SAU Community

R34 Gt-t To Gt-r Conversion (guards)

Hey guys, Im wondering if anyone has changed r34 GT-T To GT-R Rear Guards( quater panel)? and if anyone could help me out?

Firstly how do you change them when that bit ( check picture bellow) is connect To the roof? Do you have to cut it or something?

Also Where can i find a pair of GTR Guards for sale?

Thanks

post-62843-1248584821_thumb.jpg

thats add-on part

go vivagarage to have a look

you may need gtr rear bumper and gtr side skirt...

okay so all i need is that add-on part to make it flare out like the GTR? Also i know bout the rear bumper and sideskirts nd the tail-lights aswell.

Thanks

EDIT: I couldnt find it on vivagarage, do you have a link?

Edited by NicKzKe

If you do the rear fenders then you will need the rear bumper, and also the side skirting and GTR tailight covers as they are wider at the bottom. When the side skirting is done then you will need the front fenders and also the fender runners, then you will need the GTR front bumper as it is wider to allow for the wider front fenders and then you will need the GTR bonnet to use the GTR front bumper. You will also need GTR bonnet hinges, GTR bumper support bar and bonnet locking mechanism. In other words you need and entire GTR conversion to do it right, unless you get GTT-R conversion fenders that just give the back a wider stance without affecting the side skirts and rear tailight covers.

• 2 weeks later...

proper way:

buy rear gtr quarters from nissan or someone wrecking one - its a cut and weld job... meaning cutting out your ones and welding in new ones.

tail lights - swap over

rear bar - swap over

side skirts - swap over but also need front guards to fit properly

boot lid i think is fine but not 100% sure

cheap way:

buy fiberglass quarters, rivet and bog them in

if you do it the right way, the finish will be great and will definitely last you longer than the cheap way as fiberglass quarters are notorious for cracking due to body flex which means you will be repairing them forever.

Listen to old mate above me. Its not an easy job by any means (to do properly) Shit I reckon you could be looking at upto 8-10 grand to do properly (IE by a good bodywork bloke) If it was me Id just get the east bear GTR conversion kit.

proper way:

buy rear gtr quarters from nissan or someone wrecking one - its a cut and weld job... meaning cutting out your ones and welding in new ones.

tail lights - swap over

rear bar - swap over

side skirts - swap over but also need front guards to fit properly

boot lid i think is fine but not 100% sure

cheap way:

buy fiberglass quarters, rivet and bog them in

if you do it the right way, the finish will be great and will definitely last you longer than the cheap way as fiberglass quarters are notorious for cracking due to body flex which means you will be repairing them forever.

Don't know who you should listen to since they are partially correct. The job is big, alot of time and alot of effort put in for something that looks so simple to do. It's probably best to have a good think what you want the car for in the long run, since the process can be very expensive. Theres no real shortcuts around it accept for one:

I recommend you look into doing some custom work for side skirts etc, otherwise you will need GT-R skirts and fenders all round. You can get away with GT-R fronts and sides and be able to still use the GT-R rear fenders. Instead of replacing the tailight, you could just FRP prep and paint your current tailights, its probably gonna be alot cheaper to do (unless you get em from a wrecker, and good luck sourcing 34 GTR's floating around, not to mention if you did find one just cut the guards and rip what else if off it while your there).

Your best bet is either leaving the car as is if this is just on a whim and you want the "look", but if your after bigger wheel wells for larger wheels and keeping the car in the long run (eg. for shows and w/e car etc) Then it might be worth doing.

I for one was satisfied 20 thousand dollars later ... :down: (Yes i could have had a monster 34 GTR by now) i could have built my engine even!!! It is not for the feint of heart. I still need to purchase massive offset rims since my current 18"s in the picture are dwarfed by the guards even with 25mm spacers!

If you go ahead with the job, GOODLUCK!

Ps. As you can see i added some photos of my 34 (started life as a plain standard white 25GT) I have done the front conversion and the rear...didn't need half the things the guys on here are saying to do, but it still is big money and alot of time regardless.

post-44107-1250461947_thumb.jpg

post-44107-1250461958_thumb.jpg

post-44107-1250461969_thumb.jpg

Don't know who you should listen to since they are partially correct. The job is big, alot of time and alot of effort put in for something that looks so simple to do. It's probably best to have a good think what you want the car for in the long run, since the process can be very expensive. Theres no real shortcuts around it accept for one:

I recommend you look into doing some custom work for side skirts etc, otherwise you will need GT-R skirts and fenders all round. You can get away with GT-R fronts and sides and be able to still use the GT-R rear fenders. Instead of replacing the tailight, you could just FRP prep and paint your current tailights, its probably gonna be alot cheaper to do (unless you get em from a wrecker, and good luck sourcing 34 GTR's floating around, not to mention if you did find one just cut the guards and rip what else if off it while your there).

