SAU Community

October 2009 Photo Thread

siddr20

ooh that 3rd one is my fav Sam

ps. are those gangsters in the 1st shot (coming to get you)? :rofl:

haha it was a bunch of 60+ year olds, don't think they'd be too scary :D

I think some of them were churchies too, I overheard a pair of them discussing what they do for their local church and the associated function groups, etc. Oh well, at least they had the open minds to accept and show respect to some of the awesome graffiti we saw. They were there before we got there, and were leaving at the same time we were, and seemed quite enthralled by the work there. :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, as I mentioned previously, my photos of the graffiti won't be anywhere near as good as Sl!m's, but here they are anyway...

IMG_4347v2.jpg

IMG_4351v2.jpg

IMG_4389v2.jpg

IMG_4391v2.jpg

IMG_4352v2.jpg

IMG_4354v2.jpg

The first and fourth ones are slightly out of focus, but they were both a bit rushed, unfortunately...

From the weekend - went camping up at Goomburra Section (Cunningham's Cap way)

DSC_0220.jpgDSC_0414.jpg

Our new cat

DSC_0059.jpg

And the sky this morning for the meteor shower - saw 30+ meteors in the hour or so but none of them showed up in the trail - clouds did though

DSC_0029_0085.jpg

GoldZilla you didn't ask for advice so feel free to ignore this :)

Noticed you were using "Spot Metering mode" which is probably not really what you want..

450D Metering modes:

• Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
  • Partial metering (approx. 9% of viewfinder at center)
  • Spot metering (approx. 4% of viewfinder at center)
  • Center-weighted average metering

(taken from here)

Also try giving the built in flash a go - its not quite as bad as people make out!

Hey more great photos guys!!!

Firstly, Zennon, what breed is that cat? Looks like a smaller, slightly less fluffy version of my late cat, Zeus, he was a russian blue :) adorable breeds!!!

And again zennon, those creek/waterfall shots are awesome! Are they near your house? Youre lucky.

GoldZilla, cool graffiti shots, was the first pic supposed to be blurry? It'd look cooler if it wasnt :thumbsup:

I dont think Sidd needs me to tell him his photos are cool!!!

And i like all of the colours that Sl!m has captured in his graffiti shots!!! Nice and vibrant!!!

I might have some pics to post up soon, ive been on 3 weeks holidays in melb, cairns and brissy. Only got back friday and havent even had the chance to look at the photos yet, ive been so busy. But ill check them out when i can and see if i have any good enough to post up :(

Couldnt edit my previous post because its been too long but here are some of my fav shots from my hol (none of these photos have been edited yet tho)

Here is a pic i took of a King penguin at melbourne aquarium

didnt realise i'd left the polarising filter on

post-62384-1256207316_thumb.jpg

Pic of the moon over the ocean. View from balcony at the place i stayed in cairns. Its blurry cos i didnt have a tripod...just the floor. Me and my bf took about 10 with diff exposures etc

post-62384-1256207374_thumb.jpg

And a photo from the main event in cairns. My partner's sister's wedding

Left to right:

Brooke and Emma (the brides two daughters), Shakey (bridesmaid), Bride (Terri), Groom (Clae) and bestman. (bones?, lol i really dont know his name)

post-62384-1256207443_thumb.jpg

Zennon - nice pics dude :) I like the star trails.. I miss doing them..

Passive - Just thought i let you know that you dont need a tripod to take pics of the moon. Off-course if you have a telescope its going to be hard to hand held it, but for a lens up to say 200mm is just fine hand held. Also i see your exposure is 1 second; hense why its blury. The moon is the brightest thing in our sky at night so there really isnt a need for long exposure.

Here is a photo hand held at 200mm and shutter speed at 1/250th of a second from memory.

20090729164728_img_9036_sig.jpg

I understand you need a zoom lens to see this much detail, but just thought i let you know that if you taking a pic of just the moon then you dont need such a long exposure and hand held is do-able.

Love the penguin photo!! Got any more?

GoldZilla you didn't ask for advice so feel free to ignore this :P

Noticed you were using "Spot Metering mode" which is probably not really what you want..

450D Metering modes:

• Evaluative metering (linkable to any AF point)
  • Partial metering (approx. 9% of viewfinder at center)
  • Spot metering (approx. 4% of viewfinder at center)
  • Center-weighted average metering

(taken from here)

Also try giving the built in flash a go - its not quite as bad as people make out!

Not a problem, I'm new to this so any advice given I'll try to remember, but there is a HELL of a lot to learn and remember, so I need to get used to it. BTW, you didn't mention which of those modes I should probably have been using. At a guess, should it have been Evaluative or Centre-weighted, just to get a balance coverage of exposure?

I do have a Sigma flash too, but didn't even think to attach it because I assumed there was enough light in the shot and it would be sufficiently exposed for something decent to come of it. Oh well..

GoldZilla, cool graffiti shots, was the first pic supposed to be blurry? It'd look cooler if it wasnt :thumbsup:

And i like all of the colours that Sl!m has captured in his graffiti shots!!! Nice and vibrant!!!

No, the first and fourth pics weren't meant to be blurry - with the first pic I was trying to shoot through a chain fence, and realised there was a slight opening that I could get my arm and camera through, but not be able to look through the viewfinder, so it was with a bit of luck that I got the shot at all.

I was in a rush with the second one, and was tired by that time of the day too.

Sl!m and I were in Melbourne for the weekend with 4 other people, and I've gotta say I was surprised at how many little tucked-away lanes we found that had awesome works on display. Some of it, like in my third shot and some of Sl!m's, were clearly destroyed by people tagging on them, and I think that's pretty disrespectful of the people who did the original works.