SAU Community

What To Do...

gt-ahhh!

hello

i just received the crushing news that i have no compression in #4 cylinder. this has come at a bad time financially (though i dont suppose there is ever a good time to blow a motor) and im trying to assess my options.

im considering throwing in the towel and offloading the car as is, but im not quite sure how much i could get for it. ive seen figures ranging from $3000 to $8000. the car is a 93 R33 gtst, black, manual. its in pretty good nick, with 130000km. its got 9 months rego etc etc. some mods, has been well maintained, i recently had the brakes rebuilt and new fluid/pads, and the trans and diff oil replaced with good expensive stuff.

post-40626-1254897423_thumb.jpgpost-40626-1254897440_thumb.jpg

post-40626-1254897456_thumb.jpgpost-40626-1254897536_thumb.jpg

alternatively, i could replace the motor for around $4-5k i guess. looking around for motors/packages at the moment.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, mitch

Edited by gt-ahhh!

Depends dude if you still love your car just fix it up

BTW can I ask where you got your front bar from ?

haha everyone loves that front bar! i bought it off ebay, from a fellow called "mybodykits" from memory. its top secret style. i got it for like $350 delivered too! needed a little work to accomodate the intercooler and mount some indicators, but it looks sexy eh?

in regards to loving my car... i loved it once. if i replace the motor ill still sell it. ive got a daily now, so i want a 300+rwkw gtrrrrr for my weekender.

Get a cheap low kay engine and get a smaller workshop to put it in. Probably throw a clutch in it too...

Cost me $1400 for the engine and $500 in and out, drive away.

The new engine had 5PSI more compression across the board, was a partial win.

haha everyone loves that front bar! i bought it off ebay, from a fellow called "mybodykits" from memory. its top secret style. i got it for like $350 delivered too! needed a little work to accomodate the intercooler and mount some indicators, but it looks sexy eh?

in regards to loving my car... i loved it once. if i replace the motor ill still sell it. ive got a daily now, so i want a 300+rwkw gtrrrrr for my weekender.

Sell to me super cheap then...

Need a car for some spares...

Is low comp from head or pistons?

Sell to me super cheap then...

Need a car for some spares...

Is low comp from head or pistons?

ill sell it to you for $7000.... is that your idea of super cheap lol?

im not sure whats causing the lack of compression. i will speak to my mechanic and see if its worth further inspection, could be a seized valve or something. then id only have to replace the head.

its very puzzling though, an intake joint between the turbo and intercooler blew off when the problem appeared. originally we thought it was a timing belt slip, retarded timing, backfire etc... but ive got no idea now.

ill sell it to you for $7000.... is that your idea of super cheap lol?

im not sure whats causing the lack of compression. i will speak to my mechanic and see if its worth further inspection, could be a seized valve or something. then id only have to replace the head.

its very puzzling though, an intake joint between the turbo and intercooler blew off when the problem appeared. originally we thought it was a timing belt slip, retarded timing, backfire etc... but ive got no idea now.

If timing skipped a tooth, all cylinders would drop down equally.

Get him to do a dry and wet test, then post results.

It may not be as bad as you think. Do a leak down test it will tell you what's wrong and this decide where to go from there. Really shouldn't be as expensive as you think it's gonna be.

Ps... Im Assuming you have basic mechanical knowledge and can do most of the labour yourself..

Cheers..

dude if you just want to sell it just put another piston in it i can help you out alot cheaper than a work shop pm me if you like

That's really nice of you Paul!

Warms the heart to see a post like yours!

thanks heaps for the offer. im not sure exactly whats wrong with the blown one. im probably going to go ahead and drop a new motor in, but would you be interested in patching up the blown motor once i check it out?

obviously i would pay you. im quite interested to have a go at something like that! how nice of you to offer haha