SAU Community

Leak From Front Of Gearbox

mosquitocoils

Hey all, got under my car today to look at my clutch slave and remove front bar, noticed this oily leak around where the gearbox attaches at the front, anyone able to give me a hand identifying what this might be? Could this be the rear main seal I've heard so much about? Thanks.

post-58284-1261824686_thumb.jpg

I haven't noticed any fluids going down, no. My power steering has a small leak but that's leaking from the reservoir, plus this doesn't look like power steering fluid. It seems to have the consistancy and colour of engine oil.

it looks rear main seal. i had a same prob. not a big deal mate. but fix it asa u can dont use crappy stop leak stuff.

Hey all, got under my car today to look at my clutch slave and remove front bar, noticed this oily leak around where the gearbox attaches at the front, anyone able to give me a hand identifying what this might be? Could this be the rear main seal I've heard so much about? Thanks.

could also be the engine sump gasket weeping blowing back check around the meeting point between sump pan and block if not id be the rear main

it's not coming from the rocker cover gaskets? have a look further up the engine block and see if there is oil up there. mine had a similar problem and it was simply the leaking rocker cover gaskets and because i parked on a steep driveway the oil was coming out and running down the back of the engine.

good point mate. 75% possible. chk that as well

it's not coming from the rocker cover gaskets? have a look further up the engine block and see if there is oil up there. mine had a similar problem and it was simply the leaking rocker cover gaskets and because i parked on a steep driveway the oil was coming out and running down the back of the engine.

Check to see if your have a leak from your sump as it can run down and drip of from the front of the gearbox, basically try and find the highest point from where the oil is coming from.

If not then it looks to be a rear main. Its not really a problem unless it leaks onto your clutch or if the seal lets go completly and dumps a crap load of oil everywhere and potentially stuff the motor.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. It's not the rocker cover gasket, that's been changed since I"ve had it and all is still clean around there. It's definately got the look/feel of engine oil so yeah.

Might need a new clutch sometime in the next 12 months so I might leave it until then, and get it done at the same time... i should just keep monitoring my engine oil level in the meantime yeah?