SAU Community

240k Found In Need Of Opinions

skizzamods

How good a replica? I'd have paid more than 15k for a proper, coupe lookalike. The above one is a sedan. Would take many, many weeks of cutting and wealding by someone who had been doing such work for decades to turn it into a coupe (the thinner the metal, the more delicate the design, the harder it is to sculpt). Most Aussie 240Ks out there are late 70s, the Japense Skylines that look the best (opinion) are the early 70s ones. I have no experience in making a copy but apart from the number of doors, there looks like there'd be enough differences to make the cloning a big, big job (not like just bolting GTR bodywork to a GTT). There aren't bolt on kits for these things, all has to be custom made (preferably and out of metal for a proper result). If you wanted to make a GTR replica this is the wrong car to start it with. There's just no way of getting a good, desirable classic car cheaply except from the old widow down the road who's had it sitting in her garage under sheets for 20 years.

The hot rod was just an example. 1935-1940 rods are the cheapest Ford to build 'cause the 35-40 Ford is the cheapest thing to buy. Very hard to find a finished one with no real bodywork sculpting, a shit engine, a nice paint job etc. under $40k (an all there, rust free paddock car could be aquired for around 4k). Was just aiming at the point that if you did a lot of work on a car that someone will pay a lot for when it's finished, you'll have a lot more spending power to buy something you really want. As I said, the best of the best just don't come cheap.

As for my car, yes I drive a 'vette; quite heavily modified. New to the modern Japanese thing but I've liked the old stuff for a little while. I'm looking to get something Jap for daily transport (Corvette has a crash cage in front of the boot). I think I'll probably get an S15, I like light weight and rearwheel drive (like the Corvette). And you're right, I don't know all that much about them, that's why I'm here; to learn. What I do know though, is about restoring old cars (American and Japanese cars were both made out of metal or fibreglass at one point). And from experience, if you're going to restore something like that, it's gonna either take years or a lot of $$$. I'm suggesting that one should seek an old Fairlady Sports, 240Z or Japanese, 2dr Skyline to restore if you're going to commit to such a big job.

FIY there's an early Skyline (think a '74) hatch/coupe for sale in America, immaculately restored for US$45k. I'd say that price will be reflecting what the owner spent on restoring it.

I prefer the pre-1972 body shape. Anyone know of any in Australia? I'd be very interested if a driving one could be had for somewhere in the 0-30k region.

How good a replica? I'd have paid more than 15k for a proper, coupe lookalike. The above one is a sedan. Would take many, many weeks of cutting and wealding by someone who had been doing such work for decades to turn it into a coupe (the thinner the metal, the more delicate the design, the harder it is to sculpt). Most Aussie 240Ks out there are late 70s, the Japense Skylines that look the best (opinion) are the early 70s ones. I have no experience in making a copy but apart from the number of doors, there looks like there'd be enough differences to make the cloning a big, big job (not like just bolting GTR bodywork to a GTT). There aren't bolt on kits for these things, all has to be custom made (preferably and out of metal for a proper result). If you wanted to make a GTR replica this is the wrong car to start it with. There's just no way of getting a good, desirable classic car cheaply except from the old widow down the road who's had it sitting in her garage under sheets for 20 years.

The hot rod was just an example. 1935-1940 rods are the cheapest Ford to build 'cause the 35-40 Ford is the cheapest thing to buy. Very hard to find a finished one with no real bodywork sculpting, a shit engine, a nice paint job etc. under $40k (an all there, rust free paddock car could be aquired for around 4k). Was just aiming at the point that if you did a lot of work on a car that someone will pay a lot for when it's finished, you'll have a lot more spending power to buy something you really want. As I said, the best of the best just don't come cheap.

As for my car, yes I drive a 'vette; quite heavily modified. New to the modern Japanese thing but I've liked the old stuff for a little while. I'm looking to get something Jap for daily transport (Corvette has a crash cage in front of the boot). I think I'll probably get an S15, I like light weight and rearwheel drive (like the Corvette). And you're right, I don't know all that much about them, that's why I'm here; to learn. What I do know though, is about restoring old cars (American and Japanese cars were both made out of metal or fibreglass at one point). And from experience, if you're going to restore something like that, it's gonna either take years or a lot of $$$. I'm suggesting that one should seek an old Fairlady Sports, 240Z or Japanese, 2dr Skyline to restore if you're going to commit to such a big job.

FIY there's an early Skyline (think a '74) hatch/coupe for sale in America, immaculately restored for US$45k. I'd say that price will be reflecting what the owner spent on restoring it.

I prefer the pre-1972 body shape. Anyone know of any in Australia? I'd be very interested if a driving one could be had for somewhere in the 0-30k region.

JFYI, the GTR lookalike that went to Dubai was a coupe and a great looking car, except for the engine as it still had the L24 carby motor. The owner had spent quite a number of maticulous hours on his toy, but he was moving interstate and it had to go.

Have you ever stopped to consider that the guys looking for these 240K's, might want a sedan, or are prepared to take a sedan as coupes are so thin on the ground.

I found this on an Japanese auction the other night and have put a bid on it. Maybe it's more to your likeing.

As for no body kits available, that's a crock of shit, if you know where to look and have the money to get them, they are readily available.

D

post-2962-1253101062_thumb.jpg

^^ fark D if you get it then you'd officially be the envy of the forum lol.

SS,

I found this as well and it was a very hard decision which way I bent, as I really like this as well.

The C110 has only 95k on the dial & the C210/211 has 125k, but both are really nice.

Cheers, D

post-2962-1253141438_thumb.jpg

That C110 coupe is awsome. The way they maintain their cars in Japan I'd say the milage is probably not such a big deal but as you're not there to look at it, it's a good indication. I'd personally rather write a check for the white one but both look awsome. Should be a great investment too, best of luck with the auction.

I'm still looking for a good C10 coupe. Think I might go over and find one in person.

With a replica, I don't think an engine swap is so bad. Perhaps a turbo with a noisey BOV would spoil the effect. If I get a C10 I may think about pumping it up a little. (I won't be getting anything that's properly rare, I would never do anything unoriginal to a real GTR).

Just my final opinion on the subject of the thread. In my opinion, either buy one that's already restored or if you can't afford one, spend about a 1/4 the time you will restoring it at work and you'll have enough cash for one someone's already done. If you just want to restore it for something to do then that's a bit different. Just don't think it'll be an easy job. We all know someone who's got something in their garage they're 'restoring' and haven't touched for a couple of years...

'Scoop:' there's a 240k sedan sitting in a driveway in Were Street in Brighton, Melbourne. The body looks like it has some surface rust but it all looks more or less pretty straight. It's been sitting for all the time I've known about it and the grass is quite overgrown around it. Can't see the front but for a little crack and it looks like the front is still there and it's not riding high (so the engine is probably still there too). Still probably a big job to even get it driving but it looks a little better than the one above.

Dennis: how did you go with that auction?

Rolo: check out Japanese Nostalgic Car magazine, they a restoring what was supposed to be a mint C10 coupe shipped over from Japan.

I'm often surprised that the Japanese restore the parts of the car that you can see from the kerb, and leave the engine bay and interior looking like a dog's breakfast.

This is the car guys, but it's not legit, but a FAUX version and as Lachlan only got $14500.00 for his, I'm not interested in a similar deal for $40,000.00, landed & complied & rego etc.

url=http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h134137044&thumb=http://f7.auctions.c.yimg.jp/img229.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/8/4/7/1/kk_r_freaks-thumb-125327062089181.jpg&title=L28%203L%2044

I'll wait my turn and get something genuine like I have already.

Cheers, D