SAU Community

Another V-cam Result

rtune

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke to Danny, basically its a long term thing.

They've got heaps on right now and its not first priority.

All sounds good though, we'll just have to wait :(

Yes Danny just asked me to post saying this ..

"Gary,

I would prefer someone just posts saying these are not ready for sale for at least 3 or 4 months. No more info than that really. Can you do that for me please? I don’t really get into the forum thing much any more."

So i will keep in touch and update or Steve will at a later date. Something to look forward too anyhow.

Gary

The NEO has lower valves lift than a stock RB26 head and you aren't you stuck with the single neo intake cam? Also I'm not sure about what rev limit the head and cam controller might impose. Aren't there as more people putting RB26 heads onto RB25s as their are people putting NEOs on RB26? So it might be one step forward and one step back.

The hks vcam kits come in 3 flavors, with the pro model having higher valve lift than stock, and wider degree change, the most aggressive cam profile, plus it is rated to 8500 rpm.

Another thing I found out in the fine print is the hks vcam (like the NEO) operates on oil pressure so the stock oil pump may be on the borderline, especially if your oil is too thick.

edit: I think the r34 NEO is variable, not off/on.

Edited by moneypit

Hey, Moneypit. Congratulations on the result. I am very interested in the HKS software that was provided.

We could not get anywhere with the HKS Valcon, after lots of trying - long story, better told by Steve one day, including talking to the likes of Abbey Motorsport in the UK and HKS in Japan - whilst Haltech were offering a better potential result. (It's my car at Garage 101.) A slight problem with an N1 oil pump has set us back just a smidge, but I am looking forward to the next few weeks!

Cheers. :D

MLCrisis I think in the end you'll be glad you stuck with it..

the story with the software was

a) Local HKS wouldn't help, because the v-cam was sourced from overseas

b) Mark from Abbey sent a copy of what he uses over, but it couldn't be made to work either

c) The controller was used to input a low resolution map, which worked but I've no idea how well because the tune was so bad

d) Visiting HKS guy left tunehouse with the Japanese language software which was used to program the valcon properly. The map, as you know, is just RPM vs Load.

could you have done what RacePace did and just use a PowerFC? don't know how many drama's they had... but didn't seem as bad judging from tangomatt's thread?

I might be wrong but it really doesn't matter what ECU you have, power-fc, or f-con, or haltech or whatever.

none of them either help or hinder the install and tune of the v-cam/valcon.

My drama stemmed from two things, first, buying an HKS product out of territory. For their flagship stuff

they are really fussy about that. And the second problem was unrelated to the v-cam and was just a series

of poor decisions on my part about where to take the car, and to not retrieve sooner when it became obvious

they were out of their depth..

If I was in melbourne and had gone straight to Racepace it would probably have been done, dusted, and

with a similar result, six months ago.

Nice work moneypit, good to see more people experimenting with VCAM.

Tangomatt has had a very impressive result with VCAM although he is using an HKS 2.8 bottem end and -5's.

With the 2530's it would have definetly woken them up a bit.

Awesome result...

Tangomatt has had a very impressive result with VCAM although he is using an HKS 2.8 bottem end and -5's.

Don't say it. I keep thinking: 2.8. Just another "wafer thin" 200cc. I'm stuffed already but I could stretch

for that. To round things off.

And Abbey Motorsports seems to think that small difference in cc pulls spool forward dramatically.

but what a pain.. What, $10k? for the kit. Engine out. pull it to bits. Engine back in. New tune. More than $15k I suppose.

But first and maybe last, the exhaust. Then see where that leaves things.

Don't say it. I keep thinking: 2.8. Just another "wafer thin" 200cc. I'm stuffed already but I could stretch

for that. To round things off.

And Abbey Motorsports seems to think that small difference in cc pulls spool forward dramatically.

but what a pain.. What, $10k? for the kit. Engine out. pull it to bits. Engine back in. New tune. More than $15k I suppose.

But first and maybe last, the exhaust. Then see where that leaves things.

Your right, where does it end???

Definetly a 15k exercise, I say leave it and see how far you can go with the 2.6.

So what options are you looking at exhaust wise?? This can make or break your setup....

There are so many factory setups out there now with vcam's, its a wonder noone has done it (commercially) before..... maybe perceived lack of interest.

I tell you what, i'll have it as soon as its released..... then if its only inlet cam, i'd like a second one on exhaust and go crank trigger..... yea haaa .... I can see it now, sitting in the car on the dyno for hours and hours straight , playing with the tune !

And i'm lucky to have a hi-po 3ltr bottom end on its way to me next week finally !

Gary

Definetly a 15k exercise, I say leave it and see how far you can go with the 2.6.

So what options are you looking at exhaust wise?? This can make or break your setup....

I'm asking after the Racepace custom r34 (ugly) exhaust 4" with the two mufflers that Benno likes to put on all his big cars, or I'm told the HKS Silent Hyper "works really well".

Beyond that, I've no idea. I don't really want it to be loud when just driving around.

Totally agree. It doesn't end. I'd love to put the V-Cam in mine but just cannot justify the cost.

You have a great setup now, just enjoy it :ermm: