SAU Community

Ignition Timing

IanB

Hey fellas

Looked high and low for a topic on using a timing light on a skyline, and I cant find one, so I have started this one. (Knowing my luck someone will find one and link it here :))

I have hooked the timing light up to the loop coming out of the rear of the loom and then back into it AND on the thick white wire going into coil 1 and they both have the same result of my cars timing being far to the right (passanger side) of the white notches on the harmonic balancer (see pictures)

The only problem is, if I clip the timing lights sensor onto another part of the loom, it changes position.

So where do I clip it to? Im pretty sure I'm right, but I'd like to be certain.

Regards

Ian

post-28458-1251179962_thumb.jpg

post-28458-1251179988_thumb.jpg

Use the loop on the ignitor module (rh one of your pics).

Be aware - some timing lights give a value twice the real value. The most accurate way is to insert a spark plug lead between coil #1 and sparkplug #1, then check timing the old-school way.

Regular occurrance with quite a few timing lights.. just get and old lead and put it between no1 coil and plug, only way I could get a consistant reading with trying a few lights. Other people swear by using the normal loop at the back of the motor but holding the clip open..