SAU Community

Car Issues....losing power (Still) Help!

Rob

Howdy All,

Unsure if you remember but a while back I was having power loss probs with my car, here is the scenario:

- Car will run perfect but suddenly lose power and not go anything over 2000rpm.

- If it does this and I stop the car, turn it off, and turn the car back on again 8/10 times the car will run perfect again.

- Car will go up to 200 - 300km's of travelling sometimes without this problem happening..sometimes more.

- Also does not seem to have anything to do with outside air temp ... it happen on a coldish night and also a hot day.

- Fuel levels don't seem to be an issue, only thing i have noticed it seemed to do near 1/2 full and close to empty ?

Since then I have taken it to 2 places and they can not find a fault with it and it runs perfectly when the check it out and run it on the dyno.

I am basically out of idea's except trying a new ECU & AFM.

Does anyone out there have any other idea's? , any Mechanic's out there that have seen anything like this b4?

BTW the engine is a 1G-GTE Twin Turbo.

Help!! :cheers:.

Rob.

With R33s at least, the plastic ECU connector can warp under certain conditions and some of the connections come appart. Mine was having intermittent fuel pump probs due to this (a relay connection) and when we reinforced the connector it has been fine for over a year.

like i said b4 in an older post. I had very similar problem to u. Turned out to b the loom plug into the ecu and the ecu itself.

So i changed both and fixed the afm and it worked. im thinkin the reason no one can find the problem is because it is a connection problem where everytime someone is lookin at it, it is fine.

Yeah that's the one Enrico, the loom plug.

Steve, it was very involved and highly technical ;) . We used stuff called Black Insulation Tape (this is very expensive nuclear radiation proof material, only available from the US Defence Dept.!) and stapped it up around the edges. It only became apparent when we did the Microtech plug in.

ROFL only Joolz could get a pic of elec tape that quick....classic :D

Cheers thanks for the info guys, gonna have a good look at the loom and see if i can get another ECU to try out in it.

Let's hope for a good outcome!!

On a lighter note my car makes 100 RWKW on stock boost.... feel the power lol!

But hey it also gets about 410km's on 47 Ltrs of Fuel ... I can live with that ;)

Rob, I think I had the same problem as you before, but mine was because of the AFM, I took my car to few different places and no one can find the problem. All they said the problem could be from:

1) the AFM

2) may be there has some bad connection somewhere in the car

3) the connection of the ECU

They tried the connection of the ECU and problem still there, so I went to the other shop and they clean the AFM for me, and things seem to get better. So, I went home and I changed my old AFM back and the problem was gone.

*I found sometimes the AFM has problem, but we just don't know, because they still look clean and good.

Guest RedLineGTR

Rob post it up on the supra forums someone around thier might of had the problem before. Not saying at all that u cant post here by all means..anyways good luck. :)