SAU Community

Putting A Turbo Back In

azzafreddy

hahaha i love this, i just read all the stuff on boostcruising about this forum as well (http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index....494982&st=0). im getting really tempted to go out and make a video and single handedly prove how well this car is running without a turbo at low compression with the same DET ECU and Injectors, that will turn the tables a little bit, im not saying its a street machine but it has as much balls as a standard rb25 easy, then maybe SAU & Boostcruising members will realise what im doing is actually not such a bad idea, and i know the engine plate calls it a gtst but it really does not matter because i carry the turbo in my boot, my intercooler & piping goes nowhere so what are cops gonna say? they have nothing, i removed the turbo to make my car p plate legal and theres no evidence of me failing at that.

Video!! Do it. Incar and outcar.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is true that P plates are not allowed to drive modified cars, but which p plater doesnt own a modified car and get away with it? cry moar.

its a rather nifty mod you have done there, very simple, obviously effective. i would have tried plugging in a DE ecu/injectors/afm for better economy and drivability but hey if its working OK just leave it.

fact of the matter is when you do end up putting the turbo back on the car will go back to exactly how it should be. quick service along with it and new plugs and its back to normal.

the link really does put meaning to the name 'boostlosing' doesnt it.

yeah man, this is what i've been trying to prove, it is a simple modification thats made my car run pretty good considering & the car will be as good if not better when i get everything put back in after a service, tune, new Apexi Power FC, thats the plan. just got quoted $600 for my mechanic to bolt the turbo back in & hook up all the water/oil lines & BOV, ive already done allot of the labour myself (intercooler/piping/etc.), i even tried putting the turbo in myself, got it bolted in then didnt know how to do the rest so i gave up, with a couple of days off & some good info im going to atempt it myself again, does anyone have any ideas where i can get some solid info on reinstalling a turbo to an rb25det? its probably not something that everyone would post a forum about but any infomation would help i preferably need pictures so i know where everything goes, i have ramps so i can get underneith if i have to, even if it means taking the front bumper off to get it up there, thinking of selling the car in a couple of months as well. when its all back to normal, if anyone at all is interested pm me.

Edited by azzafreddy

Wait up, so your going to be selling the car in a couple of months?!

So why the f**k did you go to all this effort to be able to drive a GTST converted to a dodgy GTS, then convert it all back to normal and then sell it?

Why would you not just buy a GTS, drive that around on your P's, then buy what ever you wanted to when you got off your P's? You would have saved time, money and making yourself look like an idiot.

My god what the hell is the youth coming to these days.

Edited by PM-R33

lol PM relax, i didnt plan on putting the turbo back in till i came off my p's, in general i cant afford to own the car anymore so i have decided to sell it. i did have a standard r33 gts as well but i sold that before christmas. anyway, i have bolted the turbo on, piping and everything is done, blow off valve is hooked up with the vaccum line, i have screwed on the smallest oil line (so glad i have car ramps). cant undo the big oil pipe at the bottom :S its really tough.. one question, how many oil & water pipes to i need to bolt back to the block? i just want to make sure i get everything right. is there anything else i need to do after i get everything connected? or am i right to just start it up and hit the road (hopefully not near a cop). if by chance i cant work the rest of it out (which im pretty confident ive got it sorted) will my car be alright to drive to the mechanic? like 3 killometers away, it still runs im just not sure if the turbo will overheat without the oil & water pipes connected? thanks allot for any help.. really appreciate it.

Edited by azzafreddy

get some mates, put it in neutral, handbrake down and push that thing to the mechanics dude, would not risk it.

on a side note, if anyone would know approximately what rpm the turbine will spin at 3000? or is it a how long is a piece of string deal?

apparently they do up to something like 100,000 - 150,000 rpm at full boost?

maybe possible to drive really slowly in 4th/5th gear, without hitting boost or something?

lol, pushing it 3 kays is probably a bad choice, your right i really dont want to risk overheating the turbo, even at slow speeds with no boost. i found the plug for the coolant where the water pipe goes but it already has a steel circle ending on it that goes to the coolant tank (i presume) and when i put both of them on it seems like it would not work coz theres only one hole in the bolt if that makes any sense, not to mention theres a very little amount of bolt left to screw into the block, also the biggest plug for the oil (right at the bottom of the block) had a plug in it, now i got the plug out and my screw connection from the turbo doesnt fit, it seems like there is another bit to undo that surrounds the first plug i took out but im not sure if its part of the block or screwed in but its not budging at all.. it seems weird that my connection is heaps to big for it coz its the same one that was in there 4 months ago befoer the turbo was taken out, its actually impossible theres something odd, unless im just a weakling and cant undo it.