Your best bet is either leaving the car as is if this is just on a whim and you want the "look", but if your after bigger wheel wells for larger wheels and keeping the car in the long run (eg. for shows and w/e car etc) Then it might be worth doing.

I for one was satisfied 20 thousand dollars later ... :) (Yes i could have had a monster 34 GTR by now) i could have built my engine even!!! It is not for the feint of heart. I still need to purchase massive offset rims since my current 18"s in the picture are dwarfed by the guards even with 25mm spacers!

Ps. As you can see i added some photos of my 34 (started life as a plain standard white 25GT) I have done the front conversion and the rear...didn't need half the things the guys on here are saying to do, but it still is big money and alot of time regardless.

Awsome car man, and great info thank you, but ive decided to just go for the Eastbear kit for the GT-T with a GT-R look at front.

Might think of a GTR wen i go full licence, but yeah

Thanks mate. Love your Number plates also =]

Awsome car man, and great info thank you, but ive decided to just go for the Eastbear kit for the GT-T with a GT-R look at front.

Might think of a GTR wen i go full licence, but yeah

Thanks mate. Love your Number plates also =]

No problem, anytime...

That would be your best bet, the money wasted on fabricating parts and going through the process mentioned is only worth it if you truely want to have something different.

The money you save now would be better spent on a quality GT-R. As for the Eastbear idea, they look good but if your going to go half half, i'd suggest going something cheaper (as Eastbear can be a pocket drainer too) A copy Impul kit all round with a good set of rims and offset would set a 34 off quite nicely and still look very menacing with decent ride height. You could even get your front fenders pumped to make it look more like a GT-R and even add a front lip to give it a lower stance.

I just thought i'd mention that idea since you could probably pick up the whole kit and paint it and possibly have money to spare on some nice rims compared to the money you'd spend on JUST the front end of the East-Bear kit.

It's up to your taste at the end and i think both would look extremely nice. Make sure you post pictures when you are done with it all!

Heres some pics of the kit (One is of a SAU member Cara back in the day before she transformed her 34) the other is a front bar shot and one has the front bar without side skirts, so it can show you how it sets the front off.

post-44107-1250533078_thumb.jpg

post-44107-1250533091_thumb.jpg

post-44107-1250533106_thumb.jpg

No problem, anytime...

That would be your best bet, the money wasted on fabricating parts and going through the process mentioned is only worth it if you truely want to have something different.

The money you save now would be better spent on a quality GT-R. As for the Eastbear idea, they look good but if your going to go half half, i'd suggest going something cheaper (as Eastbear can be a pocket drainer too) A copy Impul kit all round with a good set of rims and offset would set a 34 off quite nicely and still look very menacing with decent ride height. You could even get your front fenders pumped to make it look more like a GT-R and even add a front lip to give it a lower stance.

I just thought i'd mention that idea since you could probably pick up the whole kit and paint it and possibly have money to spare on some nice rims compared to the money you'd spend on JUST the front end of the East-Bear kit.

It's up to your taste at the end and i think both would look extremely nice. Make sure you post pictures when you are done with it all!

Heres some pics of the kit (One is of a SAU member Cara back in the day before she transformed her 34) the other is a front bar shot and one has the front bar without side skirts, so it can show you how it sets the front off.

The kit im getting is made for a GT, doesnt fit on a gtr. The front end is the GTR bonnet and front bar as for the back and side its jst normal i think.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/East-Bear-...uct-Zenki-51706

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/East-Bear-Side...-T-2-Door-53404

img etting gtr oem fenders, found 1, just need the rhs.

side skirts will have to be custom tho so getting GTT impul skirts and custom the front section so it lines up with the gtr fender.

NOTE: if you dont or not planning to get the wheels to fit the widebody then please dont do it.

you're just gonna ruin a nice 34.

• 9 months later...

I for one was satisfied 20 thousand dollars later ... :thumbsup: (Yes i could have had a monster 34 GTR by now) i could have built my engine even!!! It is not for the feint of heart. I still need to purchase massive offset rims since my current 18"s in the picture are dwarfed by the guards even with 25mm spacers!

Your skyline is awsome man, seriously it would have to be one of the nicest r34's ive seen...just wondering how much did it cost you to get it looking that sweet.

plus if you would have any clue how someone would go about replicating the look of the apm factory r34 4door gtr conversion and the costs that might be involved

i have attached pics of the car below

post-74264-1276228098_thumb.jpg

post-74264-1276228135_thumb.jpg

post-74264-1276228208_thumb.jpg