SAU Community

Moral Dillemma Regarding My Gtr

as an old wise man said to be once. buy someone elses mistakes on the cheap, rather than make your own not so cheap

i followed that rule when i bought my 33 and boy was i wrong, when you buy someone's modified car you get a few things both good and bad, you get the extra parts, the extra performance, and a heap of other goodies but Sometimes you get their shortcuts, and bad workmanship ect for example my car had bare wiring in fuel tank hanging about 4cm away from a butchered fuel cradle, i got this surprise and about a 100 others i rather not explain, when i bought my car it looked clean the owner was middle aged and he seemed honest, but it was the workshops working and modifying the car who cut corners....... in the end you know the history of your car it in pretty good condition and you know any problems, its up to you... but weigh your options up

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bingo...

i had that intention with my r32... granted its just a gtst... but its more than my budget can handle... i bought it as someones mistake... overall in solid condition... but needed a few little touches here and there.... its come to the point where ive taken it off the road and am completly going over it front to back as im sick of chasing gremlins and finding the weak links.. everything will be replaced, refurbished, or binned.

ive also heard stories about high hp cars, being "built" by top japanese workshops... that are nothing like their big dollar demo cars that draw you in.. so even if it says its been built by "such and such" doesnt necessarily mean they have actually touched it.

its difficult to spot a high hp gtr with a problem as they generally cough and sputter and cam away... hiding all sorts of possible malfunctions that are being sold as "highly tuned"

You raise many a valid point here, just also keep in mind age vs. neglect is a hard thing to seperate..

i followed that rule when i bought my 33 and boy was i wrong, when you buy someone's modified car you get a few things both good and bad, you get the extra parts, the extra performance, and a heap of other goodies but Sometimes you get their shortcuts, and bad workmanship ect for example my car had bare wiring in fuel tank hanging about 4cm away from a butchered fuel cradle, i got this surprise and about a 100 others i rather not explain, when i bought my car it looked clean the owner was middle aged and he seemed honest, but it was the workshops working and modifying the car who cut corners....... in the end you know the history of your car it in pretty good condition and you know any problems, its up to you... but weigh your options up

This is the one thing I am scared of. Handing over big money for some big shortcuts.. I have had many problems with workshops in the past who build great cars for themselves, but when it comes to joe bloe off the street, many corners are cut and the end result looks like their example but inside and tucked away where you can't see... it's not...

Atleast if I build it myself with my mechanic and tuner I can trust them with doing what they say they have done.

sounds like you have come to an answer... and i bet deep down it was the one you were after.. you know when you flip a coin, and when it lands... you turn it over anyway, once the decision has been made for you... you know which way you want to go.

generally... workshops do good work, for good people, on good cars, that although you may not be rolling in the folding stuff... are willing to pay the good money for the good products.. (thats not always a rule though, some workshops just have good advertising and their work is just slap dash)

ive always taken that approach to cars... if i work on someones car that is disrespectful to me and disrespectful to their car... i will do the bare minimum of work required.. but if its a good person, and they clearly take pride in their car and respect me for the fact that they are bringing the car to me because they do not have the facilities or knowledge to carry out the work... i will go above and beyond what they have asked me to do, especially if its clear that although they do not have alot of money, they will scrounge up enough to afford the best parts possible... i will do it to the best of my ability and be as neat and tidy as possible.

which if you were to bring your r33 gtr to me... i would be more than happy to help you.. you know the car, you have a relationship with the car, i respect that. if you brought a 600hp r32 gtr in that you knew nothing about and no idea what was in it... i would be skeptical of touching it.

hope your r33 brings you many more years of happiness.

Thanks mate, had an in depth chat with Dan at ERD, and a few other lads on how to acheive what I want... Better get saving.. And maybe sell the missus...

Anyone keen for a 5-10 19 year old blonde? Will swap for built Rb26 HAHAHAHAHAH

Thanks mate, had an in depth chat with Dan at ERD, and a few other lads on how to acheive what I want... Better get saving.. And maybe sell the missus...

does she play well with 5-10 23 year old blondes?? haha j/k

Hahaha, I owe my dad wayyyy too many favours to ask for more money! Yeah its a hard choice, i have been told by numerous older guys in the scene (friend of my father who happily own a ADM R32GTR) to hold onto it its worth more than what people will pay. I was in the right place at the right time when I bought it, not many people can say they own a grade 5 auction vspec and they bought it off the original owner who bought it new..

And as for the borrowing the old mans cars, been there done that many years ago when i was younger... lets just say i have 2 chances on that happening again.

Grade 5!

That's like a brand new car condition yeah... I have heard of 4.5, but anything higher would be in Mint condition (New Car)... Previous owner must have just driven it on weekends and maintained it very carefully.

Damn you scored an awesome R33 GTR V-Spec.

;)

Go on...

Pics...

Jokes :)

well it was a grade 5 car... a couple years in australian carparks and in its wonderful sunshine makes it... (love those car door dints, cheers!)

and yes she plays well with other peoples boobies

hahaha and no pics... she would divorce me hahah

ontopic though, for a safe 450rwhp, is 550cc injectors cutting it abit too fine or should i go for like 700's?

bakes has 700cc and vipec ecu... he has a build thread in the forced induction section... it idles and drives like normal, the ecu has no dramas controlling the big injectors.

mine's r34 uses 600cc injectors and pump fuel it makes 620hp...

ideally you want the correct size injectors for your power level... dont wack in 800cc injectors if you only need 600cc's as the smaller injectors are more easily controlled by most ecu's.

youve had your car for a while by the sound of it... and youve got a connection with it... you know its history, you know whats in it and where its been... that counts for something.

