SAU Community

Ecu Problems

My 250gt has been throwing up error codes for some time, I've been fixing the problems identified as they have come up, but I am becoming suspicious that the problem is actually the ECU throwing up random error codes.

I had the codes checked about a month ago and two error codes came up. I reset the CEL and it came on again after a short time, today I had the codes read again and two codes came up again, but at least one of them is different to last time. The two codes are P1135 and P1110, both ignition timing control, bank 1 and bank 2.

In addition, on a long trip the CEL light will turn itself off without me resetting it, but will turn on again within a few days of city driving..

Firstly anyone back the idea that it is a faulty ECU? Or anyone have any other ideas?

Secondly, anyone know how much it costs to repair the ECU or is it even repairable? How much for a new one, anyone know?

Hmm I am very confused. I can replicate the problem almost every time now. The CEL routinely comes back on driving over a mountain range, I'll drive up the hill and once the car gets to the top and the level, load and revs flatten out, bang on she flashes. I can do it over and over again, probably 90% of the time.

The error codes are currently ignition timing control banks 1 and 2 malfunction... Anyone got any ideas? Need help!! I cannot seem to get to the bottom of this! I've read up some other forums and quite a few Nissan owners have had the same symptoms (CEL coming on up hills, intermittent rough idle, bad fuel economy, random error codes) and so far I have not seen a single resolution to the problem posted........ Help!!

Edited by Easy Tiger

Hi had a look on G35Driver, no promises, but this might help - maybe check your engine oil?

This may sound silly, but check the oil. I had the same problem. There is a bulletin out for this problem from Infiniti. Topped off the oil and it was fine. This actually led me to find out that my 03 was burning 1 quart ever 600 miles! I have pasted the bulletin.

And another thing... you cannot do a simple valve adjust on these motors. You must remove the cams and lifters which alone is roughly 15 hours flat rate.

So in conclusion check your oil level!

Classification:

EM06-006a

Reference:

ITB06-023a

Date:

January 24, 2008

APPLIED VEHICLES:

All 1997 2008 with Variable Valve Timing

APPLIED ENGINES:

VQ35; VH41, VK45; VK56

IF YOU CONFIRM

The MIL is on with any of the following DTCs stored:

^ P0011, P0014, P0021, P0024, P1110, P1135,

NOTE : The engine may also have Camshaft Sprocket rattle noise and/or other engine noise.

ACTION

Do Not replace the variable valve timing Solenoid Valve or the Sprocket(s) without performing the complete diagnostics indicated in the EC section of the Service Manual.

The first steps in the complete diagnostic are to make sure the:

^ Engine oil is at the operating level; add oil if needed. Refer to the Service Manual for low oil level diagnoses if needed.

^ Oil pressure is normal when measured with a gauge at the pressure switch port. Refer to the Service Manual for low oil pressure diagnoses if needed.

Hey CeffyNSW thanks very much for that info, could potentially be the answer.

I have since checked out all V35/G35 TSBs on the Infiniti Techinfo site, great reference for any future problems.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll take this info to my mechanic.

• 3 weeks later...
Possibly the Crank Angle Sensor - there was a recall on early JDM V35s for this?

http://dogandlemon.com/site/japanese-vehic...aseno=RJ-0995-0

If the CAS is feeding invalid timing signals to the ECU then this could produce the symptoms you are seeing?

Thanks Ant appreciate the help. I think the sensor was replaced back in Japan under the TSB, the silver sticker is in the specified location. But if all else fails, can go back to testing for that one again, may have failed again due to age/wear.

I read somewhere that excess pressure in the fuel system can trip the check engine light as well (often from filling past the first 'click'), I have since released the built up pressure and reset the light - so far so good, no engine light back on. I wouldn't have thought it would have generated the codes that I was getting, but I'm no expert on these things! See what happens I guess. If it comes back on, I will investigate the TSB that CeffyNSW mentioned.

Thanks again :blush: