SAU Community

Adjustable Cam Gears Selection.

Bass Junky

Okay,

I know this topic has been thrown about a lot, but I can really find any info on the following question.

Which bloody ones?

There are cam geams from just about every supplier, Tomei, HKS, Apexi and the list goes one.

The price difference between them all is also quite large.

So, are there any to stay away from or are they all as good as each other?

Also, do you need a programmable engine thingo to fit them or can you use the standard computer and not touch anything and still get results.

CHEERS

BASS OUT

Hi Bass Junky

I just went through the same scenario for the GTR. I ended going through the boys at ICE performace. I thought it would be good to get my Cam gears whilst I was changing the Cam Belt. They charge $190~ change-over. Being the genuine nissan gears re-engineered to be adjustable I had no issues about being soft allow like the HKS etc... After reading through the forum & speaking to tuners, I concluded the softer alloys were not the way to go for me.

Well i have the hks exhaust cam gear and unless u r planning on running circuit sprints every weekend u aint gonn have problems with the hks ones.

And yes u can just adjust the exhaust side with worring about anything else.

Dnt get the intake cam unless u want to loose your nivac

mesh mesh  ICE performance ones, where are they located?

What made you decide against the HKS ones?

BASS OUT

Ice Performance

7 Dissik Street, Cheltenham,

Victoria, Australia, 3192.

Ph: 03 9512 7591

[email protected]

I decide against them, basically after chatting with nigel @ ICE. If $$ is an issue, saved about $250 compared to HKS. Also heard issues about alloys being soft & longevitiy of reliabilty. And really, when I thought about it, why spend the extra for something that will do exaclty the same thing. In fact seeing the Cam Gears are genuine nissan, how wrong could I go?? They may not be as light as the HKS & others, but I'm not looking for split second qtr mile times in the 9's or 10's... :D

I bought an Apexi wheel from Greenline. It was $175 delivered. From what I can tell it's just a modified factory wheel with a new centre made by Apexi. The clearance is VERY close, there's absolutely no side to side play when the adjusters are loosened. In my mind that makes it a very high quality product.

I got it because it was the cheapest available, but wouldn't have if it wasn't a big name brand. Since it uses the steel outer edge it won't have a problem of wearing out like the slightly more expensive HKS item. It also has 5 mounting/adjusting points rather than 3, so I would think it would be less likely to work loose and slip.