SAU Community

Radiator Fan Blade Problem

Bigbob

Can anyone assist me??

I have a 1989 Skyline, 6 Cyl., 3.0Litre, S/Wagon that requires a replacement fan clutch and fan blade, however I seem to have stumbled upon a problem where the two do not fit together? Let me explain:

I purchased a genuine Nissan Fan blade from Nissan (Pt. No. 21060-55S01), and then after reeling in disbelief at what Nissan wished me to pay for an original Fan Clutch ($400+), I went to my local parts agent and purchased a aftermarket unit.

All was going well until I attempted to join the two together, for I found that the mounting holes on the fan were too far apart to fit onto the fan clutch. I measured them and found them to be 143mm apart, whereas the holes on the fan clutch were 133mm.

I contacted the Manufacturer of the fan clutch, who assures me that there were two fan blades, and that their dimensions are 133mm and 136mm. When I explained the problem he assured me I had the correct one, and that in fact the fan blade I had was for the model engine (2.6Ltr./6Cyl) after mine, which uses a fan blade of 143mm between centres.

I contacted the Nissan dealer that I purchased the part from and He assures me that I have the correct part, and even faxed me over a copy of his parts list which shows only one part number for my engine!

I realise that things happen, but now I am confused as to what I should do, and I would welcome any assistance more experienced people can provide. Please excuse any out of place comments, I am new to "forums" and such.

Thank you, Bob

Edited by Bigbob

i have come across this with RB30 & rb25 clutch assy being different, but both are available aftermarket. $110

Can anyone assist me??

I have a 1989 Skyline, 6 Cyl., 3.0Litre, S/Wagon that requires a replacement fan clutch and fan blade, however I seem to have stumbled upon a problem where the two do not fit together? Let me explain:

I purchased a genuine Nissan Fan blade from Nissan (Pt. No. 21060-55S01), and then after reeling in disbelief at what Nissan wished me to pay for an original Fan Clutch ($400+), I went to my local parts agent and purchased a aftermarket unit.

All was going well until I attempted to join the two together, for I found that the mounting holes on the fan were too far apart to fit onto the fan clutch. I measured them and found them to be 143mm apart, whereas the holes on the fan clutch were 133mm.

I contacted the Manufacturer of the fan clutch, who assures me that there were two fan blades, and that their dimensions are 133mm and 136mm. When I explained the problem he assured me I had the correct one, and that in fact the fan blade I had was for the model engine (2.6Ltr./6Cyl) after mine, which uses a fan blade of 143mm between centres.

I contacted the Nissan dealer that I purchased the part from and He assures me that I have the correct part, and even faxed me over a copy of his parts list which shows only one part number for my engine!

I realise that things happen, but now I am confused as to what I should do, and I would welcome any assistance more experienced people can provide. Please excuse any out of place comments, I am new to "forums" and such.

Thank you, Bob

i have come across this with RB30 & rb25 clutch assy being different, but both are available aftermarket. $110

Dear BezerkR32,

Thanks for the response, and special thanks to the others who have responded it is really appreciated.

I got am email from the Manufacturer of the Fan Clutch, who states the following:

"It is also possible Nissan have superseded all there parts to the later model that does still take the same water-pump.

I know it's a hassle but you may need to pull off the clutch first and match it up by measurement."

He is again reinforcing the statement that the Fan Clutch is correct and that Nissan have changed in some way.

Thankfully he has given me another Fan Clutch Number, which has the same C to C measurements of the

Nissan Fan Blade.

Because my vehicle is a Nissan I would like to use Nissan parts where possible, so I am thinking that I should

remove the current unit on my vehicle, measure it and then compare it (Both blade & Fan Clutch) and see what

comes of it. (My engine ID Plate says: RB30 175778A, Build date April 12 1989)

What do you guys think? I am trying to keep my vehicle as Nissan as possible, but this is becoming a challenge

that requires a strategy. I do appologise for not replying to all your messages, I am not really good at these

types of things. icon9.gif

Regards, Bob

UPDATE: As of 22/12/09.

The "other" cat number that fitted my radiator fan, was nearly as expensive as the original Nissan brand. (seems it is imported from Japan) so even though it did and would have done the job, it was far too expensive this close to Christmas, so I optioned for a VL replacement part.

I returned the Fan blade to Nissan, which they (thankfully) accepted with no issue. I then went to a Wrecking yard and bought a VL fan-blade, then went to my Auto parts dealer (who had originally told me to use a VL unit ) and he was able to exchange mine for the correct unit.

I installed it today without too much difficulty, and all seems to be working OK, now. It seems that my intentions although earnest were not to be, and thanks to those of you on this forum I'm able to get on with keeping my Skyline in good condition, my thanks to all thos who helped me, and if anyone comes across this problem I would only be to happy tho provide any information that may be of assistance.

PS...... Merry Christmas ( I got mine present today :) )