SAU Community

Mercedes Clk230 Kompressor

syfon

The traction control problem was with my mums C240, and Diesel Motors did fix the problem properly without any difficulties. Servicing wise (oil, filter, plugs), i would do it myself as i know its not difficult at all on those cars.

When it comes to mechanics, i would ALWAYS use my mechanic to do any work on my car as i have known him for a long time and i know he wouldnt screw me around. Unless it was a serious problem, i wouldnt bother sending it to Westpoint Star or Diesel Motors.

Thanks everyone for all your input/advice/etc, much appreciated. Keep it coming!

Yeah if your going to do the work yourself then by all means cause then you know it is done right :)

i would say if it is a serious problem still dont take it there and work it out yourself - i am sure you know more then a 15 year old apprentice :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lemme guess ur mum wont buy any car unless its a merc?? mine is like that lol

So you're asian then? :)

Why not just save a little bit longer and get a s2000 if you really want a hairdressers car ;p

Good car, excellent engine even if the V-TEC is not your thing. Yep it does have that whole 'MX-5 hairdressery thing' going on I agree unfortunately. Not really a 'tough' street car by any measure. I'd rather drive an S14/15 even. :)

Dad's had quite a few mercs, admittedly all of the older generation.

1. 1994 E280

2. 1992ish 300E 24

3. 1989 300CE

4. 1989 560SEL

Mum's had a 1997 C280.

All were/are great except number 2. Engine fked itself after a week of owning it. The only one that didn't have service history was number 2. My dad's mechanic used to own Swiss Autos in Mosman Park, he sold it and just works from home now.. Personally I wouldn't go there anymore but they may still be good for advice. As with Onthehunt, I'd do a thorough check on everything as Merc's arent cheap like skylines (if they're cheap!) to fix...

Would highly reccommend Star Shop in Osborne Park.

Edit: They also have the computer diagnostic system.

Edited by Ten Four

I do understand that you can take any Merc to either Westpoint Star or Diesel Motors and get them to plug in their laptops and it will bring up any faults recorded by the cars computer system, so i could always do that to find any potentiial faults.

Haha Greek? Me too :)

Guys here are some more photos of the CLK for sale at the Osborne Park dealership. I honestly reckon it looks soo clean and neat and tidy!

What's your thoughts/opinions?

post-42973-1253170276_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170289_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170296_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170304_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170311_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170369_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170377_thumb.jpg

post-42973-1253170386_thumb.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the E46 Coupes or Sedans. However, if one came along at the right price etc then i would seriously consider buying it.

IMO the CLK's have more of that "VIP" look....

The CLK's only came with the 5-speed automatic, manual was not an option.

The CLK for sale on carsales for $19,500 looks nice from the outside, however i did have a look at that car on Sunday, and not to be rude to the owner, but the car was very very rough. Needed a lot of money spent + the traction control sensor + fuel gauge was not working.

The 325Ci for sale in the above link; my brother called the guy to go and buy it and the owner said he took it off the market to sell it to his brother.

Lol, if you've already seen this one then I'll begone...

link

Probably at the higher end of your budget and its unlicensed for some reason - finance repo? interstate? Cars here go for trade in prices. We've bought 3 cars through these guys. If you're going for the fashion designer/hairdresser, you may as well go the full monty. Convertible ftw :)

Edited by Ten Four

hey mate what exactly do you want to know?

my dad had a 2005 CLK he purchased new, and had it for <24 months... aside from the 60-odd % depreciation, i think the only issue he had with it was one of his keys died..

the best thing about that car was that the seatbelt was sorta 'handed' to you by this extender arm thing that automatically popped forward and then retracted

having said that, a couple of his previous ones have had issues whilst under warranty.. i recall his old E class (2 generations old now) needed an entire diff centre replaced.. and they sent the f**ker from germany! imagine the cost of that if it wasn't under warranty

also keep in mind small stuff can break as well.. he's also had an outside temperature sensor (that little black thing on the dash) which was reading a few degrees out.. for a car like a commodore it's probably only $20 but i bet from westpoint star spare parts it'd be $320

Edited by ohno1

Agreed with Bubba, must have deep pockets if your planning onto buying these cars as if something small breaks, its a big pay out, service is alright as its about 1k a year or whenever it shows on the dash.

Looking at a Japanese car, you'd be getting that service about once every 3months? or less depending how much you drive so thats like $200 x 4 services a year = $800 a year..so not really much different for service.

Just parts are hefty. example:

when I had the Alfa Romeo, costed me 3k for a stock clutch, while with a the skyline it woulda costed me just under 1k for a upgraded heavy duty clutch

Good luck with the purchase anyway.

Edited by viet_boi