit/hoist. and be careful to not snap any studs of in the head :laugh:

Simple to install if youre confident with it!!

I think I'll let the shop do it. The hard part is welding all the mandrel bent pieces, the high flow cat, varex muffler and extractors.

If it was one big piece, or were connected via flanges I might consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

my HPC coby's that i got from the first GB on this site have been ok at best for the 10-11 months they've been on the car.

I've just got the car back from having a shocking exhaust leak. The header plate on my extractors warped pretty bad and after grinding it down so it's flat all the way along is now only 8mm thick.

I'm not sure if i'm gonna stick with them for much longer as it's 50/50 if they warp again. Also I'll be moving to Townsville for work next year so a hotter climate probably won't help things.

Mine also had the oversized welds problem on first install also.