+1 Totally agree. This is the bottom line isnt it. And this conclusion really depends on if your going to keep or sell the car later on. by the sounds of it you are attached to it and possibly will keep the car for the long run. then knowing where tis been, and whats done is far more important than saving a few bucks.

+1 Totally agree. This is the bottom line isnt it. And this conclusion really depends on if your going to keep or sell the car later on. by the sounds of it you are attached to it and possibly will keep the car for the long run. then knowing where tis been, and whats done is far more important than saving a few bucks.

This is so true, I guess I just have to live with it in bone stock form for just that little bit longer and sell my ass on the street a little bit more.. Then I can have some fun!

This is a car I would like to give to my son eventually as is the family tradition.. Just gotta get saving for those snails!

As for the injectors NZM031 yeah I am aware of how they work its all about effiecency so to speak.. I was told by a tuner that 550's would do the job although I would have no room to move in the future if i wanted to go past my desired 450hp goal.

Hence brining me to the question of say 700's or 600's? and how they operate under pressure of say like 3 bar as opposed to 2 bar..

I gotta check those two builds out!

bakes setup will support 450hp if he changes cams and valve springs... but the thing hauls as is.. and like i said, hes never been over 60% throttle.. we strapped it on the putty alone once, and with the putty cruise just gone... and both times the thing had almost too much power... it was completly usable without fying the tyres or being silly.. 400hp is completly safe and completly usable.. if you need more than 450hp... you need more than a back road to really enjoy it.

well it was a grade 5 car... a couple years in australian carparks and in its wonderful sunshine makes it... (love those car door dints, cheers!)

and yes she plays well with other peoples boobies

hahaha and no pics... she would divorce me hahah

ontopic though, for a safe 450rwhp, is 550cc injectors cutting it abit too fine or should i go for like 700's?

No worries. :)

I think I got a spare RB26 at a friends workshop, sitting around... :P:)

bakes setup will support 450hp if he changes cams and valve springs... but the thing hauls as is.. and like i said, hes never been over 60% throttle.. we strapped it on the putty alone once, and with the putty cruise just gone... and both times the thing had almost too much power... it was completly usable without fying the tyres or being silly.. 400hp is completly safe and completly usable.. if you need more than 450hp... you need more than a back road to really enjoy it.
I don't understand what your saying mate im abit country bumkin old school english do you mean you ran it on the dyno not at ful throttle?

I think that's what he means.

Bakes R34 GTR must be that powerful, that if you ran it at 100% throttle, it might get a bit uncontrollable on the dyno...

Is that what you mean NZM.031?

Okay i am at a loss here I dont realy understand what has been said.

I want to acheive 400-450hp myself. My current wish list includes -5 turbos, ecu (still tossing between autronic, wolf, and haltech) fuel setup injectors, pump, and a few other little preventave mods.

Any suggestions bakes?

i strongly suggest you talk to your tuner before buying and installing a wolf ECU............Autronic are the favoured ECU of tuners i am invoved with. Peak horsepower is also confusing. You want it to make good power early so a solid torque curve is what you are really after in a street car. Keep the turbos small and push around a bar of boost through it. It will make 400hp but will make it from 3200rpm onwards withought straining the engine therefore keeping it reliable. anything over that power becomes wasted on the street. Also limit your rpm to 7500. There is no use in turning a standard engine with std cams, springs and small turbos any harder. This just hurts the engine.

I want to acheive 400-450hp myself. My current wish list includes -5 turbos, ecu (still tossing between autronic, wolf, and haltech) fuel setup injectors, pump, and a few other little preventave mods.

Any suggestions bakes?

Any suggestions bakes?

400-450HP at the wheels: -5 turbos, ecu, and fuel set up + obviously full exhaust etc. No problems at all. You are on the right track.

If you want to build the motor down the track like I will, he -5s will then also be able to make much more power also.

I don't understand what your saying mate im abit country bumkin old school english do you mean you ran it on the dyno not at ful throttle?
No worries. :)

I think I got a spare RB26 at a friends workshop, sitting around... :P:(

I think that's what he means.

Bakes R34 GTR must be that powerful, that if you ran it at 100% throttle, it might get a bit uncontrollable on the dyno...

Is that what you mean NZM.031?

what i mean is that on the dyno, being tuned, it was 400hp at wide open throttle... absolutly flat out..

but in the real world... on a nice twisty bit of black top.. in a real driving situation... you only need 60% of throttle to enjoy it... there is another 40% of throttle to be opened... but its not neccessary, in the real world, it doesnt need the 400hp that it has.. the speed at which it can accelerate at 60% throttle usage is almost is ridiculous, and its barely working, hardly raising a sweat.... it must really pull at 100%..

i was watching the monitor on the putty cruise... and on the short bursts out of the corners... where normally you would flatten it .. the most he used that day, was 30% and it was hauling.. 30%!!!!!... thats 70% of throttle left to play with!!!!.. its amazing knowing the potential this car has.. if you were to have a really good road and open it right up.

i say power fc FTW... but im biased towards it.. get that first, get it tuned and run a bit more boost to keep you happy until you get 2530's or -5s

cheers

Linton