SAU Community

Rb20 Valve Lash - Solid Lifters

murrayis

Hi,

Wanting to check the valve lash on my stroked rb20, but before I go measure it all would like to try find what the ideal amount of clearance is.

I am running TOMEI 270 9.25mm Cams with TOMEI Solid Lifters and from memory 2.6mm shims.

I am not sure if these are the correct figures:

Valve Clearance (Cold)

IN - 0.45mm

EX - 0.38mm

The main reason for checking this is they sound a little tappy so would like to be safe rather than sorry before I go for the final tune and 8500rpm.

Regards

Cameron

Edited by murrayis

From memory the gregdy ones were 0.35 all round so your 0.38 seems about right but i think you have them round the wrong way which is why they are noisy. Exhaust is usually the larger clearance due to more heat = more expansion.

Cheers Trent,

I compared these numbers to the RB26 workshop manual and it would sujest the tighter of the two is the EX also. Now to find a supplier of shims in QLD.

Cheers

Cameron

yeah your right, my mistake sorry for the bum steer. i looked it up this morn (Tomei).

Most cars run the opposite and id just finished doing a our engine with the greddy cams (same on both) and turbo honda engine (larger on the exh).

If you get stuck for shims try BNB reco 03 95479674 they just shimed up a 26 head for me and it needed a full set made up.

Edited by URAS

When I re shimmed my RB I ordered my shims from a guy in melbourne- superior quality to nissan (.2 case hardened) and on the shelf (delivered overnight), .2 increments (so you can rub them to size) about a quarter of the price of nissan too. Let me know if you wan contact details and I'll look them up

It isn't really running at the moment, in the process of putting a Haltech ECU in the car so then will need to be tuned again.

Doo Doo, send through his details if you like will save alot of time once I measure what it currently has and know what I need.

Edited by murrayis

It isn't really running at the moment, in the process of putting a Haltech ECU in the car so then will need to be tuned again.

Doo Doo, send through his details if you like will save alot of time once I measure what it currently has and know what I need.

Precision Shims Australia- 03 9723 0199 www.precisionshims.com.au