SAU Community

Out Of Puff...2l Turbo Vs 3.5l Na

Hi All,

Was driving home from work last Thurs nite, down the usual freeway, then collector road to home and found myself being tailed by a SKODA...

I thought, what the hell....A WAGON!!???!!

So I let him pass, and he virtually flew past me onto the Deer Park Bypass...

Now..this is where it gets interesting, I normally drive responsibly with some excitement, so I kicked up the heat and did the same past the SKODA Octavia wagon...(Disclaimer - No SPEEDING INVOLVED :D )

We both exited to Caroline Springs Off-ramp and we were at each other for a good 5km thereafter, taking apexes at roundabouts, etc....with the usual "Him lead", then "Me lead"....

1. I was gobsmacked that he could catch up with acceleration (when I was leading)...

2. I was gobsmacked x 2 that I ran out of puff and could not overtake him (when he was leading)...

3. I was surprised with his stable cornering at the roundabouts...

Now, not knowing much about SKODAs, I thought this OCTAVIA RS was at least a 2.5L Turbo or a Straight 6 from an Audi powerplant or something thereabouts...So I checked up the specs...and was gobsmacked for the 3rd time....He has VW GTI running gear!!!! 147KW stock...WTF???? I feel so ashamed, head between my legs....

Skoda Octavia RS Wagon Specs:

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/skoda/sk...t-skod09do.aspx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

or couldve been modded. turbo + boost bleed valve = instant joy under $100, and turbo dont run out of puff longer, as yhe higher the rpm, the better it spools n boost... n/a is always geting choked at high rpm. have u got a z-tube?

Guys...

I was going to post up something simular about some events that have happened to me....and I am a little disappointed with my v35 coupe (manual with just a cat back exhaust)

1) a v8 ss ute was pulling away from me slowly as we floored it up the onramp to the ringroad - understandable as ours is a v6

2) my mates DC5 Honda Integra - thought I'd pull away at top end speed (from rolling start) but he kept right on my butt - we were dead even! :)

V8 = wins by torque

DC2 = wins by weight

guys when will you all learn???

V35 is NOT intended for performance in mind...

a sit back, luxury cruiser it is...

try dragging a lexus Is250 next time (don't get it wrong u will still loose if you try against IS-F)

or any non-AMG, non-Brabus benz or shopping cart BMWs....

wake up to the reality boys, sell your cars for WRX/Evo or put up with it.

yep, just throw in 15k-ish for one of those APS twin turbo kits, drive in drive out...

if you still get beaten by that Skoda then it will be a very bitter slap of reality, sell the V35 and get a Skoda.

one more thing Nelson... on Caltex' Vortex Premium although I find the engine sounds smoother and quieter, I noticed there is a massive lack of responsiveness... something that is just missing from V-Power although the shell made the engine sounds rougher like a ford pickup truck.

it could be your fuel... time to go back to Shell V-Power perhaps for you....

when i first got the v i was neck to neck with a f6 typhoon, nowadays just cruising as im on the dlble or nothing program =(

also in wa ive notice that the caltex vortex 98 lacks in power and responsiveness the bp 98 is better. we dont have v power =(

Edited by xtc

V8 = wins by torque

DC2 = wins by weight

guys when will you all learn???

V35 is NOT intended for performance in mind...

a sit back, luxury cruiser it is...

try dragging a lexus Is250 next time (don't get it wrong u will still loose if you try against IS-F)

or any non-AMG, non-Brabus benz or shopping cart BMWs....

wake up to the reality boys, sell your cars for WRX/Evo or put up with it.

i own a is250 its actually quiet fast and very responsive..

Well really it all sounds about right.

A stock V will do the quarter in highish 14s i think. The skoda will do a low 15. The SS ute will be low 14's and the DC5r should be around 15 flat.

Then the question of mods and engine spec (coupe has a few more kws and torque than sedan) and transmission/driver ability comes into play too.

Some US G35s can do high 13's with a fair few bolt ons. A good target imho, considering it's n/a. Faster than most stock sports cars on the road but still useable.

So happy to see other V35 owners having similar probs..and for a minute, i thought it was my CVT-8 gearbox or or just becos I had a sedan...hehe

I had a 2.6L twin turbo S4 Audi a few years back, and that absolutely went like a bad case of diarhorea...QUICK! So, my expectations for luxury cruisers are at a certain level....

Anyway....time for a Skoda anyone???? LOL....

when i first got the v i was neck to neck with a f6 typhoon, nowadays just cruising as im on the dlble or nothing program =(

also in wa ive notice that the caltex vortex 98 lacks in power and responsiveness the bp 98 is better. we dont have v power =(

that;s what I found of vortex too.. although Nelson seems to like vortex and dislike shell v-power...

haven't tried bp yet, I have to finish this whole tank of vortex, and then give bp ultimate a try....

in a couple of weeks.

once that's done i'm gonna post a comparison of mileage between those fuel brands and see if there is any different...

it may not be scientifically sound as changing the whole brand of fuel after a tank probably won't yield a long term realistic usage consumption figure...

but would be interesting to know...

i've tried mobil synergy so far, v-power, and now on vortex, bp ultimate next.... might have result to post here in november...

So happy to see other V35 owners having similar probs..and for a minute, i thought it was my CVT-8 gearbox or or just becos I had a sedan...hehe

I had a 2.6L twin turbo S4 Audi a few years back, and that absolutely went like a bad case of diarhorea...QUICK! So, my expectations for luxury cruisers are at a certain level....

Anyway....time for a Skoda anyone???? LOL....

I second that... time for a Skoda... they look nice...

oh change of mind... did you guys watched tonight's top gear....

I believe Skoda is not the answer, we should all get the V8 supercharged HSV. it's got terrific reviews from Top Gear UK

it would be good if you did the comparison tests between the fuels used. i tried but couldnt get an exact figure as my foot sometimes get a little itchy =) however i did notice that bp 98 does respond better and slightly better milege.

i remembered sometime in august i managed 630kms home and work everyday on bp and vortex was max 550k. anyway we shall see rianto.