SAU Community

Bell Mouthed Insert On 3037s Turbos

Hi all , I've spent too much time searching for details or pics of the machined aluminium bell mouthed insert piece HKS use in the port shrouded Garrett compressor housing on 3037"S" turbos .

We pretty much know they use the same 0.60 A/R T04E compressor housing on GT3076R's and 3037S turbos and you can see the locating step in the middle of a 3076Rs comp cover , also the outer part of the inlet has three holes for I assume roll pins or whatever to locate and retain this insert .

I'm sure I went into this a couple of years back here but I'm damned if I can find the info or pics .

At the time someone was selling a copy of the insert on E Bay and I should have bagged snaps but can't find them if I did .

As some of you would know I have a GT3076R/3037 52T turbo and ported housing on the way and I wouldn't mind having an insert like HKS's one to smooth out the incoming air and minimise the sonic shriek usually associated with port shrouded compressor housings .

Stealth is bliss , cheers Adrian .

Yes thanks for the reminder , I vaguely remember seeing pics of some in the States done like that .

Was this a mod you did after using the turbo ? I'm curious to know the with and without differences on the "sound effects" .

I suppose HKS had Garrett make these port shrouded T04E compressor housings ready to take the insert as HKS got them .

I'd prefer to have something removable so the insert could be transferred from housing to housing - saves making new ones if the housing had to be replaced .

Does anyone have a 3037S that could have a look at the roll pins or whatever they are that pins the insert into the outer section of the shrouds boss ?

It's all guinea pig work with this turbo and I hope the detail stuff can be worked out so that others have answers down the track .

Cheers Adrian .

Yes thanks for the reminder , I vaguely remember seeing pics of some in the States done like that .

Was this a mod you did after using the turbo ? I'm curious to know the with and without differences on the "sound effects" .

I suppose HKS had Garrett make these port shrouded T04E compressor housings ready to take the insert as HKS got them .

I'd prefer to have something removable so the insert could be transferred from housing to housing - saves making new ones if the housing had to be replaced .

Does anyone have a 3037S that could have a look at the roll pins or whatever they are that pins the insert into the outer section of the shrouds boss ?

It's all guinea pig work with this turbo and I hope the detail stuff can be worked out so that others have answers down the track .

Cheers Adrian .

I haven't fitted the turbo yet so I can't comment on the sound effects. For some reason I always though the noise came from the surge slot so I wouldn't have throught the bellmouth would have made much difference - no basis for this though.

If my bellmouth had to be removed for any reason I was just going to grind those 4 spot welds and re-weld - not necessary to have another remade. I got the idea from Geoff Raicer.

The HKS version must use grub screws or similar as those three holes are threaded.

Edited by juggernaut1

Was that a thread of Geoff's or twin scroll some such at Freshalloy.com ?

Well if those holes are threaded HKS isn't using roll pins - must be some sort of extended tip grub screw . What sort of head do these have ie phillips/torx/allen socket ?

Obviously the hose clamped over the boss stops them doing roundies and hitting the fan if they come lose .

Thanks all , cheers A .