SAU Community

Rb26 Engine Covers Repainted

Shinrai

matte black for sure

i dont like the colour coded lip on GTR's or the gloss finish

plus the matte black suits ur rims, looks so much tuffer in matte black...stealth looking :)

I was thinking the same thing. I overlooked checking if the paint was gloss or matte before I bought it...

I also agree on the colour coded lip... If I do repaint it and happen to put a little scratch on it in the future, if it was white it would show any (even minor) scratches a lot more. Because of this, I will be sticking with black.

Shit yeah that looks great!

I have been thinking about the same thing, getting my cam and engine cover painted R34 GTR red.

I was thinking about just interchanging to R34 GTR cam and engine covers...

Can that be done?

Is it a straight fit?

+ I like the NISMO Oil Cap, makes the engine look a lot nicer then just black everywhere.

Yep straight fit, all RB engine covers are the same fit. Only difference is the RB25 and RB26 backing plate for the front timing belt cover.

Edited by PM-R33

I had my wing painted gloss black and my front lip matte black. I think it looks pretty good. So i would be doing matte black. Will almost be the same as the original colour.

I decided to go with some satin paint as that a very slight sheen, which I am hoping is quite close to the original look. I wouldn't mind if it ends up being slightly glossier than the original.

• 1 month later...
By the way, my next job scheduled is to repaint the lower lip (black plastic) on the front bar to get rid of the scrape scratches. I added a couple when I first bought it. I'm confident now that I have a guage on how low the front is to avoid further scratches.

I have plastic primer and black paint ready to go... Just waiting for my next couple days off.

It's been a while since I posted here but I thought I would finally report back with my finished pics. I think the lower lip turned out quite well (considering I did it myself). By the way, I am referring the lower black section that is attached to the front bumper, not the whole front bumper (I am sure most of you knew this but I just wanted to be clear). First I will post a pic of before the painting that shows the scratches. They actually were more noticable in person (well at least to my overly pedantic nature :) )

Here is the pic before I painted the lower lip. There were quite a few scratches underneath and to the front. There were also a few on the sides. :(

Before...

LowerLipBeforePaint.jpg

Now, here are the pics after my paint work. It's all nice and shiny now! It actually turned with more gloss than I expected for satin paint but I am very happy with the result. :D

After...

GT-RPaintedLip01.jpg

GT-RPaintedLip02.jpg

Edited by Shinrai

Dahm, those pics make me want to go ahead and paint my front lip black, have been thinking of doing it for ages, what sort of paint did you use mate?

Looks very nice :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, I just used an aerosol can. It is Plasti-kote Satin Super (purchased from Bunnings).

I just took my time with it and prepared it with primer. I then tried to remember what I learnt when I was 16 years old when I did a short automotive painting course. I waited for a perfect day (sunny and no wind). I kept a steady distance and painted from left to right covering the whole bar before releasing the spray. I remember this was one of the key points to obtaining an even coat. Unlike, the natural instinct to use short bursts of spray that can leave an uneven look to the finish.

At first, I was worried about using an aerosol can and was considering getting a professional 2 pack job done, but I didn't think the cost would be worth it, especially if it scratches again. I then figured, I will have a go at it myself and if I screw it up, I could always then take it to a paint shop. Looks like I don't need to. :)

Although, I am sure that I couldn't have done the engine myself (as seen on previous page). I am very happy with the candy red colour.

I think the next thing on the cards is a bigger power upgrade!

Cool, thanks for the pics N1GTR. I am not too much a fan of chrome wheels anymore either.

I liked them about 5 years ago when they were in but now they seem a little dated. I prefer the stealth look. I don't mind the wheels on my car too much (they came with the car when I bought it) as they only have chrome on the outer dish section and the spokes are all black (as can be seen in the photo), but I may end up changing them later on.

I am sure the R34 GTR wheels look hot on your car. ;)

Edited by Shinrai