get some mates, put it in neutral, handbrake down and push that thing to the mechanics dude, would not risk it.

on a side note, if anyone would know approximately what rpm the turbine will spin at 3000? or is it a how long is a piece of string deal?

apparently they do up to something like 100,000 - 150,000 rpm at full boost?

maybe possible to drive really slowly in 4th/5th gear, without hitting boost or something?

would depend on the size of the turbo, but for the stock turbo it'd be on its way to full swing so it'll be doin around the 45,000-55,000 mark at a guess

even running the turbo at idle with the lines not hooked up properly it'll f**k shit up. get it done properly by someone who knows what the f**k there doin.

i know what im doing, i know where everything goes. i just cant undo the nut thats acting as a replacement for the big oil pipe, its all good tho, today i have another car to use so ill go to bunnings and sort it all out. if anyone knows about the coolant line and weather or not its meant to have 2 different hoses attached to it, please let me know or ill call a mechanic and ask.

make the video. also video the car on the dyno so we can all see just how much less power it makes than a healthy DE makes.

just because it runs like your old GTS doesn't mean much. maybe it was stuffed and that's why you don't notice the difference.

I once drove my car down the street with the wastegate flap wired open to diagonse a problem (so more or less the same thing as this thread). Pretty sure a senior citizen carrying a push bike under his arm while having a discussion with himself and trying to do the Macarena flew passed me. In Einstens terms, the theory of relativity broke down as the senior citizen was actually travelling faster than the speed of light relative to me. I actually saw him in three locations spread out over 100m at the same time. Was really weird. I dont think i'll do it again.

Edited by PM-R33

my old DE was a really good car i had 2 mechanics (one in melbourne and one in wodonga) tell me it was spot on, there was no problems with it & this car goes just like it, i really wonna know how to get this oil plug undone (the big one that is at the bottom of the block directly under the turbo, its like super tight and from underneith the car its hard to undo something thats super tight at the bottom of the block. i tried a shifter, i even went to bunnings and bought a really good socket peice that fits it, still wont undo, getting really annoying because my hands are destroyed from it, i also would like to know how the water line works, theres only one spot it can go & there was already a connecting rubber pipe that goes up into the coolant box (i presume) do i put them both on the one connection? or what happens?. any ideas about anything?, im so close just wonna be done already.

The speed of the turbine is based on the exhaust load, not necessarily engine speed. You could be doing 3000RPM because you've come off the throttle from 4000RPM and you're coasting down, which mean the turbine would be doing SFA. Different throttle positions would also give you a different turbine RPM for a given engine RPM.

i dont really understand why everyone is dodging my question, i got the tight bolt undone that i was having trouble with. how many water pipes are there that go into the turbo? i can only find one source of coolant and it already goes somewhere, i undone it and there is a hollow bolt with 2 holes near the head, i am assuming this is where my coolant pipe from the turbo goes? but how do i bolt it all togethor so it works? there is already something attached to that bolt?? or do i just bolt the both of them on one connection?

It's because you are explaining it so strangely and i honestly am having difficulty following your question. Think about it logically. Oil goes in, oil goes out; therefore coolant goes in, coolant goes out.

So two lines for coolant, one going in, one going out. The coolant line going into the turbo is the one that is behind the head near the rear of the intake runners. The line going out of the turbo goes into the block just underneath the turbo. It is honestly a very simple process.

Edited by PM-R33

thanks mate, its really hard to explain with the whole bolt thing, i have 1 bolt with a hole that goes through the center, it holds a metal circle in place at the middle to top rear end of the block, the metal circle is attached to a rubber hose that goes directly north and has coolant in it (because i undone it). it also happens to be the exact location where the copper (water) pipe coming from my turbo naturally hovers towards, i am unsure if i can put the corcle from the copper pipe and the circle coming from the rubber hose with coolant in it on the same bolt even tho this bolt only has 1 circle not to to produce 2 lots of water flow.. took about 10 mins typing and trying to explain this as best i could, hope someone clicks.. cheers.