SAU Community

Hakuba Or Niseko For Boarding...

bryno

hey

anyone know of cheap flights from tokyo to sapporo? Cant see to find anything under 600

Yeah can't seem to find any flights with Jetstar to Sapporo out of Tokyo or Osaka.

Check Jestar web page to do bookings.

Narita to Sapporo and Kansai to Sapporo

Cheap tickets will start again in September onwards.

July /August are peak times for domestic travel in Japan.

You can also try Skymark Airways : http://www.skymark.co.jp/en/%C2'> They only book 2 months in advance as do Jetstar but Skymark have crazy sales from 9am and you can get tickets for 1,000yen but only on sparrow fart early flights.

Also, how is Niseko for boarding? I have a Burton twin which apparently isn't very good for powder. Should I just hire a board?

The Twin will be ok depending on it's size. Yo really need to step up a few cm's in length than what you would ride in Oz.

If you can be bothered take your board, spend some time on the main course areas getting to know the mountain and hen head off piste into the powder and see how you go. You can always hire powder boards no problem.

Make sure you set your bindings as far back and when you hit deep powder lay way back on your back leg.

After 5 months of riding powder each year my back leg calf and thigh muscles are bigger than my front leg.

Also, any good hostels you could recommend?

Japanese or Western style ??

Also, how is Niseko for boarding? I have a Burton twin which apparently isn't very good for powder. Should I just hire a board?

The Twin will be ok depending on it's size. Yo really need to step up a few cm's in length than what you would ride in Oz.

If you can be bothered take your board, spend some time on the main course areas getting to know the mountain and hen head off piste into the powder and see how you go. You can always hire powder boards no problem.

Make sure you set your bindings as far back and when you hit deep powder lay way back on your back leg.

After 5 months of riding powder each year my back leg calf and thigh muscles are bigger than my front leg.

I've never really done off piste boarding, so I don't think doing it by myself for the first time in Japan is a good idea. So if its just groomed runs I guess i don't really need to worry about deep powder?

As far as the hostels go, just something that is in a good spot and has a bit of a social scene as I'll be by myself.

http://nisekodiscoveryholidays.com/downtown-lodge

Ok this place is right in the thick of it in Hirafu (Niseko) with easy walking access to lifts and you've got bars, restaurants and convenience stores.

It's owned by a mate of mine and they have specials on at the moment. I think you might have to share a room but rates used to be pretty cheap and like I said real convenient for access to everything including the bus to Kutchan for big supply runs.

You can either catch bus from the Airport at Chitose (Sapporo) direct to Niseko Hirafu and pay them and the y will pick you up and drop you back at the airport.

The accomo is pretty simple but everything you need and has internet, tv etc and decent common room where you can drink and rave about the lines you pulled on the mountain. The good thing here is you'll meet heaps of people and probably end up hooking up with a few crew and ride together.

Flick them an email and get a price and do it early as now is when specials are on.

Ok with the off piste.. it's not backcountry riding but just means off the groomers. There's plenty of beginner to moderate areas that are easily accessed and heaps of powder.

Golden rule of Japan powder is don't stop on the flats or you will be wading through chest deep powder and it ain't fun and hell of a lot of work.

If your out on your own just get around the mountain, ride all the lifts and get to know it then explore the powder as plenty of it.

I can sort you a map to good stashes that don't get tracked out straight away and also keep in mind Niseko has night boarding and if it's dumping (which it does quite consistently) night boarding can be way better than riding during the day. Get yourself a set of clear lens or slightly yellow for night riding as normal day lens will be pain in the backside. You can switch lenses easily enough but I usually have 2 -3 sets of goggles set up with lenses for different conditions. Biggest bonus of night riding is the lack of crowds and since Niseko got popular mid 2000's it has got extremely crowded over peak periods.

One thing if you like a drink or two, buy a stash of your own beers and always have a few pre dinner or going out drinks to save you a bit of coin. Long neck Sapporo Drafts are the go !! A few bars have happy hours and some Japanese Izakaya's have nomi/tabihodai which is all you can eat and drink for say 1hr for around $25.

Lot's of parties going on in bars and clubs all winter but do yourself a favour and try getting to a few where local Japanese hang out as nothing worse than going o/seas and hanging out with aussies the whole trip.

Anything else you want to know just fire away.

Check Jestar web page to do bookings.

Narita to Sapporo and Kansai to Sapporo

Cheap tickets will start again in September onwards.

July /August are peak times for domestic travel in Japan.

You can also try Skymark Airways : They only book 2 months in advance as do Jetstar but Skymark have crazy sales from 9am and you can get tickets for 1,000yen but only on sparrow fart early flights.

thanks for the info, so you reakon jetstar will release flight closer to the dates? at the moment there no flights by jetstar at all

Yes definitely.

You can generally book Japan domestic flights 2 months before you want to fly.

You can fly Narita - Sapporo return and Kansai - Sapporo return for around 10,000yen.(5,000yen each way)

Sometimes cheaper if they have a sale.

• 1 month later...